Seeking techy advice - for laypeople :)

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeking techy advice - for laypeople :)

Starting to work at home 3 days/week soon. Need to figure out phone situation.

I can forward office phone. But I can't use it for outgoing. Need a SIMPLE solution. I'll pay a few bucks extra/month for a simpler solution.

My my cell phone gets 1-2 bars at home, unless I setup at mailbox lol. Landline (Verizon) charges for every call, we've got it on bare bones service. And, when I'm calling people at work (medical staff) I don't want them all to have my personal phone #. So what should I do?

Someone suggested Google voice, another said Vonage. Get a cheap/free phone # and forward to cell. Is it really that simple? Would I be dialing my Google # all the time from my cell, or need to switch back and forth?

or with my ATT family plan, get a cheapo android phone ($50) and add to act ($35 then $15/month).

I cannot stress simple. Like only have to concern myself with this 5 mins/week. KISS!!! I don't use my phone for anything really, no CC or accts linked to it. So I kinda wig out at stuff being sent to my phone. I log in here each and every time lol.

I suddenly think the new phone idea is easiest and cheapest overall (if you charge per minute of aggravation time too lol). Just never deal with phone after work hours.

Press *67 to block your personal number from showing up?

people might not take your call tho. is it important that they know who is calling them?
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    Press *67 to block your personal number from showing up?

people might not take your call tho. is it important that they know who is calling them?
    Hmmmm. After I posted I remembered buying cheap cell phone won't work due to 1-2 bars. Unless we switch from Att to Verizon

If I call from landline the charge is per minute even 800 calls. So even my remote conferences would cost. And "blocked caller" isn't very professional. Incoming I can give them my office desk - it's outgoing. Maybe google voice forwarded to my work #? Ugh....I'm so confused.

That's really weird that a landline costs per minute. I recently received a few mail offers from Verizon and Xfinity for an unlimited landline for like $15 a month.

Not AT&T though.

Get a separate land line and ask employer to pay for it. They should be able to absorb the expense

employer doesn't offer a remote solution? VOIP integration with corporate phones is fairly common.

2016/17
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Skype?
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

i work from home full time. my setup is far from "simple".

i have a hard phone(VOIP) on my desk which has VPN connection back to my company. i receive and make calls which show my office DID number. i can forward to my cell phone if needed and if i'm on my cell phone i can transfer call back to my hard phone

my cell phone is company issued but under my name so if/when i do make a call their caller ID shows my name and local to CT phone number. since it is a work provided service i don't have any expectation of privacy but i don't go around publishing that number. if i were to ever leave my company i'd probably take the number with me.

i can also use my PC as a phone, jabber client, and use my same work DID extension to receive/make calls.

since the company provides all this i am not eligible to expense any personal land/cell lines. and recently company has declared that home internet, even for people like me full time remote, is no longer a permitted expense item. it is considered a common now, like electricity.

i do occasionally use the *67 feature if i have to call a vendor back while mobile. they might not answer (as i would not either when caller ID is blocked) but i leave a message and initiate the game of phone tag

2016/17
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Get a separate land line and ask employer to pay for it. They should be able to absorb the expense
    Remote is a nice to have. Their response "there's a perfectly fine phone in office you can use". So I have to absorb all costs (I go from paying $250+/mo in parking to zero with new office...so I'm already ahead). I get a laptop and Aruba box, that's all. I don't mind paying - but want to get something easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    That's really weird that a landline costs per minute. I recently received a few mail offers from Verizon and Xfinity for an unlimited landline for like $15 a month.

Not AT&T though.
    Verizon, like copper? Ours is almost $50/mo and that's with no long distance and limited local I think. Been a year since I called to say WTF so expensive. I think it's because they want me to go FIOS. But even if I add a plan that would be unlimited - still have my phone # showing. But maybe an additional landline is worth it?

So so if you use Skype or Google Voice - I understand how you can forward calls to a phone, but how do you work outgoing calls? That's what I wonder about. When on wifi on my call at house, doesn't matter how many bars.

I have no idea what my company has - all I know I as I can forward to a phone and that's all.

Thread Information