• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2016-2017 Resort Opening Dates

yeggous

I am thinking I am in as well! Can sleep in a little later than skiing at K and no walking up the stairs (which isn't bad but it is still walking up the stairs. And Free is free. Did it last year but it was on a week day = no lines. Sunday maybe different.

I will see you gentlemen at the bar!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

I may be off on this, but it looks like there will be no snowmaking this entire week anywhere in the northeast. I would guess that is going to delay a lot of openings planned for next weekend.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I may be off on this, but it looks like there will be no snowmaking this entire week anywhere in the northeast. I would guess that is going to delay a lot of openings planned for next weekend.
I think some resurfacing can happen up high at night but that probably it. Things look to change soon.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I think some resurfacing can happen up high at night but that probably it. Things look to change soon.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app

Correct on both counts. Looks like we'll get some substantial cold starting next weekend. Resorts that shot for a Turkey Day opening might just make it, but anyone who was shooting for the 19th is screwed.

Meanwhile... Sunday River... who assured everyone they'd still be competitive in the early season game, probably won't open til next week, a full month later than Killington. Highway Star, we need one of your "Epic Fail" threads!

machski

Correct on both counts. Looks like we'll get some substantial cold starting next weekend. Resorts that shot for a Turkey Day opening might just make it, but anyone who was shooting for the 19th is screwed.

Meanwhile... Sunday River... who assured everyone they'd still be competitive in the early season game, probably won't open til next week, a full month later than Killington. Highway Star, we need one of your "Epic Fail" threads!
SR also lied about doubling the # of guns in Aurora. The only spot they added was the very bottom where they extended the line coming from Paradigm/Vortex to the QL triple. Otherwise, same gun placement as always. Just no where near close enough spacing to get open in very marginal weather. T2 and even Sunday Punch is equipped for that with guns no more than 15 feet apart or so, spacing much wider on all their Aurora terrain.

Smellytele

SR lost to BW also. Although BW might not be able to be open next week either.

slatham

Given current forecast if a particular area doesn't have enough to open today then they will not be able to open next weekend. There does look to be colder weather coming late next weekend/early next week, but the models are not in agreement and timing is critical. Recalling this weekends weather was not the cold shot we thought it would be, I cast a cautious eye on a 7+ day forecast.

Los

so how was Bretton today for those who made it?

yeggous

so how was Bretton today for those who made it?

Top 80% was great. The bottom was thin so rock skis were required. The snow was soft and no lift lines to speak of. Things got crowded on the narrow trail around 11:30 but emptied out mid afternoon.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1479089044.021575.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

chuckstah

Good day.
9326bc786fad772a90deaf9a13c4698b.jpg
be2ce760e60d16ca312c349c7bf33a58.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

I wouldn't goes as far to say rock skis were needed but grass and a little dirt was seen. I saw one rock poking out in the section shown in the above photo. Besides what was shown in that picture everything else had coverage. the trail got wider as the day went on as more people slowly adventured off of the groomed. Opening day there last year was on the 18th and it had better coverage then.

Los

We'll be there sunday if they can manage to stay open after this week's heat wave.

So far this season is teeing up just like last season. I hope that changes but I'm bracing myself for another warm and rainy winter.

SnowRock

Starting to get the itch despite getting a great mt bike ride in this past weekend. Stowe was projecting the 19th.. that still possible?

Was thinking I may try the leave super early from NJ and hit K on friday and then head north to pick up some beers and be at stowe on Saturday.

snoseek

Bike is back out from warranty fix. Im no longer worried about skiing wrod for now and ill enjoy these temps for a bit longer. I see no reason to sweat this winter yet.

The Sneak

Supposed to be 60 down here in RI this coming Sat. Hoping to get a nice 40 mi ride in. Still have yet to have skis tuned or buy the new ski pants / jacket I desperately need.

prsboogie

From Stowe today

Stowe’s planned opening day for the 2016-2017 winter season has been re-scheduled to Wednesday, November 23rd (weather permitting). Here at Stowe we began snowmaking operations during the final week of October and we have had the snow guns running at every available opportunity since that time. Unfortunately, periods of unseasonably mild temperatures over the past two weeks have made it difficult to achieve the snow depths we need on Lower North Slope and around the base of the FourRunner Quad. Like you, we are eagerly anticipating the opening of the ski and ride season.

We'll update our friends, fans and followers on our social media channels (links below) if there are any changes to this date, as well as the conditions page at stowe.com and the Snow Phone (802-253-3600).

Here's to a great season at Stowe!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

From Stowe today

Stowe’s planned opening day for the 2016-2017 winter season has been re-scheduled to Wednesday, November 23rd (weather permitting). Here at Stowe we began snowmaking operations during the final week of October and we have had the snow guns running at every available opportunity since that time. Unfortunately, periods of unseasonably mild temperatures over the past two weeks have made it difficult to achieve the snow depths we need on Lower North Slope and around the base of the FourRunner Quad. Like you, we are eagerly anticipating the opening of the ski and ride season.

We'll update our friends, fans and followers on our social media channels (links below) if there are any changes to this date, as well as the conditions page at stowe.com and the Snow Phone (802-253-3600).

Well I guess the good news is that the weather looks to turn colder next week. I doubt anyone will open this weekend unless they already have it on the ground and are just waiting.

Lets hope the forecasted cold hits and holds.

JimG.

Staff member
Bike is back out from warranty fix. Im no longer worried about skiing wrod for now and ill enjoy these temps for a bit longer. I see no reason to sweat this winter yet.

+1. Turns out the bass are still biting in the reservoirs too.

Most likely that winter will lock in for good on or around the 28th.

cdskier

From Stowe today

Can't say I'm surprised...I'm waiting for similar announcements from other resorts. Hard to tell from Sugarbush's Heaven's Gate camera angle whether they made enough. From the view on the camera I say no, but for all I know there are giant whales just out of view on Downspout that they can push out.