• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loveland 11/13/16

dlague

Well it was another single trail kind of a day. The fact that Loveland tried to make snow in October reared it's ugly head on Catwalk. At the very end where the turn was kind of sharp there was a significant skating rink, albeit, easily avoided. Reminded me of the turns on upper ravine at Cannon. After that first turn it got much better. The run had good pitch variety and as the snow got pushed around nice soft bumps formed that were perfect for catching air too. My wife felt that the conditions were too New England like and too crowded. I have to say I did developed a beef about the out of control snowboarders and race teams. My son took to ripping the run with the idea that no one will burn us which worked out fine and we had a blast.

As far as the race teams - they were from everywhere, Steamboat, Aspen, Eldora, Winter Park and now the list is crazy, Waterville BBTS, Burke Mountain Academy, Lake Louise (they are not getting the snow that Whistler is). There were many more and they all congregated in groups close to the middle of the trail. For my wife, she had enough with 4 runs and my son and I ripped 5 more. It was fun but I am looking forward to some trail expansion. Loveland sutures down snowmaking for the season just before Thanksgiving and this year it looks like they will go into December for sure. Figures the year we move out here that have a shitty abnormal start to the season.

ec805d6f7289b01277c17d42714fa141.jpg

a91114add343919f3da70420e4d25cfe.jpg

fab9fb06d5536d4f7876fc33e511c6fc.jpg

ab53ec98f1870a4b0158f58929e53f76.jpg

Finish off this post with a Super Moon Set from this morning over the Pikes Peak Range

b9a728c59b2415617e5366daec115840.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Place is insufferable with the early season racers. Abasin is worse with the epic pass crowd. If I were you I would go do something else (you Are in Colorado!) and wait for snow. My first season at LL....07-08 started the same. Wrod till after Thanksgiving then December hit and it snowed non stop till May ending with one of the strongest seasons they've had. If they can get Richards and the valley open it will be worth a few runs...until then go hike or bike

dlague

Place is insufferable with the early season racers. Abasin is worse with the epic pass crowd. If I were you I would go do something else (you Are in Colorado!) and wait for snow. My first season at LL....07-08 started the same. Wrod till after Thanksgiving then December hit and it snowed non stop till May ending with one of the strongest seasons they've had. If they can get Richards and the valley open it will be worth a few runs...until then go hike or bike
They had Valley open exclusively for racers. One run as well. Spoke to a ski patrol answer starting next weekend they will encourage beginners to ski LL Valley. Heck I might even try it if there fewer people. Funny thing about early season skiing - beginners come out even when the sign at the lift says intermediate to advanced terrain. Does not matter where you ski.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

In the weeks coming up it will come and mambo will be a memory. Man I have a love affair with that place, its such a great way to get away from the tourist and actually hunt untracked. I'll be lurking your LL tr's and feeling jealous as hell!!!!

Also here's to hoping they still run stupid cheap beer specials in the bar and sarah is still pouring!

4aprice

In the weeks coming up it will come and mambo will be a memory. Man I have a love affair with that place, its such a great way to get away from the tourist and actually hunt untracked. I'll be lurking your LL tr's and feeling jealous as hell!!!!

Also here's to hoping they still run stupid cheap beer specials in the bar and sarah is still pouring!

Yea, that's a place I've always dreamed about spending a season at. The whole pass thing with LL AB or just skiing off the top of the pass is cool. The boy and his ski club are going to do the full moon run this year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ