• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
42d2a906c03f4834ea9402c7f4b2a471.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

The Cat got the goods today. Had to be 6" at the time I left. Alley Cat and Upper Wildcat were sweet.

yeggous

I didn't measure but would guess 8" today. It was deeper than my boots in the parking lot walking to my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Great Day. Great week at the Cat. Tuesday and today especially. So much fun. It goes without saying, but the skiing this week blew away anything we saw last year.

Edd

From the snow report:

"Morning Update - 8:45am: Patrol has closed some trails due to warm temps and in order to preserve them. Please check the updated trail count to see what is open and what is closed. *We do not have any beginner terrain open at this time.*"

Trail count has dropped from 35 yesterday to 19 today.

snoseek

Looks like tomorrow is going to be brutal. I may have to try out attitash unless there some miracle on the backside of this.

drjeff

I'm sure any mtn ops director would ideally want to close any mtn tomorrow, let the snowpack set up and drain a bit prior to either putting a cat or snowmaking on any trail to get the best surface going forward

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

I'm sure any mtn ops director would ideally want to close any mtn tomorrow, let the snowpack set up and drain a bit prior to either putting a cat or snowmaking on any trail to get the best surface going forward

Doc they blasting the hell out of existing terrain at snow tomorrow?

drjeff

Doc they blasting the hell out of existing terrain at snow tomorrow?
Resurfacing is apparently started already! Can't look out my window and verify fan gun lights or not, as we bailed back home to CT HOURS ahead of when the front and quick freeze hit this afternoon! Glad we did as there were sections of the roads we travel through Southern VT and Northern MA that were still quite slushy and sketchy with above freezing temps around noon today, would of been UGLY had we left at 3:30ish like we usually do on a Sunday :eek:

Gotta give the Mtn ops folks a solid 36-48hrs now to get things back on a significant scale and then hope for some snow this week

snoseek

Resurfacing is apparently started already! Can't look out my window and verify fan gun lights or not, as we bailed back home to CT HOURS ahead of when the front and quick freeze hit this afternoon! Glad we did as there were sections of the roads we travel through Southern VT and Northern MA that were still quite slushy and sketchy with above freezing temps around noon today, would of been UGLY had we left at 3:30ish like we usually do on a Sunday :eek:

Gotta give the Mtn ops folks a solid 36-48hrs now to get things back on a significant scale and then hope for some snow this week

Thursday looks like things will start getting better.

Just looked at the wildcat base cam and you can actually see the light bouncing off the glare!

dlague

Problem solved....

fa30774b3e96544f4dee618ec6e2aad159af237740b661a465fc946e20c2f4f6.jpg
Now you made me feel guilty of misrepresenting them. My wife generally rallies the troops and our son is generally eager. But there are days when they are just not into it so I suck it up and deal. No biggie - we are still targeting 50 days.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Skied Wildcat this morning and Attitash this afternoon. Attitash is skiing quite a bit better. It sorta seems to me maybe they're running low on water up there? They've focused on Wldkitten/snowcat this week but there weren't any guns running today and honestly they could probably use some more cruisy stuff like cheetah/alleycat going into vacation week or just a refresher on open stuff. Guns were blazing at attitash

Breeze

Consider all the parts.......labor costs for snowmakers, which may still be guys working on both properties, the absolute need for beginner lesson terrain going into vacation week, the sheer numbers of kids programs for the season are all moving parts.
the snowmking pond for the CAT is pumped up/ topped up from the Peabody.
Snowmakers hit OT at 56 hrs. Weather forecast iffy over the weekend and the crowds arrive Monday Tuesday.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Consider all the parts.......labor costs for snowmakers, which may still be guys working on both properties, the absolute need for beginner lesson terrain going into vacation week, the sheer numbers of kids programs for the season are all moving parts.
the snowmking pond for the CAT is pumped up/ topped up from the Peabody.
Snowmakers hit OT at 56 hrs. Weather forecast iffy over the weekend and the crowds arrive Monday Tuesday.

Translated: the snowmaking budget is small. Let's be honest, labor costs when it comes to snowmaking is a very small component in comparison to the electricity and diesel costs. I don't expect Sunday River snowmaking budgets for Wildcat/Attitash, but with how slow Attitash was getting going and the amount of prime days Wildcat has skipped out on it's clear that they are not maximizing the resources they have and it shows.

Conditions at Wildcat were perfect for snowmaking today. Great temps, little wind, full pond. It would have been nice to see them blasting all day on Cheetah or Alley Cat to expand terrain for later in the week. The terrain they do have open was skiing absolutely terrible, so guns should be going full bore all night to resurface the problem areas - Middle Lynx, Catapult below the Lift Lion intersection and Bobcat were really bad. Sections of Polecat too. Not a single gun turned on. That's not a good plan for a holiday week when you're likely to see new customers who are ripe for first impressions.

Over at Attitash for the afternoon and there are limited guns going here too.

It's a shame. Both areas have the resources to do so much better, but they choose not to and likely lose a lot of business to competitors.

deadheadskier

Staff member
On to satisfy Edd's beer requirements on trip reports, Heather has a jar of sharpies behind the bar for people to customize their mugs.

Deadheadskier mug :

c42a706dda9b86398be4d19ee912f695.jpg