• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

Jully

Even the 12th is a week early for them though! They've usually been more like the 18th-21st or so.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Even the 12th is a week early for them though! They've usually been more like the 18th-21st or so.

Very true. I think the major snowmaking upgrade of a few years ago has pushed their focus a little earlier to help their pass product for Atticat better compete with Bretton Woods. They probably wouldn't have turned the old crappy system on this week.

Angus

I didn't ski at Wildcat last year but hiked down from summit over summit. I was really impressed by all the snowmaking improvements made in past 20 months. Good luck to them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
About that yes. Looks like Upper Lynx is ready to go. Hopefully they get something out of this storm that they can pack down a little to make the snowmaking requirements needed to open a bit less. Crossing my fingers they open on the fifth.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Radio silence from them. I'm assuming that they are going to wait for a strong 48-72 hour period before firing up again. They likely lost a lot of money last year constantly hammering Lynx during a similar weather pattern. I don't blame them for being more conservative this year

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

Email from Peaks today says they'll be making snow this weekend...

Snowmaking is on! Wildcat Mountainhas a head start and will be firing the snowmaking back up this weekend. Mount Snow made snow on Wednesday &Hunter Mountainwill be joining in Friday night. All three resorts intend to make snow over the weekend as we start the push towards opening up for the 16/17 ski season.

JimG.

Staff member
I picked up my season passes from Hunter last week and the plan I was told was to open there on the 19th or so.

Hoping to get some skiing in early next week, just not very motivated by limited terrain at this point. Ski gear ready to travel.

snoseek

You haven't been yet?

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Nope, things are much different for me this year. I will have a long window from mid December to mid jan and will be laid of for all of February and a reasonable class load. I figure once we get open ill find a day though

snoseek

Guns are back on. Hoping they have a productive weekend!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Challenging conditions at Wildcat today. The top skied well, the bottom was a little rough with a surface of loose granular and death cookies. There was a groomer broken down on Lower Lynx, so perhaps that happened close to opening and they weren't able to make a final pass. The bartender said feedback from Friday and Saturday was much better.

Conditions did seem to improve throughout the day as the cookies got broken up. Some bumps formed here and there, which were fun. Slick in-between them though so I was happy to have good edges. For $25 Sport Thoma in Bartlett does a great job. Thanks for the recommendation Yeggous.

For those interested, they've expanded the mug club this year. They go on sale 12/2 at 10AM.

d8f4e1d7969b1e29dbe94a13346ecb2b.jpg

14c56245b02041e61458d442cc6d85ab.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

I was there on Friday and Saturday. Conditions on Lynx were great both days. It was creamy soft snow that bumped up nicely on all the steeper sections. There was no shortage of novices sliding down on their butts in those sections. I had a great time.

I went to Bretton Woods today. Conditions were pretty good. The secondary surface was scratchy, but there was a nice coating of soft fresh on top.

ScottySkis

So with all this rai+ forecast midweek for Catskills. Maybe I take midweek day that off this week and go the Cat. What you locals thinking it be all Snow Tuesday and Wednesday ?
n

snoseek

So with all this rai+ forecast midweek for Catskills. Maybe I take midweek day that off this week and go the Cat. What you locals thinking it be all Snow Tuesday and Wednesday ?
n

Tough call but Tuesday looks safer than Wednesday to me.

Opened my season today. Couple breaks at the bar but mostly skied open to close. That quad is TOO fast for my early season legs. I intentionally beat myself up because I'm busy for the next few weeks and need to get conditioned....my last couple runs were a shitshow. Good skiing with you again deadhead....gonna be a fun season!