• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow says they cleared a bunch of new woods.

Jcb890

Do we have any nice wide-open glades/tree runs at New England mountains? We might, I haven't found any... I would love to though!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do we have any nice wide-open glades/tree runs at New England mountains? We might, I haven't found any... I would love to though!

Probably some of the stuff at Bretton Woods. I don't have a ton of experience with their trees as the times I've skied there have been early and late season. I do recall seeing some pretty wide open glades there.

Jcb890

Probably some of the stuff at Bretton Woods. I don't have a ton of experience with their trees as the times I've skied there have been early and late season. I do recall seeing some pretty wide open glades there.

I've never been but an old co-worker was always trying to get me to go there. Its a shame NH lift tickets seem tough to get good deals on.

bdfreetuna

Timbuktu and Beaver Pond @ Jay
Semi Tough Woods @ Mt Ellen
some of the stuff at Killington is fairly wide
Poma Woods @ Pico
Doug's @ Bolton
Avalanche @ Bromley

just a few off the top of my head... actually Magic has a couple wider woods areas too

Jully

I second Pico for sure. Oz at SR as well (if that can be defined as tree skiing). It was designed mimic a 'western' style if I'm not mistaken.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I second Pico for sure. Oz at SR as well (if that can be defined as tree skiing). It was designed mimic a 'western' style if I'm not mistaken.

Oz is perhaps the single biggest travesty in trail design in New England. That or Dipper or Ovation at Killington. Ovation would have been great as two narrow trails with glades in-between

bdfreetuna

I like lower Ovation.. one of the steepest groomed pitches. The top part is usually only half groomed and the other half is windblown death cookies, so that's kind of a waste.

To add to the list, though not New England proper, nor have I skied it myself, but Sugar Valley Glades at Whiteface looked like a wide open and lengthy one based on the map and YouTube footage.

And Brackett Basin at Sugarloaf fits the bill for sure.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like lower Ovation.. one of the steepest groomed pitches. The top part is usually only half groomed and the other half is windblown death cookies, so that's kind of a waste.

That's kind of my point. It's seldom good wall to wall. Skiers right is often a mess. If you had two trails with trees in-between acting as a wind break I bet overall the terrain would ski better.

WoodCore

That's kind of my point. It's seldom good wall to wall. Skiers right is often a mess. If you had two trails with trees in-between acting as a wind break I bet overall the terrain would ski better.

Kinda like what they are/were doing with Freefall at Smuggs. It's been a while since I've skied it but last time there was an island of brush they were letting grow in the center of the headwall.

Freefall isn't open all that often but when it is open and in prime condition....... OMG (excuse my drool)! When the snow is good, I'll argue that Smuggs has far and away the best lift accessed terrain in New England!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup. If K tried to do the same with Ovation it would be so much better. The challenge in doing so is they'd likely have to cut snowmaking back due to how hard man-made eats up trees.

Attachments

• 1474596471887.jpg
    1474596471887.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 114

dlague

I've never been but an old co-worker was always trying to get me to go there. Its a shame NH lift tickets seem tough to get good deals on.

We generally skied Bretton Woods on Sunday afternoon for $25 because my brother in law lives in Coos County. That and The Ride and Ski Card had a tour stop there as well.

As far as wide open glades - Bretton Woods definitely has them. Low angle for many but not all. Others that come to mind are Jay Peak, Saddleback, Sugarbush, Owls Head, Cannon has a few, Ragged, Crotched, Pats, and if I think harder there are others, oh Magic.

dlague

Kinda like what they are/were doing with Freefall at Smuggs. It's been a while since I've skied it but last time there was an island of brush they were letting grow in the center of the headwall.

Freefall isn't open all that often but when it is open and in prime condition....... OMG (excuse my drool)! When the snow is good, I'll argue that Smuggs has far and away the best lift accessed terrain in New England!

Can't argue about the terrain but when the snow is good the darn lift line are good too - good and long.

They do have a great value proposition with the lift ticket be considerably less than others in that area. Can say the same about Jay and Burke.

machski

Oz is a mismatch, the original trails are a disaster (other than Ruby Palace) but Poppy Fields is how it should have been done. Wide open trees at SR include Blind Ambition, Yettiville, Flying Monkey and Last Tango.

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
Not heart pumping obviously, but second the Bretton Woods mention. If you are trying to get an intermediate comfortable in the trees before a trip to Steamboat for example, the BW trees are some of the best for introducing a newb to that side of the sport.

slatham

Timbuktu and Beaver Pond @ Jay
Semi Tough Woods @ Mt Ellen
some of the stuff at Killington is fairly wide
Poma Woods @ Pico
Doug's @ Bolton
Avalanche @ Bromley

just a few off the top of my head... actually Magic has a couple wider woods areas too

Re: Magic I'd argue all the glades are pretty tight and not wide open. However, Twilight Zone and Goniff would likely qualify. They look like trails on the map but are heavily treed - so much so that on Google maps they're hard to find.

Smellytele

Re: Magic I'd argue all the glades are pretty tight and not wide open. However, Twilight Zone and Goniff would likely qualify. They look like trails on the map but are heavily treed - so much so that on Google maps they're hard to find.

Not sure what everyone's definition of tight is but most woods I skied at Magic weren't what I consider tight. When I think tight I think skiing down the stream bed off of Pole cat at Wildcat or some of the top glades at Cannon (global warming glade for example)

bdfreetuna

Ya I wasn't meaning "wide" as in low tree density. I meant wide as in you can literally traverse across the mountain for a while and still be in the glade. As opposed to some narrow singletrack thing.

Magic woods generally have some of the most tree density I've seen anywhere with a couple exceptions.