• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beginner Skiing out West

ski&soccermom

Hi! I have only skied on the East Coast, but have a friend whose family visited us in Vermont last winter and now want to ski out west. They have only gone skiing that one time, so are concerned about difficulty level in Colorado or Utah. Thoughts on a good family friendly beginner resort? Thanks!!!

bdfreetuna

This is what small local hills are for. Learning to ski on terrain that's not super intimidating for way less money.

If money is no object might as well go to Deer Valley and be given the silver spoon treatment. Otherwise here is a good deal for 3 lessons pretty much anywhere in Vermont:

http://skivermont.com/take-3

Jully

A fool and his money soon part :)

Eh, as people who are obsessed with the sport and spend significant money on it every year, our gut reactions are that it is not worth it to go west for someone who can't capitalize on what the west offers.

However, if it is a vacation they're after, western vacations in the mountains do offer an atmosphere that is not matched back east. There's ample beginner terrain at places and it'll be a great time. Even if we wouldn't spend our money that way if we were in their shoes, they are not us. Sadly not everything is about skiing for everyone.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Eh, as people who are obsessed with the sport and spend significant money on it every year, our gut reactions are that it is not worth it to go west for someone who can't capitalize on what the west offers.

However, if it is a vacation they're after, western vacations in the mountains do offer an atmosphere that is not matched back east. There's ample beginner terrain at places and it'll be a great time. Even if we wouldn't spend our money that way if we were in their shoes, they are not us. Sadly not everything is about skiing for everyone.

Yup and..

No ice, warmer weather, sunny skies - west is best for introducing beginners

ski&soccermom

Sorry I wasn't clear - they are from Texas, so have to fly either way. To visit us in Vermont or to go out west...If they lived here, I would definitely suggest the local hills where my kids and I learned.

Jully

Sorry I wasn't clear - they are from Texas, so have to fly either way. To visit us in Vermont or to go out west...If they lived here, I would definitely suggest the local hills where my kids and I learned.

Oh! In which case they should 100% go out west. As DHS said, no ice, warmer weather, and overall a better atmosphere. There is plenty of beginner terrain at most resorts, often more than even the eastern resorts because of the sheer size of western areas. They'll have a fantastic time!

snoseek

Loveland and powder mtn are two places that come to mind for me.

Hawkshot99

Loveland and powder mtn are two places that come to mind for me.

Powder Mtn in UT? I disagree entirely. The trail network there socks pretty bad. They are basically there just to get you back to the lift when to tired for the off trail part of your run.
I LOVED Powder Mtn, but would never recommend a beginner go there. The amenities were very lacking. While a bare bones lodge is fine for a person who goes on a ski vacation for the skiing, a casual skier wants more than just the skiing.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Shameless plug for my own mountain: Cooper just outside of Leadville, CO. Extremely beginner and family friendly, great snow, laid back, no crowds/lines, and absurdly affordable ($52 day tickets... and discounts if you buy online). </marketing>

Seriously, though - let me know if you want more info. Would be glad to give a personal mountain tour.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 12419297_10153954077906967_4643483926732804164_o.jpg
    12419297_10153954077906967_4643483926732804164_o.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 12373303_10153843139511967_1081183137845421565_n.jpg
    12373303_10153843139511967_1081183137845421565_n.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

dlague

Shameless plug for my own mountain: Cooper just outside of Leadville, CO. Extremely beginner and family friendly, great snow, laid back, no crowds/lines, and absurdly affordable ($52 day tickets... and discounts if you buy online).

Seriously, though - let me know if you want more info. Would be glad to give a personal mountain tour.

Darn you bet me to it! Agreed 100%

In fact, I mentioned this thread to my wife and the first and only word out of her mouth was "Cooper!".

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Darn you bet me to it! Agreed 100%

In fact, I mentioned this thread to my wife and the first and only word out of her mouth was "Cooper!".

Thanks! Means a lot. We love our little piece of paradise, surrounded by all the mega-resorts, but immune to the hustle & bustle.

dlague

Thanks! Means a lot. We love our little piece of paradise, surrounded by all the mega-resorts, but immune to the hustle & bustle.

We talk it up all the time! We plan on being back there again. Wife really likes the Piney Basin! The Gems Card is a way to go as well with Cooper being one of the ski areas on the card.

http://coloradoski.com/gems-card/

This card provides 2 for 1 deals at each of the following or a single ticket at 30% off. There are great Gems on this card which would provide skiing for beginners

A Basin - Limited beginner terain but has a beginner area and a cluster of a few nice beginner runs
Loveland - many beginner runs that are distribited across a few lift inculing Loveland Basin
Cooper - good beginner runs both front and back, no crowds
Monarch - A variety of beginner run including a nice winding run from the top
Sunlight - several beginner runs and two paths from the top
Powderhorn - Limited beginner runs
Granby Ranch - lots of beginner terrain clustered together that can be combined for a good variety
Eldora - Can get busy small area of beginner runs

If no concern for cost there are places like Crested Butte and Winter Park that have a good percentage of beginner terrain. Larger resorts might have lower percetage but the trail counts are high = more beginner runs.

For a complete list of Colorado resorts and there stats and trail maps go to this link

http://www.onthesnow.com/colorado/ski-resorts.html?&ud=0&o=begin

snoseek

Powder Mtn in UT? I disagree entirely. The trail network there socks pretty bad. They are basically there just to get you back to the lift when to tired for the off trail part of your run.
I LOVED Powder Mtn, but would never recommend a beginner go there. The amenities were very lacking. While a bare bones lodge is fine for a person who goes on a ski vacation for the skiing, a casual skier wants more than just the skiing.

To me the entire main frontside is approachable for a novice skier with basic skills. Even as beginners they can cut to the chase, rent midfattish skis and play around on that whole area by the detach up high. Beginners like uncrowded terrain in a relaxed atmosphere and powmow works imo. Maybe not the best for first timers but way more chill than northstar or keystone

snoseek

But yeah I agree on cooper. That's probably the perfect fit.