• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's coming!

Tin

NAO/AO dip, clippers, upslope, blocking, there was a miller B on one run and the EURO put 5" of snow down on another.All for late October. Models went full...

1468546992648.jpg

Last edited:

slatham

Whoa, calm down guys. Just because some fancy computer model spits out some pretty maps doesn't really mean a lot, especially this time of year when boundary layer temps are marginal and the ground is beyond warm. And I don't think I've ever seen one of those 45 day snowfall maps that shows a snowmageddon scenario actually verify. And I'll take the under on 18" of snow in the 'Dacks.

Still, it does get the juices flowing and it beats the blowtorch we've been having! A always, THINK SNOW!

Jully

Whoa, calm down guys. Just because some fancy computer model spits out some pretty maps doesn't really mean a lot, especially this time of year when boundary layer temps are marginal and the ground is beyond warm. And I don't think I've ever seen one of those 45 day snowfall maps that shows a snowmageddon scenario actually verify. And I'll take the under on 18" of snow in the 'Dacks.

Still, it does get the juices flowing and it beats the blowtorch we've been having! A always, THINK SNOW!

That map is from the 2008 storm. Hence my sadness as this is not 2008.

Tin

That map is from the 2008 storm. Hence my sadness as this is not 2008.

Damn it! I was hoping no one would catch it. I can see Jay and Stowe getting 3-4" up high but nothing like the October systems from 2008 or 2005. The Euro really goes wild with upslope though. Wait and see. Just hope to see some flakes at Magic on Saturday.

Los

You can "think snow" all you want -- it won't change the fact that all signs are pointing to a winter that is, at best, only marginally better than last year.

And no offense, but "think snow"? Personally, I can understand "pray" for snow (although I understand that is offensive to some), but "think" snow? It's absolutely meaningless. Pure tripe.

Again, no offense.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Los

Sorry to be snippy - I'm just really bummed out. All the baseless positivity in the world won't help.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can "think snow" all you want -- it won't change the fact that all signs are pointing to a winter that is, at best, only marginally better than last year.

And no offense, but "think snow"? Personally, I can understand "pray" for snow (although I understand that is offensive to some), but "think" snow? It's absolutely meaningless. Pure tripe.

Again, no offense.

I'm curious where you are getting "all signs" from? That's a strong deceleration.

I rarely participate in any long term weather discussions on AZ because in 41 years, the only conclusion I've come up with is our New England weather is a total crap shoot.

Was the record snowfall for southern New England predicted by many two years ago? Was this summer's incredibly sunny and record draught predicted by many?

Maybe they were. I just have a really hard time paying attention to anything more than a five day forecast.

I just try and remain positive and hope Wildcat gets 150"+ with some sustained cold and minimal thaws. That happens and I'm sure I'll get to ski some good stuff

ALLSKIING

Staff member

Again, no offense.

What reports are you reading about this up coming winter?

Jully

Damn it! I was hoping no one would catch it. I can see Jay and Stowe getting 3-4" up high but nothing like the October systems from 2008 or 2005. The Euro really goes wild with upslope though. Wait and see. Just hope to see some flakes at Magic on Saturday.

Haha i shouldn't have said anything. Better yet just erase the 2008 in MS Paint next time! Get everyone all riled up.

Jully

Again, no offense.

Yeah I'm curious too. For all the record years I remember there were years that looked the same initially and were totally different.

Depends on your definition of marginal. If I can get a solid 30 day span of open trees, that'll be great haha. I think temps will be a lot better, which is priority 1 for me. Snowfall is a different story, but happiness is all relative right!?