• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

master plan thread

Jully

Same reason why Snow and Haystack couldn't be connected (as pictured earlier in the thread).

What is it with bears and interconnects? I'm surprised the anti-Killington interconnect people didn't move the Parker's Gore bears over to Pico to prevent that interconnect from happening! :lol:

They still might!

machski

If we are talking past plans, the plan for Sunday River in the LBO days was pretty impressive, as it would have made Jordan Bowl the new middle of the mountain when completed. I found a map of the planned new terrain at one point but could never seem to find it again. In hindsight I always wondered why the village wasn't planned for South Ridge or the base of the North Peak lift.

Yup, I can still remember when LBO revealed the plans for the Jordan Village. It was suppose to be huge. I know SR still has all the terrain expansion plans in the offices, though the Jordan Village is dead. Given how fast the single home lots sold off Ridge Run, i wouldn't be surprised to see some offered eventually off of Lolla above or below the Jordan Grand.

Supposedly a mini village was envisioned for South Ridge (in the lower lot and tied into what was the Phoenix I would imagine) but no idea if that is still under consideration. Heard a rumor of a new more luxurious condo development off Dreamaker where the current rail yard is. But only a rumor, no hard confirm.

Lastly, if I were to expand the ski terrain, I would attempt to secure the land off the back of Barker/Spruce/Aurora. If you hike onto the rock fields behind Barker Summit, that area would yield some long, sun drenched runs with interesting terrain on the far shoulder and obviously coming down the back of Barker and Locke. Not only that, back there would yield a new max elevation reached. But pretty sure they don't own or have use rights back there.

tumbler

I would love to see affordable options built at any resort and think it is a shame when they focus purely on the luxury ones. Hopefully K's plan includes at the very least a mixture. I think the cheapest unit at SB in the new development that I saw was over 700K for a 2 bedroom unit. And you have to factor in the condo association fees as well which are also astronomical in the new SB developments (the 2 BR unit at Gadd Brook is 1200/month in fees).

It costs a lot to permit and build in Vermont. You need nicer units to make any money back. A building is a building it will still cost the same to frame, wire, HVAC, etc. You can cheapen the finishes but then it wil hold no value. In looking at Gadd Brook those units are not finished very nicely, just the kitchen. You can see black covers where they cose not to install lights. Carept everywhere and no fireplace, even gas? I think they have actually been very smart in building small, managable buildings instead of monsters.

tumbler

I'd settle for some parts of the plan outlined in the 2008 Vegetation Management plan that I saw.

There is another plan that I saw only on paper that had 4 seperate lift pods in Slide Brook all going to the ridgeline and a connector trail from pod to pod. There was also no new road or lodges in Slide Brook. That would have been incredible, the terrain in there is sick!

I would like the pod above Inverness to go in though. I also like the lift from skiers right of Lower FIS down in the gully to the corner of Rim Run. is that one in the 2008 vegetation plan?

Jully

There is another plan that I saw only on paper that had 4 seperate lift pods in Slide Brook all going to the ridgeline and a connector trail from pod to pod. There was also no new road or lodges in Slide Brook. That would have been incredible, the terrain in there is sick!

I would like the pod above Inverness to go in though. I also like the lift from skiers right of Lower FIS down in the gully to the corner of Rim Run. is that one in the 2008 vegetation plan?

Wasn't there a Lynx expansion in a recent plan as well?

tumbler

Wasn't there a Lynx expansion in a recent plan as well?

I don't know but a Jester type trail and one more to skiers left of Sunrise would be nice. Could maybe do something skiers right of Birch but would need a lot of grading to get back the chair where the CR connection is. NL has way too much capacity for the amount of terrain.

benski

I don't know but a Jester type trail and one more to skiers left of Sunrise would be nice. Could maybe do something skiers right of Birch but would need a lot of grading to get back the chair where the CR connection is. NL has way too much capacity for the amount of terrain.

A blue to the left of sunrise is a good idea. Have it split somewhere and head back to north lynx chair or down to the village lift.

benski

That would be great! Hopefully it would end a bit lower than lower fis and have a bridge so one could easily ski trails on the other side of the stream.

benski

Screen shot 2016-10-18 at 4.45.50 PM.jpg Here is the Sugarbush 2008 vegetation plan you guys were referencing. I really would like to see more narrow natural snow trails to take pressure off Castlerock, but I don't many trails like that.

cdskier

View attachment 20869 Here is the Sugarbush 2008 vegetation plan you guys were referencing. I really would like to see more narrow natural snow trails to take pressure off Castlerock, but I don't many trails like that.

Thanks benski. I didn't have the file on my computer at work. That's exactly what I was talking about. I like the pod above Inverness. A couple of the other new trails could be interesting too...although some would interfere with areas that are now glades so I'm sure would no longer even be considered. The new trail from the summit of Mt Ellen skiers right of Black Diamond could be neat. I'm also pretty sure any development in Slide Brook is completely off limits now due to a bear habitat iirc (and I'm fine with that not being developed and being left as is).

In reality, I think the only realistic possible expansions would be more marked glades. I don't see them even thinking about cutting any real new trails or developing any new pods anytime in the foreseeable future.

benski

Thanks benski. I didn't have the file on my computer at work. That's exactly what I was talking about. I like the pod above Inverness. A couple of the other new trails could be interesting too...although some would interfere with areas that are now glades so I'm sure would no longer even be considered. The new trail from the summit of Mt Ellen skiers right of Black Diamond could be neat. I'm also pretty sure any development in Slide Brook is completely off limits now due to a bear habitat iirc (and I'm fine with that not being developed and being left as is).

In reality, I think the only realistic possible expansions would be more marked glades. I don't see them even thinking about cutting any real new trails or developing any new pods anytime in the foreseeable future.

I doubt there will be any new trail pods till after all the brooks are complete.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There's been a more recent Sugarbush plan that involves a lift heading up from Lower FIS that terminates by GMX and Slide Brook. It included a few trails as well. That would be a great improvement. Even better than the pod above Inverness. It would probably help out spreading the crowd distribution between the two areas. That is if you want to see that happen. I prefer skiing North to South due to lesser crowds and better sustained vertical.

cdskier

There's been a more recent Sugarbush plan that involves a lift heading up from Lower FIS that terminates by GMX and Slide Brook. It included a few trails as well. That would be a great improvement. Even better than the pod above Inverness. It would probably help out spreading the crowd distribution between the two areas. That is if you want to see that happen. I prefer skiing North to South due to lesser crowds and better sustained vertical.

I'm not too crazy about that idea actually. With that proposal, the Lower FIS area would see more traffic and with all natural snow at low elevations I think conditions would deteriorate too rapidly. At least with a pod above Inverness you have elevation helping out with better snow coverage. I heard that Mt Ellen can't expand snowmaking beyond the current footprint due to some kind of grandfathered permit. So any new trails would have to be reliant on natural snow as a result if that info is accurate.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If that's true on snowmaking, then I would agree the pod above Inverness would make more sense. My preference for the lower is under the assumption the new runs would have snowmaking and the lift would eliminate the need to slog back to the base from Lower FIS.

cdskier

If that's true on snowmaking, then I would agree the pod above Inverness would make more sense. My preference for the lower is under the assumption the new runs would have snowmaking and the lift would eliminate the need to slog back to the base from Lower FIS.

Found it! Win himself said it in a post on the MRV forum back in Jan 2015...here's what he said with regards to ME snowmaking expansion potential:
The issue at ME is that we have a grandfathered snowmaking permit and can do no expansion of snowmaking there. what we have is what we got!

steamboat1

"The issue at ME is that we have a grandfathered snowmaking permit and can do no expansion of snowmaking there. what we have is what we got!"

And they don't even use what they got. When was the last time they blew snow on Exterminator? Pipes are there.