• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow says they cleared a bunch of new woods.

Jcb890

My local hill has a double black diamond pitch.

While I agree it's kind of ridiculous, that one pitch, although short, is significantly steeper than anything else on the hill and the conditions can be very sketchy, so rating it as harder than everything else makes sense.
We're just being tongue-in-cheek jackasses about it all and laying on the sarcasm nice and thick.
Trail ratings in general seem to be best used for mountain-by-mountain rather than as a standard across all mountains or even in the same geographical area.

Like my example of Wachusett - their black diamonds are steeper than any of their other trails and conditions are usually sketchy (icy). However, the black diamonds at Wachusett are certainly not equivalent to a black diamond at Killington, Jay, Cannon, etc.

dlague

We're just being tongue-in-cheek jackasses about it all and laying on the sarcasm nice and thick.
Trail ratings in general seem to be best used for mountain-by-mountain rather than as a standard across all mountains or even in the same geographical area.

Like my example of Wachusett - their black diamonds are steeper than any of their other trails and conditions are usually sketchy (icy). However, the black diamonds at Wachusett are certainly not equivalent to a black diamond at Killington, Jay, Cannon, etc.

That is why you go to a smaller hill, have the wife ski a black diamond there and don't tell her the difference. Builds confidence! Not just any Black Diamond either one of your choosing to be safe!

Jcb890

That is why you go to a smaller hill, have the wife ski a black diamond there and don't tell her the difference. Builds confidence! Not just any Black Diamond either one of your choosing to be safe!
I'll get her over to the North Face @ Mount Snow next season, hopefully early in the season and as long as we do one of the wider trails over there, I think she'll be fine. Still more technique work to be done and working on riding with more speed also. She's still quite cautious about carrying speed. Towards the end of the season I was trying to get her to point it straight to go faster down some small/short sections, but she wouldn't bite.

I think we'll be up at Killington on Saturday, but I already told her she shouldn't try Superstar. I don't want to just throw her into something like that when she's not ready. She's done with her season anyways, her last day at Sunday River ended on a good note so overall I think we're both pretty happy with her progress this season.