• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

yeggous

Today was excellent. Soft snow all day. Even a coating of fresh in the afternoon. The recent storm was a net gain at the top, and loss at the bottom.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1480718943.142495.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Today was excellent. Soft snow all day. Even a coating of fresh in the afternoon. The recent storm was a net gain at the top, and loss at the bottom.

View attachment 21123

Damn, I predicted it would suck and didn't want to risk the drive. Shame on me. Good for you.

yeggous

Damn, I predicted it would suck and didn't want to risk the drive. Shame on me. Good for you.

Today was decent. Hard pack covered by fresh. It snowed all day. Top third was great. You could rail through the S turns. Bottom two thirds were cut up after Lynx and Polecat converged. They were blowing on Middle Polecat and Upper and Middle Catapult.

snoseek

I've decided im ditching class on Wednesday and heading up

deadheadskier

Staff member
Today is quite good. Dropped the rope on Upper Catapult. Fun, but glazed donut skiing. Upper Polecat skiing great. Hopefully by next weekend we have three unique ttb routes.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ventured on to Lift Lion today. As long as things stay cold up top, the natural base is starting to set up nice. Frozen solid. Didn't break through and hit any rocks.

f01e1d56f994fa749baddd3b5adcceef.jpg

gmcunni

booked a condo for pres weekend. looking forward to trying Wildcat, and Attitash, for the first time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
booked a condo for pres weekend. looking forward to trying Wildcat, and Attitash, for the first time.
Enjoy. Would love to make some turns with you and show you around, but I didn't buy the full pass this year. My pass is blacked out that weekend. I'll be at Crotched.

yeggous

Ping me when the date gets closer. I'll almost certainly be there that weekend.

Edd

I was there today. Not bad but Middle Lynx being the only way down is a bit rough. It's looking good for the next few days.

thebigo

First day out, did about a dozen runs with my dad. Old timer does well for being north of 70. Lynx is in good shape only scraped in a few places late afternoon. Imagine it may get ugly on saturday, they need another option on the lower mountain. Picked my way down the old gondola line once, not in bad shape considering. Upper catapult still covered in whales, not sure why they haven't mowed it down.

Planning on cannon thursday and crotched saturday.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably just letting the Whales drain a bit. Groom it out to soon and you get the death cookies. I'm sure lower Polecat will be open for the weekend. The question is whether or not they'll get Middle Catapult > Middle Wildcat > Bobcat open.

What I've come to realize when they say, "We are giving our snowmakers a break" and the temps are fine to make snow, what they really mean is, "We need to refill the snowmaking pond." Might not happen before the weekend to sufficiently cover a route on that side of the hill.

snoseek

I noticed the "break" also and drew the same conclusion. Gonna hit it tomorrow....It will be nice to have options up high anyway.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's only a 2 million gallon pond, which is tiny by New England standards. It would be great if they expanded it some day so they could blow the place open faster at the start of the season, but I doubt we ever see it. Part of the deal with a no frills ski area. We love it for that reason, but there are certain drawbacks.

Have fun up there!

snoseek

It's only a 2 million gallon pond, which is tiny by New England standards. It would be great if they expanded it some day so they could blow the place open faster at the start of the season, but I doubt we ever see it. Part of the deal with a no frills ski area. We love it for that reason, but there are certain drawbacks.

Have fun up there!

Thanks I will. I'm patient. So far they seem to be committed...I don't expect them to expand like bigger budget areas. In the long run I know Pinkham will catch up anyhow

Edd

Regarding snowmaking, not much is being made in the MWV by my observations this am. I drove by Attitash and saw zero guns going. They might just be saving $ but I'm at BW today and no guns are going here either.

yeggous

Regarding snowmaking, not much is being made in the MWV by my observations this am. I drove by Attitash and saw zero guns going. They might just be saving $ but I'm at BW today and no guns are going here either.

They temperatures turn less than ideal today and tomorrow. They probably are just playing it conservative knowing that really productive weather is coming this weekend.