It's coming! - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: It's coming!

Because its not cold in october all signs point to a marginal winter? Thats not how this works

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by mriceyman View Post
    Because its not cold in october all signs point to a marginal winter? Thats not how this works

Exactly.....from everything I have seen the turn will happen mid to somewhat later Nov. We will have winter this year no doubt.
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    That map is from the 2008 storm. Hence my sadness as this is not 2008.
    Yes, I missed the date stamp. Sorry 'bout that...
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I just try and remain positive and hope Wildcat gets 150"+ with some sustained cold and minimal thaws. That happens and I'm sure I'll get to ski some good stuff
    My feelings exactly about Gore or Platty.

Quote Originally Posted by Los View Post
    You can "think snow" all you want -- it won't change the fact that all signs are pointing to a winter that is, at best, only marginally better than last year.

And no offense, but "think snow"? Personally, I can understand "pray" for snow (although I understand that is offensive to some), but "think" snow? It's absolutely meaningless. Pure tripe.

Again, no offense.

I guess I am showing my age. Back in '70's there was a proliferation of bumper stickers that said THINK SNOW. I was a kid then and I guess that is just burned into my brain. Plus, it was always popular to say "Pray for surf" so I save my "praying" for surf.......

In any event, one man's "tripe" is another mans inspiration.

But to your real point, that "all signs are pointing to a winter that is....marginal"? What data are you basing this on? I subscribe to Accuweather and Weatherbell (because I myself am no expert) and they both indicate signs for a colder than normal winter, not marginal. Now they may be wrong, but they have well researched data to back them up. You?
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    I guess I am showing my age. Back in '70's there was a proliferation of bumper stickers that said THINK SNOW. I was a kid then and I guess that is just burned into my brain. Plus, it was always popular to say "Pray for surf" so I save my "praying" for surf.......

In any event, one man's "tripe" is another mans inspiration.

But to your real point, that "all signs are pointing to a winter that is....marginal"? What data are you basing this on? I subscribe to Accuweather and Weatherbell (because I myself am no expert) and they both indicate signs for a colder than normal winter, not marginal. Now they may be wrong, but they have well researched data to back them up. You?
    Looks like another La Nina year. They first thought that it would switch soon but now looks to be around into February before it weakens.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Watched a weather channel segment this morning about their thoughts on winter weather trends (so take all of this with a grain of weather channel salt!!)

Their thoughts due to above average mid Oct snow on the ground in Eastern Siberia and how that has effected things in the past, is that a North Atlantic omega block with predominate, which is likely to bring at worst "normal" temps, and likely cooler than normal weather to the upper Midwest and East, with a warm, dry ridge setting up over the Rockies and Sierra's....

Time will tell....
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

http://www.plattekill.com/webcam/image3.jpg

It's here! Plattekill web cam 1pm Saturday Oct 22
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Watched a weather channel segment this morning about their thoughts on winter weather trends (so take all of this with a grain of weather channel salt!!)

Their thoughts due to above average mid Oct snow on the ground in Eastern Siberia and how that has effected things in the past, is that a North Atlantic omega block with predominate, which is likely to bring at worst "normal" temps, and likely cooler than normal weather to the upper Midwest and East, with a warm, dry ridge setting up over the Rockies and Sierra's....

Time will tell....
    Sounds pretty much the same'

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_rep...r/predicts.jsp

Thread Information