• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2016-2017 Resort Opening Dates

Newpylong

Looks like snowmaking temps won't return until next weekend... is that right?

Marginal to low nominal Snowmaking possible at K tonight, Sun night, Wed night, then again Fri, Sat, Sun nights. 8-12 hour shots

Last edited:

yeggous

If I was to put money on it, no. K might be the only player going for a few weeks. What is a killer is the cold is not prolonged, the couple of shots coming are 48-72 hour deals in the next few weeks. The sustained cold shot forecast on most models for mid month seems to be pushed back and confined to the mid-west states as of now.

Actually is shifted east offshore.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Los

Actually is shifted east offshore.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

So, just to be clear, does this mean we're now expecting average or above-average temps in NH/VT for the second half of November? :dunce:

Last edited:

SnowRider

Anyone else think K might be starting to sweat it with only a few weeks left until the World cup? I know there's time for patterns to change and definitely a few cool night scattered in-between, but from what I read on other threads they'll need a few days of 24 hour snowmaking to get it up to standards.

dlague

Anyone else think K might be starting to sweat it with only a few weeks left until the World cup? I know there's time for patterns to change and definitely a few cool night scattered in-between, but from what I read on other threads they'll need a few days of 24 hour snowmaking to get it up to standards.

There seems to be plenty if colder nights in the forecast while it may not provide 24 straight snow making, there are many nights combined that should work. Remember, this is for FIS so making a wetter snow is probably favorable so it refreezes. Try will want it firm.

slatham

The folks I follow (one being JB) are indicating a shift colder starting mid month Nov. One has been cautious to not interpret this as a significant negative deviation from normal, but in the elevated areas of New England a return to normal will do the job. Be interested to see whether yeggous agrees that the factors (MJO, strato warming/polar vortex, etc) are still looking good or whether he's sensing something is a foot. One thing I have noticed is the subtle shift from Nov 10th to the "middle" of the month. For most of us - and most areas - the relevant time frame is Thanksgiving, which means we need to get a pattern change by the weekend of 11/19 or we (and the world cup) may not have a happy thanksgiving. But my amateur call is that we get a coastal w/o 11/14 (though it might not be a big snow event) and then we get cold setting in on the back side with a new pattern set up as center US ridge moves to west coast and trough sets up Midwest to East.

SIKSKIER

Actually,K is making snow right now in North Ridge.I see the Superstar chair running again which leads me to believe they will start making snow there soon.They show snowmaking symbols on Superstar on the trali report also.

cdskier

Sugarbush blasting too. They and the K have a post on FB.

Yup, don't know how far Sugarbush is blasting down Jester though...could be only a few guns at the very top so far. Mid-mountain temps are still showing warm for snowmaking.

yeggous

The cold blast next week I see that moving off but the mid month one?

It's all relative. Mid month is trending warmer. The PV split is in the process of shifting the action towards Eurasia. I'm still on board for a cold blast in time for Thanksgiving, but it's unlikely to be persistent cold.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
This is the top of SS
e963120257e3bea9ec8760876ccf8731.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Killington was making on the Great Northern loop to right below the peak lodge and upper Supe during the day today. As of 1pm they had yet to fire up anything on the North Ridge terrain proper. I am sure that has since changed tonight.

Newpylong

Not concurrent. There will be hours to piece it together by race time.

slatham

Both Euro and GFS are starting to see a deeper and colder trough next weekend. Current forecasts indicate 60+ hours straight of snowmaking. There are also several nights between now and then as well. Hopefully the cold comes and locks in.

Oh, and that's ALOT of snow on upper SS - more than I would have thought. Can't wait until we get optimal temps and they really light it up.

4aprice

Both Euro and GFS are starting to see a deeper and colder trough next weekend. Current forecasts indicate 60+ hours straight of snowmaking. There are also several nights between now and then as well. Hopefully the cold comes and locks in.

Oh, and that's ALOT of snow on upper SS - more than I would have thought. Can't wait until we get optimal temps and they really light it up.

Prediction: There will be skiing by Thanksgiving, several places. Leaves are almost totally down here in NNJ and nature is getting ready. Throw in what they call an incredible "super moon" on the 14 th and the changes will take place :grin: (just made that up lol).

Do think many should start snowmaking operations soon.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ