• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Being a skier and corporate life

raisingarizona

Do you have a family there?

If not I would get rid of that job and run like hell, that sounds like a bloody nightmare. My god is the civilian suburban life really like that? I mean you actually fight traffic and work a job like that and pay those taxes etc. to live for what?

Annual before Christmas layoffs? Jesus man, that's really like a thing?

I'd rather be poor. How the F do you folks live like that?

Puck it

One of the reasons I have not looked for a new job and I do con calls and fix problems from the slopes. Hell, I was in today for my fluoroscopic cortisone injection on my shoulder and was on a con call right up to when I went into the X-ray room. Too old to break a new company in.

abc

to live for what?
For the Broadway shows.

For the opera at Lincoln Center.

For the museums, not just the met but the little ones in Soho.

No, I don't want to move west. Been there, done that. Moved back east 10 years ago and am happier on the whole. I LIKE LIVING IN THE EAST! Unfortunately, skiing in the east left a lot to be desired.

Still, I want a better balance. My job in principle allows plenty of time off. But I'm finding the reality is a little different than the policy on paper.

Yes, I want my cake and eat it too. Doesn't everyone? ;-)

The question is HOW? It's not a black and white answer I'm looking for. It's how to finesse the most out of a corporate career while still feeding a skier's soul.

(BTW, I'm also a cyclist, or more aptly put, a cycling addict. Cycling is far more interesting here in the east coast. Another reason I dont' want to move west)

Last edited:

abc

I've always been impressed with your trip reports and the places you are intending to go with Mountain Collective. I think in one discussion you were talking 3 or 4 trips out there. 2 is all we can squeeze in but more power to you if you can do more. I can see how you would be really torn.

Alex
Thank you, Alex. I'm flattered that someone actually paid attention to my trip reports beyond the "usual", beyond the steepness of the terrain and the inches of fresh snow, that is! :)

Yes, I've been able to get 2 trips relatively easy: 1 around Christmas and another mid-season. Been doing that for quite many years. And by spacing out the 2nd trip and the 3rd trip (April), I've managed to do 3 trips without causing much disruption in my work schedule nor being noticed for being MIA from the office the last few years.

But now with my boss's boss sitting in the cube next to mine, it's getting a little uncomfortable. It doesn't help he's an old fashion kind of manager who wants to SEE his people when he's there!

Last edited:

4aprice

Thank you, Alex. I'm flattered that someone actually paid attention to my trip reports beyond the "usual", beyond the steepness of the terrain and the inches of fresh snow, that is! :)

Yes, I've been able to get 2 trips relatively easy: 1 around Christmas and another mid-season. Been doing that for quite many years. And by spacing out the 2nd trip and the 3rd trip (April), I've managed to do 3 trips without causing much disruption in my work schedule nor being noticed for being MIA from the office the last few years.

But now with my boss's boss sitting in the cube next to mine, it's getting a little uncomfortable. It doesn't help he's an old fashion kind of manager who wants to SEE his people when he's there!

1. Not only read your reports but IIRC your a pretty good photographer as well.

2. Love your thinking. 3 trips with a spread from Christmas to April, perfect. My current schedule wipes out Christmas but I have the back end of the season which I prefer.

3. I live that as well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

This all is a big reason I'm back in school to get my RN. 3 12's and you know
I'll be the first one to take those weekend/overnight differentials.

prsboogie

This all is a big reason I'm back in school to get my RN. 3 12's and you know
I'll be the first one to take those weekend/overnight differentials.

Just got back on three 12s and can't wait for mid week snow days. I have a set schedule as well with a Monday off every week. Took 11 years to get it but I love the long weekends every week.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SkiFanE

As a member of the working class, work always comes first. Since I have no skiing without work, kinda a no brainier.

In 25+ years in my field - my longest running boss is 2 years. Current job not quite 4 years - on 4th boss. Since I am the only constant - as long as I plan around projects - I take my vacation when I want. I do my job well and need my vacation for sanity and because it's a benefit due me. My job would love me to work 50 hr weeks year round - no way - if I wanted to work that hard I'd get a better job lol.

So if asking for vacation early is risky - don't do it. I ski 50+ days year with FT job and kids - so you can manage just fine if you need to. But for me - work also takes precedence since I haven't found that trust fund yet lol.

snoseek

Just got back on three 12s and can't wait for mid week snow days. I have a set schedule as well with a Monday off every week. Took 11 years to get it but I love the long weekends every week.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Congrats midweek is so freaking awesome. Many years ago I went to culinary school to line things up for midweek skiing. Its been an awesome ride. So many sleeper pow Tuesdays!

abc

1. Not only read your reports but IIRC your a pretty good photographer as well.
Thanks for the encouragement, Alex.

The Mountain Collective Pass provides uniquely opportunity for chancing upon good photos.

1) Many of the pass's destination have more dramatic scenery: Jackson Hole, Banff, Squaw, to name a few.

2) Having to move around to hit neighboring resort, while exhausting, also forces some "sightseeing" time. Especially when I start driving at the end of the day which is when the light is most interesting.

3) I used to be a lot more serious photographer. Nowadays, I often am forced to leave my photography gear home so my ski gears can fit into most airline's 1-piece luggage rule. Though in some trips, when I expect to drive through interesting scenery and have spare time, I cram my SLR+lens into my carry-on. That was the case when I went to Taos last year. It paid off when I went to hike the Great Sand Dune National Park on my way back to Denver.

in 2017, I'll be packing my camera to Taos/Telluride/Aspen(Feb). And I'm hoping to drive from Whislter to Revelstoke and Banff. That's some country I've never seen before. I'm hoping I'll see some decent scenery.

raisingarizona

For the Broadway shows.

For the opera at Lincoln Center.

For the museums, not just the met but the little ones in Soho.

No, I don't want to move west. Been there, done that. Moved back east 10 years ago and am happier on the whole. I LIKE LIVING IN THE EAST! Unfortunately, skiing in the east left a lot to be desired.

Still, I want a better balance. My job in principle allows plenty of time off. But I'm finding the reality is a little different than the policy on paper.

Yes, I want my cake and eat it too. Doesn't everyone? ;-)

The question is HOW? It's not a black and white answer I'm looking for. It's how to finesse the most out of a corporate career while still feeding a skier's soul.

(BTW, I'm also a cyclist, or more aptly put, a cycling addict. Cycling is far more interesting here in the east coast. Another reason I dont' want to move west)

Good answer. My bad. Carry on.

Start your own business, work really hard and develop a staff that can run things while you are out. But when skiing, the chairlift is perfect for email and Calls. In fact the most perfect lift in the world is the North Ridge Triple, slow and just long enough to get a few things done. I have spent the last 10 years getting everything running smooth. Cell phones and IPADs make it all easier. Might as well be skiing while solving problems or getting yelled at.

boston_e

Echoing essentially what most people said. Start doing ski weekends in the east and then supplement with a trip or two out west each winter.

Candidly, I don't know anyone that takes all 4 weeks of their vacation over a 3 or 4 month window (regardless if it is over the winter or summer) and then none the rest of the year.

cdskier

Echoing essentially what most people said. Start doing ski weekends in the east and then supplement with a trip or two out west each winter.

Candidly, I don't know anyone that takes all 4 weeks of their vacation over a 3 or 4 month window (regardless if it is over the winter or summer) and then none the rest of the year.

My last day in the office this year will be December 1st due to vacation days that I have to use up before the end of the year or else lose them. I've taken about 5 days off total so far this year. I wanted to use more mid-winter this year, but the weather was just not worth me wasting them.

I work for a global company and it seems a large number of my colleagues in France take off pretty much a month straight in the August time-frame.

4aprice

F

Just want to say you're probably like me in some ways. Last year was so difficult for the eastern skier. It left a very bitter taste in the mouth. But lets try (keep telling this to myself) to keep an open mind and think back to 2 seasons ago when things in the northeast were pretty good. As much as I was disappointed with last year and thankful for my time out west, a couple of good days here in the east will wipe those bad times away, change my attitude and get me pumped up for more. There are some good signs that this year will be different (Euro is very bullish on good eastern snow through New Years). Happy (and snowy) trails.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Vortex

We did the Boyne Gold Pass Covers us Any day at our Home MTN. Sunday River. Max Pass for a trip out West and a Canada trip.

I know many people who take little to no Summer Vacation. Construction Industry People, Landscaping, Season Beach Business. I take 4 weeks off over 3.5 Months and my company pushes for this. Nice for both of us. Many I know also take a 3 month layoff and ski the Winter. Its possible.

I agree with SkifanE. Its starts with Work then you can plan everything else. At least that Is how we do it.

abc

Back in the days when I only got 2 weeks annual leave, I didn't take any summer vacation.

(I'm not that big a fan of summer vacations. I REALLY like our region in the summer. So I stay put to enjoy it. Though because I couldn't figure out the logistic of having all 4 weeks of my vacation in the winter, I now take one of the week in the summer)

Savemeasammy

Can you use vacation time to take long-weekends out west? It certainly isn't the most efficient use of time or money, but if you can do direct flights to other airports that are close to quality skiing (SLC, Reno).

Reading this thread makes me glad I ditched the corporate thing a long time ago! I am free to take time off to ski when I'd like (one of the benefits of self-employment).

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Thanks for all who offer practical suggestions. It helped me to clear my mind a lot.

When I started out saying this isn't a rant, I now realize it was a sort after all. And I'm coming around to understand what's bugging me and what I need to do.

The underlying problem, now I realized it, was I'm spoiled by my good experience of last season! Now I need to come around to reality for this season.

Last year, I joined a team of very cool people. I had a very understanding and accommodating boss and his boss was very flexible also. So I got away with skiing a lot and also got a lot of interesting stuff done at work. All in all, a very happy year in the cubical. (is anyone allowed to say that?)

Based on that, I bought the Mountain Collective and started making plans for taking bigger chunk of vacation time off. Last season, I did TWO weekend fly away trip west, which was expensive and exhausting, albeit fun and exciting. I was hoping to have a more relaxed schedule this season by taking longer trips but skip the weekend mad dash.

But with the new boss and the overall uncertainty, I'll probably have to wait and see for a while till the dust settles. And I may just have to accept that I won't get to do all the big plans I initially had in mind and make the best of what I can.

Last edited: