• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

Edd

I'm sorry to be missing these recent good days. When I get back some spring skiing at the Cat will be my top priority if I'm lucky enough with weather.

drjeff

Peaks director of Eastern marketing tweeted yesterday about "at least" another month of skiing at the Cat! Not sure if it's daily or eventually mid week only, but baring a major meltdown by mother nature, Wildcat will be a May player this season!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Peaks director of Eastern marketing tweeted yesterday about "at least" another month of skiing at the Cat! Not sure if it's daily or eventually mid week only, but baring a major meltdown by mother nature, Wildcat will be a May player this season!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

The Peaks marketing team has little attachment to reality. I take everything they say with a shaker of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

This morning was dreamy. New snow was thick for sure but Tahoe schooled me on how to ski that stuff. My first four runs were completely untracked trees in places Deadhead has showed me this winter.

As the day wore on my legs got tired as this was day four up there beating the shit out of myself in spring pow. I'm now ready for corn please!

This stretch sorta concludes my east coast dirtbaggery for the year which turned out awesome as I originally thought I wouldn't get much in. I adjusted my priorities last minute and it truly has been an awesome experience. Pretty much Mondays and the occasional sunday or Wednesday thrown in from here on out.

snoseek

I'm sorry to be missing these recent good days. When I get back some spring skiing at the Cat will be my top priority if I'm lucky enough with weather.

I forgot to mention I saw your friends in the bar yesterday and they were quick to point out your pickiness this year lol!

SIKSKIER

"Due to inclement weather we will be closed for skiing & riding this Thursday April 20th & Friday April 21st".Will not rain at all today.I was looking to head up tonite and ski tomorrow but seeing tomorrows weather I cancelled that but today?I wish they would just tell the truth.I dont know why this bugs me but it does.I think its great they are still open.Why dont they just schedule weekends only at this point.

xwhaler

"Due to inclement weather we will be closed for skiing & riding this Thursday April 20th & Friday April 21st".Will not rain at all today.I was looking to head up tonite and ski tomorrow but seeing tomorrows weather I cancelled that but today?I wish they would just tell the truth.I dont know why this bugs me but it does.I think its great they are still open.Why dont they just schedule weekends only at this point.

I was a bit surprised they were open this week to be honest. I'm guessing they thought perhaps as the only mtn open in NH they could potentially capture some April vacation traffic.
My suspicion is after seeing low crowds Mon-Wed this week they decided it made more prudent business sense to just shut down until the wknd.

snoseek

Glorious last day brook laps all afternoon. By the time they reopen consider that done but today it was just awesome. What a great year, awesome mountain!

chuckstah

Is this the last weekend for Wildcat? What kind of shape is the mountain in?
WC was very variable trail to trail Monday. Some areas of real thin cover, other spots nice and deep. I would assume this is the last weekend. The website no longer says 'targeting May' Maybe they will do another Monday opening if the forecast is good to make it til May that way? From Monday
529b14bbf28dd519e09788bb8429eb57.jpg
f5db0516a35d6a259b175de35a1fb222.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

That looks to be about how it looked when I was there last on 4/17, last Monday. Some spots pretty deep, some spots almost gone.

snoseek

The deepest snow by far I found was in TB last Monday

snoseek

Yep I was hoping for a Monday miracle! I need to work Monday at 4 so Free day At SR isn't really gonna work

deadheadskier

Staff member
The deepest snow by far I found was in TB last Monday
When the wind blows that's where all the snow goes and it gets very little sun, so the snow preservation is fantastic.

I've read that once upon a time there was plans to put a lift, trails and a second base lodge out there. Glad it never happened. Though I wish the USFS realized what a great skiing resource that bowl is and opened up even more side country lines. Maybe someday they can form a partnership with Granite Backcountry Alliance.

Here's the information of those past expansion plans:

https://books.google.com/books?id=f...&q=wildcat mountain terrain expansion&f=false

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app