• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 2/15/07 Dawn POWDER Patrol

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Date Skied: February 15, 2007

Resort: Burke Mtn

Conditions: POWDER

Weather: Mostly cloudy, windy, cold

Trip Report: Well I just accidentally deleted my very long report by trying to go into the gallery to grab a picture :roll: I must be tired from getting up at 4:30 this morning. I'm now going for the short version...
Skin up = groomed terrain with 1-3 inches of windblown pow (Open Slope to Big Dipper to Deer Run to Carriage Rd)
The guys hiking up suffered when they tried to get into their frozen ski boots. The wind was pretty brutal on the open terrain. :smash:
I won't reveal the location of the decent other than that it was generally in the middle of the mtn (Thanks Riverc0il for the beta on primed terrain :beer: ) We skied mostly glades from top to bottom that had seen traffic yesterday but had completely filled back in with 2 feet of powder :-D . There was a lot of whooping it up all the way down.
I tried to digitally preserve as much as I could but it was damned cold. :???:
I actually mildly frost bit the tips of some of my fingers trying to run the camera. This is NOT making typing fun :roll:
Today should be AMAZING up there. With all the Jay Peak lifts on hold, hopefully all of the people who normally ski Jay don't come down and use the mid week ski free to eat up the pow :wink:
I'll let pictures do the remainder of the talking 8)

Taking a Break:
DSC04024.JPG

Me with some frosting:
DSC04026.JPG

ajl50

You know I hate you for being in those woods to get that picture.
No really- sweet.
This alone makes up for the most absurd and warm early season ever.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nice powder room action on that last shot. glad my recommendation worked out well for you! cheers on that one, mate! i would gladly have traded my four runs between 3p-4p this afternoon for that dawn patrol. i thought for sure i was going to be skiing again most of the day, but i got stuck at work with something i couldn't get out of.

for what it is worth, that tree shot you have those great pictures of? no untracked at all by 3p this afternoon. none. i have gotten to know burke well, especially from doing a lot of hiking during the off season, and i was having trouble finding any goods remaining at 3p for completely untracked. i did get about 400 vertical feet of straight line figure 11 untracked knee dump, but all the other off the radar type stuff were well played. hope folks coming up this weekend are not expecting to get in on that untracked action, it is long gone as of closing today. don't get me wrong, the packed and loose powder is still awesome and epic and cover is the best it has been in a long time. but the untracked is pretty well played except for occasional patches here and there.

way to get at it, T.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Great to hear that the "Slot" (this is the abrieviated "Clean" name) hasn't been hit yet! :daffy: Hopefully those who know about it let it sit tomorrow as well. I'm going to call the guy that knows about and promise him that I'll ski it with him on Saturday :) The steep upper section gets played after 4-5 passes so I don't need a herd of peeps going down it. At least I have the variation 1/2 down (Dirty Slot :) ) that is still unknown!