• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

john1200c

Groomers skied well first thing this morning. They really could have used a resurface as things skied off pretty quick. Left at noon and migrated down to Attitash....again the skiing is considerably better down there right now IMO. Hopefully some natural comes in soon and Wildcat can do what it does best.

I spent a few years working at Kirkwood and its similar where Vail picked it up on the cheap to diversify that epic option in Tahoe...we were the redheaded bastard step child for Vail Resorts and corporate was insanely tight on spending any kind of money down there....but you better believe rolling into vacation week budgets, overtime ect were ignored as its a crucial time with so many visitors coming to the hill. I guess the thing that makes the cat special(no lodging) is also the thing that holds it back. Either way I love it there.

I think I might have been talking to you in the bar at Bear, you were there waiting for a friend, right?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

yeggous

They're blowing on intermittent spots on Lynx. This is good as it really, really needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

kskis20

Any1 know how the conditions have been in elevator shaft or TB yet? Should be good after the 15-24 inches coming in

yeggous

Any1 know how the conditions have been in elevator shaft or TB yet? Should be good after the 15-24 inches coming in

Was there today. The natural snow terrain is barren. There's a bit up high, but little to none down low. With the wind coming on Friday, I'm not sure that I expect a best case outcome.

Other than that, conditions exceeded expectations today. I showed up around 10am, took a lunch break 11:30-12:30 and then skied until last chair.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good to hear on the conditions.

From what I saw Monday I'd agree. Tbrook probably will be good to go for folks with little concern for their bases. Elevator being lower elevation and requiring more snow would likely still be sketchy unless the snow is really dense and at the upper end of the projected totals.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Word around the valley is that Attitash was terrible today. I haven't heard a good thing about them all season. People seemed to be fed up by the lack of a real product of their part. It's as if they gave up and don't even try.

mlkrgr

It is no wonder that skier visits are down at the Cat under Peaks ownership. Under the Franchi ownership, they used to be much more very generous on midweek promo days and even comp passes. Now, the ticket window just gives a mere handful of days that are 2 for 1. The price sensitive folks are at Cannon as their lifts (at least on 12/22 when I was there) were going up with someone on almost every chair on a 2 for 1 day with 3-4 people on each chair and a 10 chair wait on the peak of the day. Plus, Cannon has far more open that the Cat and Attitash at the moment. Plus, add a day went away under Peaks which was $39 under the Franchi ownership for people paying at the window.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Word around the valley is that Attitash was terrible today. I haven't heard a good thing about them all season. People seemed to be fed up by the lack of a real product of their part. It's as if they gave up and don't even try.

what a drag :(

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is no wonder that skier visits are down at the Cat under Peaks ownership. Under the Franchi ownership, they used to be much more very generous on midweek promo days and even comp passes. Now, the ticket window just gives a mere handful of days that are 2 for 1. The price sensitive folks are at Cannon as their lifts (at least on 12/22 when I was there) were going up with someone on almost every chair on a 2 for 1 day with 3-4 people on each chair and a 10 chair wait on the peak of the day. Plus, Cannon has far more open that the Cat and Attitash at the moment. Plus, add a day went away under Peaks which was $39 under the Franchi ownership for people paying at the window.

I'm a short timer at Cat relatively speaking. Started skiing there in 2006 and basically only weekends since. I've had a pass 3 out of the past 4 seasons, but Wildcard prior to that for a few years. I definitely remember the Franchi discounts you speak of even though I didn't take advantage of many of them as they were mostly midweek. When Peaks bought the mountain, there were conversations in this forum regarding all those discounts going away.

Last winter I took a few days off midweek to ski there. This winter I've skied there a lot midweek due to a recent job layoff. Between those experiences my observations are it's the same retiree crowd midweek and little else. Wildcat is a lot more difficult to get to than Cannon for the midweek day skier crowd from Boston, but I have to imagine cutting those programs is reducing business like you say.

How great would it be if one operator came in and bought up Cat, Attitash, Black and Cranmore and unified them under one pass with appropriate investments in infrastructure and operations?

john1200c

I can attest to that. Awful there Wednesday bar was full at Bear by 11:05..

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

I can attest to that. Awful there Wednesday bar was full at Bear by 11:05..

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

To be fair I don't think anywhere that's lower elevation is skiing great right now. Course the lack of a product all season doesnt help their case though.

snoseek

I cant speak for yesterday but last week I thought attitash was skiing somewhat decent.

I skied quite a bit at the cat growing up 80's and into the 90s. Yeah the place is totally dead on the midweek...like scary slow and the weekends so far seem pretty tame compared to years past. I've gotta say this somewhat appealing but not sustainable.

I love the idea of a unified MWV. Black always worries me as its a great little area that just seems on the brink

john1200c

To be fair I don't think anywhere that's lower elevation is skiing great right now. Course the lack of a product all season doesnt help their case though.

Completely agree. In fact Attitash was really nice before the weather event Monday evening. Not a lot of terrain but what they had was good.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

yeggous

26" storm total and blowing sideways right now.

Edd

Snow report says triples on wind hold but the HSQ is running. Don't remember seeing that before.