• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2016-7: It's On!

mriceyman

I say just stick with tuna's forecasts. If he says it's going to dump stay home. I've found more inaccuracy in his forecasts than any other projections posted on here.

yeggous is another.

My projection is there will be lift serviced skiing at K tomorrow with free lunch for passholders.

Pretty bold projection🙃

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jimmywilson69

Cold enough to have the fan guns at the base of superstar on. Guns are also still on in North Ridge. My guess is they open at lunch. who knows...

Its 10/25, the only other place open in the country is A-Basin. Even opening tomorrow, they are still way ahead of the game.

Last edited:

slatham

The Mt Washington mesonet is an excellent resource. It has stations at the summits of Attitash, Bretton Woods, Cannon, and Cranmore. As a secret tip, Davis Instruments has a website and app that will get you observations from weather stations made by them. In the MWV that gets you Cranmore base, Cranmore mid-mountain, Cranmore summit, Bear Peak summit, Wildcat base, and Wildcat mid-mountain pumphouse. Elsewhere I know there are stations at the Mt Snow base and summit, Smugglers summit, Sugarbush base, and Crotched summit.

Thanks for the pointers, especially Davis with the Mt Snow base and summit.

Any caveats with using Weather Underground stations? To layman they seem solid, and there are a lot of them.

Jully

SR has northern lights lit up top to bottom as of this morning too. I wonder if they will be able to/want to rush to open before this weekend and warm up or wait until after it passes and miss the chance at October turns.

yeggous

Thanks for the pointers, especially Davis with the Mt Snow base and summit.

Any caveats with using Weather Underground stations? To layman they seem solid, and there are a lot of them.

Those Weather Underground stations are just backyard weather stations installed by enthusiasts. My main caveats with them is the same as the Davis stations. Their quality is strictly limited by their siting. Mass observations (temperature, humidity) should be 2 m above ground level and shielded from sunlight, and momentum observations (wind) should be 10 m above ground level with a clear exposure on all sides. Rarely are these stations setup this way, so they are almost always biased. This is especially true for wind observations which are practically useless outside of NWS stations.

bdfreetuna

hahaha... speaking of driving I was up in Lincoln NH over the weekend, it was nice to see some snow up in the mountains.. snapped this pic

10-23-16--Snow-Franconia-NH-Subaru.jpg

machski

SR has northern lights lit up top to bottom as of this morning too. I wonder if they will be able to/want to rush to open before this weekend and warm up or wait until after it passes and miss the chance at October turns.

Actually, Northern Lights is not currently top to bottom. The guns are only on until the pitch just before the Firestar trail.
Northern Lights 10-25.jpg

Smellytele

hahaha... speaking of driving I was up in Lincoln NH over the weekend, it was nice to see some snow up in the mountains.. snapped this pic

attachment.php

top of Kinsman Notch