• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that are never open

Jully

Assuming there's no lines at the North Peak Quad, I wonder if it is faster to lap that rather than the east basin double to get to those trails. Haven't ever tried it as I have not been at Loon on a weekend for awhile/seen the lift running.

chuckstah

It is most definitely quicker to lap the N. Peak quad than the E. Basin, assuming no lines. All you miss are the top sections of Angel St. and Dipper. Not having lines on a weekend, however sounds rare. I also haven't skied there on a weekend in a long time.

Rothski

I never rode the old gondola at Wildcat but did ride the old gondolas at both Sugarbush & Sugarloaf which appear to have been similar. I even forgot Wildcat had one.

The gondola's at both Wildcat and Sugarbush were made by Carlevaro-Savio. Sugarloaf was a different manufacturer. I rode the one at Sugarbush often before it was removed in 1983. The doors would vibrate open frequently and you had to hold them shut! It was long too, 9,300 feet. I remember that the operators would pull the cabin onto a launcher, rock the cabin back and push a button that would set it off and pull the cabin onto the moving line. You could always see them watching to make sure it grabbed the line properly.

Jully

I really love a good old school detachable lift. I've heard Sugarloafs gondola described as a self assembly kit. It was an old PHB gondola. Had a lot of problems towards the end. A few cabins detached if I remember correctly.

steamboat1

I really love a good old school detachable lift. I've heard Sugarloafs gondola described as a self assembly kit. It was an old PHB gondola. Had a lot of problems towards the end. A few cabins detached if I remember correctly.
It was the greatest lift in the northeast when it ran bottom to top. Especially in the spring when the snowfields were open.

doublediamond

The new Wildcat gondola cabins did not come with the purchase of the HSQ. They came a few years after used from somewhere in Canada (Lake Louise maybe?). That's why they are 4-person cabins despite that the line gauge could fit wider cabins. IIRC during that overlap era, the Gondola ran in the summer.

doublediamond

Thompson Double at Big Squaw never runs at all.

I've never been to Stowe when the Toll House Double has run.

I've never seen the Lookout Triple at Cranmore run.

Don't only one of the Snowshed Doubles run?

Black Triple at Magic <... Ducks and covers>

canobie#1

^ Snowshed Double 2 was removed this off season in the replacement for a zip line.

Look out triple runs on the weekends and other busy days.

As long as there is coverage on toll house road then the double is open.

Jully

It was the greatest lift in the northeast when it ran bottom to top. Especially in the spring when the snowfields were open.

It also let you lap the snowfields a heck of a lot easier than timberline.
The new Wildcat gondola cabins did not come with the purchase of the HSQ. They came a few years after used from somewhere in Canada (Lake Louise maybe?). That's why they are 4-person cabins despite that the line gauge could fit wider cabins. IIRC during that overlap era, the Gondola ran in the summer.

They did keep the gondola running for the late 90s during the first years of the quad. I remember being very confused by that.

Smellytele

Thompson Double at Big Squaw never runs at all.

I've never been to Stowe when the Toll House Double has run.

I've never seen the Lookout Triple at Cranmore run.

Don't only one of the Snowshed Doubles run?

Black Triple at Magic <... Ducks and covers>

I have ridden the Toll House double only because I was staying at a condo over there a few years back - no other reason to ski over there really

I have ridden the Lookout triple but haven't been there in 3 or 4 years

I have been to Magic when only the black was running

Skifastr:
Both times I have been to A-basin the Norway lift was running. Both times on a Sunday with no real crowd to speak of. (almost mis-typed it as Skifatr)

SkiingInABlueDream

I have ridden the Toll House double only because I was staying at a condo over there a few years back - no other reason to ski over there really

I have ridden the Lookout triple but haven't been there in 3 or 4 years

I have been to Magic when only the black was running

Skifastr:
Both times I have been to A-basin the Norway lift was running. Both times on a Sunday with no real crowd to speak of. (almost mis-typed it as Skifatr)

Was the other summit lift (leewanay or something like that?) turning at the time?

And I appreciate not misspelling my username!

jimmywilson69

I guess I've been unlucky to see it running. Its honestly almost as easy to take the shuttle or drive to between them.