• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak Opening Day 2016-2017

IamBlackDiamond

Best memory of the place for me was this random spring day skiing years ago and Olympian had perfect seeded bumps, sooo siiick! Ahh, those were the days! :beer:

Olympian has NEVER had seeded bumps. The bumps on Olympian are skied in.

doublediamond

Yeah they couldn't even get a groomer up/down it until their 2013 purchase of a winch cat.

Cornhead

Speaking of seeded bumps, did anyone ski, or see, the bumps on the skier's left top of Illiad? They weren't formed by skiers. Do they have an attachment for the groomer? A couple years ago there were bumps that looked like they were made with garbage cans in the same spot.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

kbird

Completely false. Ronnies Run has never "permanently closed"
That's what the patroller said to me, seriously.
Olympian has NEVER had seeded bumps. The bumps on Olympian are skied in.
Not machine made, no. There used to be quite a few hardcore bump guys around in the 90's and they manually made bump lines marked by sticks! Sometimes it was on other trails like Odyssey or Illiad. A few of us helped out on occasion, it was a lot of fun.

kbird

Speaking of seeded bumps, did anyone ski, or see, the bumps on the skier's left top of Illiad? They weren't formed by skiers. Do they have an attachment for the groomer? A couple years ago there were bumps that looked like they were made with garbage cans in the same spot.
Yes quite a few times, not recently though. They must've been made manually, I don't believe they have a machine for that.

IamBlackDiamond

Those bumps were made by the freestyle coach

At one time he was on the Bud Light Pro Mogul tour and ranked 16th in the world for extreme skiing. The guy knows bumps.

dlague

Bumps can be seeded by raising and lowering the blade on a snow cat.

kbird

not a specialized machine but snowcats can seed them!
I stand corrected, thank you Sir! Not sure why I thought it was a special machine, maybe because there's a tow behind attachment to groom bumps?

I find it quite interesting how comp courses are made. If it takes 30 hours minimum just for a course, I can understand why the typical resort does not seed bumps especially around here.

dlague

I stand corrected, thank you Sir! Not sure why I thought it was a special machine, maybe because there's a tow behind attachment to groom bumps?

I find it quite interesting how comp courses are made. If it takes 30 hours minimum just for a course, I can understand why the typical resort does not seed bumps especially around here.

With groomers they use the front blade.

Cornhead

Here's the funky "garbage can" bumps on top of Illiad. It was more of an obstacle course than a bump run.
1a6ad4ec74453ea597c5fd21abdcb045.jpg

February, 2015

kbird

LOL looks like a bunch of ski club kids were bored :dontknow: their heart is in the right place though :thumbup:

kbird

The sets I was talking about were always measured(?) and marked off with gate poles until the line formed, those lines were soo cherry! A lot less snowboarders trying to run lines back then, they stayed pretty tight much longer.

Last edited:

Kleetus

Couple of Pics of a guy making some bumps on Illiad trail at Greek Peak on Sat. 1/21/17

View attachment 21595

View attachment 21596

I rode up the lift with one of the freestyle coaches at Bristol last year and he was talking about being contacted by Greek to help them set a course up consistently.

I watched him build a great course with a shovel last year at Bristol. He used the length of the shovel for measurement and ended up with great spaced bumps. This doesn't look anything like that though...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skibum636

Almost fell for their midweek promotion, but Friday isn't midweek at Greek. Would have cost 165 for me and the wife. Went to song. It was awesome, great snow, no ice, no nasty parking people, no resort fee, no lines, chair didn't stop, no rocks, no dirt, no no picnic lunches singes, tons of snow making better grooming... Took three long time pass holders from Greek who aren't buying passes next year.

skibum636

Can you add a picture to the petition? Sounds like they are loosing pass holders left and right after last weekends event...
InbredIdiotThief.jpg