• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scouting Ski Areas Never Skied with ChromeCast

dlague

My wife has been on travel for the week and when she is gone I pull a ski movie out a watch it at night to chill out. However, I watched a ski movie short film on YouTube and Chromecasted it which lead me to think that this might be a good way to check out different runs at ski areas I have not been to. I am bad about leading my wife down trails she does not like - you know the ole - its OK you can ski this! She can ski almost anything but .....

In any case, I started searching for videos for Vail, Beaver Creek, Crested Butte, Copper, Breckenridge, and so forth. It was cool to watch it on the big screen and Chromecasting from my phone. Don't like the video, click on the next one. In the end after an hour I found some really cool runs I would like to try or found advanced terrain that my wife would be OK with.

I also pulled up the trail maps while watching the videos to see where the runs were. As you all may know, while using Chromecast, you can do other things on your phone so that worked out well.

Have any of you tried that approach or do you just go and ski it no matter who you are with! Do not like going down Advanced+ terrain blind.

Jully

I've never done it for serious scouting, but just for some Stoke before going somewhere for the first time or even just when I'm bored.

Saddleback has some solid videos if I recall.

dlague

I've never done it for serious scouting, but just for some Stoke before going somewhere for the first time or even just when I'm bored.

Saddleback has some solid videos if I recall.

I found some cool runs! Some of it is hard to watch due to shaking of the camera so I move on to the next!

crank

We do that when going to a big area we are unfamiliar with. Usually to scout out hike to terrain. It can give you an idea of what you are getting into and if you can or can't handle it. I have also use the satellite view on google maps and google earth to scout off piste terrain. The first time I skied the Dip at Jay I checked it out on Google maps just to make sure we were on track before we headed too far out.