• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill 2/15/07

goldsbar

Epic (for the Catskills). I'm guessing there was two feet of fresh, more in some spots. Is this the Winter that didn't start until mid-January? You wouldn't know it by today.

The "powder" was somewhat consolidated and windblown so it wasn't like those light powder days out West but still pretty damn good. Actually, it probably helped because I imagine many of those trails were fairly bare underneath before today. No problems with rocks on the trails. Hit a bunch of stuff - at least it sounded that way - in the woods but no real damage other than one minor gouge and a few scratches. The depth of the snow allowed for some extremely tight lines. Powder changed from cut-up to soft cement fairly quickly. Still very fun - sort of like bumps skiing. Still plenty untracked in the woods. Legs were shot by 2:45. I give Blockbuster the best trail of the day award. The powder was lighter on that trail for whatever reason.

Best part - the car thermometer registered 3* at 9:00am but there was pretty much zero wind except for the very top. Was pretty warm all day. I take my comment back in the Catskills thread about the wind protection at Pkill during a Nor'easter- it's pretty good!

selski

I was there also. Plattekill is tough to beat on a powder day. They always get the most snow in the Catskills. Blockbuster was a blast.

Tin Woodsman

I was there too. Trails were fun. Woods were great, but with lots of obstacles lurking. It was 30" of dust on dirt.

I'm pretty sure Platekill is old Iroquois for "lots of rocks". At least tht's wht my bases tell me.

MarkC

I have thrashed through 2 boards this year. There is more repair ptex than base material on my rock board.