• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
Both Attitash and Wildcat closed Monday and Tuesday. They are at least a bit honest on Wildcats website that it's in part a business decision. I still think it's kind of lame to make the call to close Tuesday two days out. A lot of these systems that have called for rain this winter have ended up being mostly snow in Pinkham Notch.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Oh man looks like I'm buying a ticket to ski in shit weather somewhere tomorrow that blows!

Edit-fuck it I'm going to Sugarloaf as work and class got me busy till next Sunday and I need to TRY to have a good day tomorrow. Crossing my fingers

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

Cranmore,Ragged,Black,Gunstock,&Sunapee
All closed today due to the weather....not just Tash/Cat

Not totally true.Cranmore and Black are closed for the week and will reopen for one last weekend.Nothing to do with the weather.Ragged and Sunapee are open today.Come on people,we barely had a shower today.Just report it for what your intentions are and not blame the weather.Its too cold,oh it might rain,or the wind might blow.What a bunch of crap you guys are buying.Yesterday I could certainly understand,closing for 2 days in advance for possible rain is totally different.Whatever.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not totally true.Cranmore and Black are closed for the week and will reopen for one last weekend.Nothing to do with the weather.Ragged and Sunapee are open today.Come on people,we barely had a shower today.Just report it for what your intentions are and not blame the weather.Its too cold,oh it might rain,or the wind might blow.What a bunch of crap you guys are buying.Yesterday I could certainly understand,closing for 2 days in advance for possible rain is totally different.Whatever.

I'll admit the weather was no excuse for not opening either Attitash or Wildcat today

I don't think any of us pass holders are under any illusion that today's closings aren't related to business levels. And if you read between the lines, they admit that's the case now. From the report: "S[FONT=&quot]orry for the inconvenience but at this point in the season we feel that our ski days should be our best days".

If that's what they have to do to financially be able to operate Wildcat until the end of April if not into May, I'm quite happy with that decision.

[/FONT]
Now, when you made your comment the other day, yes that was weather related. 100+mph winds right across the street! Just because Cannon was able to operate Peabody and Mittersill that day doesn't mean the conditions were the same 40 miles away to run lower mountain lifts at Wildcat. I'm sure on that day the winds were crazy near the top of Bobcat and Tomcat as well. So, maybe they could have run the Snowcat. There would have been no point in opening a beginner chair servicing 2 green trails and 300 vertical. Also, it's not like they don't push it with winds there if they are coming out of the West. Just two weeks ago the wind was so crazy I stopped riding the Quad and stuck to the Bobcat for part of the day. It felt like you could get blown clear off the chair at the summit.

Jully

Also, it's not like they don't push it with winds there if they are coming out of the West. Just two weeks ago the wind was so crazy I stopped riding the Quad and stuck to the Bobcat for part of the day. It felt like you could get blown clear off the chair at the summit.

I wonder about what the wear and tear on the summit quad looks like sometimes.

SIKSKIER

No worries.I love Wildcat,in fact because its a lot like Cannon by being just a ski area with no housing and big mt skiing in the east with old school terrain.Just seems strange some of the closings for cold and such.I mean it certainly isnt colder than SL or many Quebec ski areas for sure.It just seems they look real hard to find a reason to close.So many others have had numerous wind holds in the past month with very limited lifts but they still run something.Now that I think about it I may have answered my own question.These areas all have skiers in mt lodging to satisfy.Whatever,dont get sensitive about me banging on the Cat because I am a big fan.I just have an opinion thats all.

ExtremeRyan

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490898686.972871.jpg
In case anyone was wondering, the backcountry at wildcat is pretty phenomenal right now, especially the Brook. Snowpack is still pretty deep.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

Today's total was 16" or so. Snow turned heavier and bumped up big time this afternoon. They were 100% open before the storm so today was amazing. Probably the best day of the year measured bell to bell.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Absolutely incredible day at Wildcat today. Probably my best non-powder day this season. It stayed perfect packed powder conditions until about 1:30. Started to get a little sticky after that, which was also great, but I was digging the mid winter conditions of earlier in the day. Just amazing

ff10d573fd685addf1a2d546205c3645.jpg
8b1bee6c8db313c5371870f89162c588.jpg
fc161fbe5f43d77305bf032609f60c87.jpg
dc84fed2fcbce530b09d2960cebfc921.jpg
7f7e6033f63e172d5b164f4120cfc0dc.jpg

Brad J

Absolutely incredible day at Wildcat today. Probably my best non-powder day this season. It stayed perfect packed powder conditions until about 1:30. Started to get a little sticky after that, which was also great, but I was digging the mid winter conditions of earlier in the day. Just amazing

ff10d573fd685addf1a2d546205c3645.jpg
8b1bee6c8db313c5371870f89162c588.jpg
fc161fbe5f43d77305bf032609f60c87.jpg
dc84fed2fcbce530b09d2960cebfc921.jpg
7f7e6033f63e172d5b164f4120cfc0dc.jpg

I was also there today and it was a Great day, Gondiline skied as well as I have ever seen it in quite some time, great pictures

Quietman

Glad to see that a Peaks resort treated you better today! I need to get to the cat this year....

snoseek

Man, today was again amazing with a more spring feel with spring like snow, amazing weather (50 cent), and a base that is set up well. Im skipping life tomorrow and going back...and that looks to be snowy. Busy crowd I suspect alot of attitash people came over. I wonder if we will see them tomorrow

snoseek

The good times continued today! Creamy powder on the top two thirds and mank below that for the last 500 vert.