• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best and Worst Parking at Ski Resorts

Zand

Nothing compares to the couple years between Mid-Burke Express and hotel installation at Burke when you could drive up on a Tuesday afternoon and park right underneath the 2nd or 3rd tower and be a 5 second walk from the snow.

The best category goes to any area that has minimal stairs from lot to lift. Wildcat, Skyeship, Wachusett, and Mt Snow come to mind. Conversely, Lincoln Peak, the new Stateside, Smuggs Madonna base, and Stowe to the Four Runner are some examples of too many stairs or just an obnoxiously long walk up a hill.

The absolutely worst parking situation has to be Whiteface. Parked probably 2,000 feet up a side road on a March Tuesday... can't imagine where you'd go on a holiday weekend.

The best category goes to any area that has minimal stairs from lot to lift. Wildcat, Skyeship, Wachusett, and Mt Snow come to mind. Conversely, Lincoln Peak, the new Stateside, Smuggs Madonna base, and Stowe to the Four Runner are some examples of too many stairs or just an obnoxiously long walk up a hill.

ForeRunner stairs are a bear!

cdskier

I wonder the same.

Their parking has never been something I thought was really a problem. The walk is a bit long since you have to go around Clay brook, but I never thought it was that bad. At Mt Ellen there's even less problem if you're in one of the first few rows or if the parking lot shuttle is running since it practically drops you off steps away from GMX.

At Lincoln Peak, I used to always boot up in Gate House, but have now learned that getting my ticket and using the locker room right behind ticket window and jumping on Gate House Express Lift vs Super Bravo was so much easier. Same is true at end of the day for a quick exit.

BenedictGomez

all parking up at Madonna requires walking up that god damn hill to the base lodge

False. Or, at least, it doesn't need to be. Parking at Smuggs is as hard as you make it.

The absolutely worst parking situation has to be Whiteface. Parked probably 2,000 feet up a side road on a March Tuesday... can't imagine where you'd go on a holiday weekend.

It's horrific. My strategy is to usually park in the kiddies lot and shuttle it. Any way you slice it, it's bad.

WWF-VT

I'm curious why so many people list Sugarbush's parking as one of the worst (even people that are there early). Is it the walk from the lot to the lifts that people don't like? Or it is something else?

Only amateurs park and walk at Lincoln Peak when you have the option of valet parking and to have a sherpa carry your gear for you

ironhippy

my local hill has an "unknown" lot at the top of the hill. It's not plowed good (it's plowed by the groomer) and is mostly used by the hill's race club. I boot up in my truck in that parking lot and then it's a 20 foot walk to the top of the trails (or a ski if the snow is good).

It's even better on powder days when you have to wade through the snow.

There is only a few weekends a year that it's completely full and you can quite often find a close spot at any time because the condo owners are always leaving to go back to their place.

Also if the snow is good, I can usually ski right back to my truck.

I love small hills for reasons like this and no lift lines.

dlague

This. And for best, the beach at A-Basin.

That gets filled quickly but is nice. Otherwise you are being shuttled from as far away as Keystone in the spring. It can be bad if not there early enough. Instead, we pay $20 to park next to the lodge.

edit: oops, I was thinking Vail for worst. No experience with the Loaf...

Can't beat Zoomer Bar for parking! Hopefully it will be open for business

Love that road by Zoomer or by Brookside and if real busy parking in Mittersill side.

SIKSKIER

Many moons ago I used to park there,but I beg to differ a bit.There is nothing more convenient than the Brookside pods.Step out of your car and start sliding downhill.

Attachments

• cannonpods.jpg
    cannonpods.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 155

St. Jerry

Absolute worst is WhiteFace. That 30mph wind blowing at you only makes it worse

Best: Hickory. Literally ski to your car

dlague

This. And for best, the beach at A-Basin.

edit: oops, I was thinking Vail for worst. No experience with the Loaf...

There is some truth to that. On windy cold days, you ride on Brookside lift, skate to Peabody lift and ride a lift again and by then are freezing due to inactivity. Whereas, parking by Zoomer, you walk/skate over to the lift and take a relatively short lift ride and can get after it immediately to warm up the core! Zoomer area is great for tailgating too!

On nice days, well Brookside works well due to little to no work involved!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I'm curious why so many people list Sugarbush's parking as one of the worst (even people that are there early). Is it the walk from the lot to the lifts that people don't like? Or it is something else?

+1

I always found parking to be simple, efficient, and close-by at the Bush. Both Lincoln Peak & Mt. Ellen. The handful of super busy days might put you further away than you want, but then along comes the "Jitney" to get you where you're going. Never had a complaint, either as an employee, or a skier. Weekdays at Mt. Ellen, you could easily park about 50 steps from lodge.

deadheadskier

Staff member
North isn't too bad, but south it can be a long slog uphill around the condo hotel to get to the lodge.

Sugarbush is not the worst, but I think what most people are looking for are

- level, flat parking to the lodge or the chair
- Not having to ride a shuttle
- easy access from lodge to the lift with a minimal uphill walk

Bush isn't terrible, but there are plenty of better setups in New England.

Off the top of my head the worst in New England are probably Okemo and Sugarloaf. Pretty much all of the parking at both areas suck even if you are the first one there

Jully

I've been one of the first at SL and it's almost worse because the shuttles don't run at the same frequency. I would just walk up the stairs. Occasionally you got only and attentive driver noticed you and picked you up specifically, but I'd have killed for the parking available at SR.