• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

Smellytele

I don't care what's coming, today was a 10 weather wise!

Edit-while there certainly will be some mix in, I'm not convinced this system coming in is gonna be so bad. Some sloppy snow with a freeze would really fill some of the stuff in nicely. It doesn't look like a wash out

Here is the latest for wildcat:
Tonight
A chance of freezing drizzle, mainly after 4am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 19. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph after midnight.

Tuesday
A chance of snow and freezing drizzle before 7am, then snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tuesday Night
Snow before 5am, then snow likely, possibly mixed with sleet. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 29. Southeast wind around 10 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Wednesday
Snow likely before noon, then a chance of rain and snow showers between noon and 1pm, then a chance of rain showers after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. North wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday Night
A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph.

snoseek

Its not raining so far. Snow is actually coming down pretty good at the moment

Jully

Its not raining so far. Snow is actually coming down pretty good at the moment

Its been all snow at the River. Forcast changed late last night and its a little colder and snowier than previously expected. Still supposed to maybe change later in the afternoon.

snoseek

Its more like a frozen mixture now. Skiing is decent. Maybe a couple inches overnight?

snoseek

Surfy dense snow this morning. First run on wildcat all the way was biblical. This stuff will set and be awfully firm but really good for the future

snoseek

Heavier even. A foot of this would be torture but 4 or so inches is perfect!

deadheadskier

Staff member
What's your thoughts on tomorrow? I haven't been up in the valley since I last saw you 12/26. Trying to decide which NH Peaks area to hit tomorrow.

snoseek

What's your thoughts on tomorrow? I haven't been up in the valley since I last saw you 12/26. Trying to decide which NH Peaks area to hit tomorrow.

I came over to attitash after lunch. If it didn't freeze rock solid I would point you to the bumps off the quad and idiots option....they are skiing amazing but I feel like things will stiffen up tonight. Maybe try both?

Edd

Heavier even. A foot of this would be torture but 4 or so inches is perfect!

I hit a foot of snow exactly like that at Wildcat 2 or 3 years ago and it kicked my ass. That day went very different than I thought it would. I was an exhausted, sweaty mess after the first run.

Jully

I hit a foot of snow exactly like that at Wildcat 2 or 3 years ago and it kicked my ass. That day went very different than I thought it would. I was an exhausted, sweaty mess after the first run.

Gotta be careful with that too! I've gone from a scraped off headwall into a dense pile and double ejected before... only double eject I've ever had and it was not fun.

dlague

Gotta be careful with that too! I've gone from a scraped off headwall into a dense pile and double ejected before... only double eject I've ever had and it was not fun.

Dense wet snow sucks!

Wife and I skied Gunstock one night after a day of snowing wet snow. We decided to poach Ricochet which had about 8-10 inches of fresh - wet cement. It was so hard to ski in that we bailed at the first opportunity. Our legs got beat up! We experienced the same at Loveland back in April about a foot of new wet snow and skiing straight was the only option!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I came over to attitash after lunch. If it didn't freeze rock solid I would point you to the bumps off the quad and idiots option....they are skiing amazing but I feel like things will stiffen up tonight. Maybe try both?
Attitash today was better than expected. It was firm for sure, but certainly edgeable and not all boilerplate. I was bummed to find they had groomed out Idiots option. That turned out to be the worst surface on the hill.

A lot of the natural stuff was frozen up coral reef, but some skied okay. The bumps on Moat seemed to ski the best of what I hit. Too bad they'll be groomed out soon.

1505bacba05d42929b6dc55ae808e683.jpg

Overall a satisfying ski day. Exceeded my expectations with the temperature variation of the past few days.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Today is excellent carving snow. Almost unbelievably good packed powder wall to wall. Best I've seen in a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Today is excellent carving snow. Almost unbelievably good packed powder wall to wall. Best I've seen in a couple years.

Nice. Guess tomorrow is the day I head up if it's skiing that well. Was thinking of waiting until Sunday for lesser crowds, but it may be more skied off by then.

Are they blowing all of lower Catapult or just the very bottom to connect Alley cat back over?

Smellytele

Nice. Guess tomorrow is the day I head up if it's skiing that well. Was thinking of waiting until Sunday for lesser crowds, but it may be more skied off by then.

Are they blowing all of lower Catapult or just the very bottom to connect Alley cat back over?

And Sunday is kids pay their age day...

yeggous

They have a couple guns at top and bottom, but no, just Alley Cat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They have a couple guns at top and bottom, but no, just Alley Cat.

Today they were blasting full bore TTB on lower Catapult. They were turning guns off when I left at 2, so I assume it's got enough to get groomed out after it cures. Alley Cat was open with whales, which was fun.

All of the groomed terrain was absolutely exceptional this morning as you described. Total hero cordoroy with no concern for ice. Nothing got all that skied off by the time I left. Even natural terrain skied really well in most spots that had some traffic to break up crust. Upper Wildcat, Lift Lion, Feline and Catenary were all fun. Off map out in T Brook area is plenty filled in and good to go.

acb962dfdcf47d3e52796bcfa5f4ccc9.jpg

4ea1070f07ba6364aa030e4ea61c839c.jpg

33bdc1c4cd233e511c5b0b48dfeb0a15.jpg

a3dd5e20e60485cd2b732cc009d78be0.jpg

Almost had to file a complaint for no Tomcat chair today when the lift lines peaked at 4 minutes. It was a struggle.

a2fcb8aa609d0e6dd1a0828c862fa931.jpg