• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mtn. 2016-17

deadheadskier

Staff member
Um, beer selection? Guys, include important details please.
Onset pub didn't open until 11. I banged out 11 runs, popped in at 10:15 and was told to come back at 11. Ended skiing 4 more then splitting to meet my wife and some friends in Manchester at noon. I was eager to see this season's offering, but apparently they're not as serious about mid morning beers while skiing as I am.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

As the proud purchaser of this season's first draft I can report: switchback, shed brown, Sam winter, working man's porter and some rocket ipa

Mug club is $50, they partnered with henniker, mugs will be ceramic and include the first beer and a t shirt

Last edited:

thebigo

Few pictures from today, spectacular day.

Shared the chair with a guy from patrol last ride, was interrupted while talking up Solstice. Informed about a guy named Joshua that spent his summer clearing rocks and stumps to make it skiable with minimal cover. Patrol suggested that we express our gratitude.

Thanks Joshua.

Attachments

• 20161217_122944.jpg
    20161217_122944.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20161217_122951.jpg
    20161217_122951.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20161217_124819.jpg
    20161217_124819.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20161217_124833.jpg
    20161217_124833.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 87

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Few pictures from today, spectacular day.

Shared the chair with a guy from patrol last ride, was interrupted while talking up Solstice. Informed about a guy named Joshua that spent his summer clearing rocks and stumps to make it skiable with minimal cover. Patrol suggested that we express our gratitude.

Thanks Joshua.
It was great fun (and a lot cheaper exercise than joining a health club). It was all done with a bow saw, loppers, spade, rake, a bucket (to move dirt to refill holes that once held rocks) and an 8' pry bar. (Don't do stuff like this without checking with mountain management.) My intent was to make it skiable with 4" of snow. Where there were rocks too big to move, I built cairns.

When we got 2.5" on Dec. 5, I hiked up to take a run on it. After all that work, I wanted first tracks. While I bottomed on most turns, I hit no rocks or stumps. A few friends who accompanied me down it with minimal snow were uniformly amazed at how well it skied. There is one "bad spot" that I found which I'll try to fix next summer.

It's gratifying to see people enjoying it and thanks for letting me know that you did.

prsboogie

Went today for a couple hours with the wife. Meteor was ROTD and UFO was the worse. The lower third was completely bulletproof, not even a scratch to the cord as I attempted to edge it. Luckily there was some blow over from the nights snow making on skiers right that I was able to jump on to gain a glimmer of hope to hold on to. The place was empty, maybe 100 total and it was great to get my first day at the home bump. I just wish I could have gotten there Saturday. 10 off the top and 4-5 off west with the wife and we headed in to grab a beer (2 for me) and headed home. Didn't really take pics except this one ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1482377487.451815.jpg always a better day than working!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Went today for a couple hours with the wife. Meteor was ROTD and UFO was the worse. The lower third was completely bulletproof, not even a scratch to the cord as I attempted to edge it. Luckily there was some blow over from the nights snow making on skiers right that I was able to jump on to gain a glimmer of hope to hold on to. The place was empty, maybe 100 total and it was great to get my first day at the home bump. I just wish I could have gotten there Saturday. 10 off the top and 4-5 off west with the wife and we headed in to grab a beer (2 for me) and headed home. ... always a better day than working!!
Interesting. I was there too (as I am pretty much every day).

I thought UFO/Equinox was rather good, but the bottom section (aka: Shooting Star) was just opened yesterday - and it was bullet proof. I usually run the "Snow Tracks" app while I ski and in going over that stretch, it recorded my fastest speed of the season (and not because I wanted to).

Meteor is our racing trail and is intentionally kept "fast". That being said, it was all well groomed in the AM, but without new snow (natural or machine made), Satellite Summit and Moonwalk both get a bit fast.

Often, the snowmakers will put a skim coating of "Styrofoam snow" on Satellite Summit/Meteor and it holds up pretty well. But if you looked at the snowmaking pond, it is precipitously low and what little snowmaking they did yesterday was focused on opening Jupiter Storm.

The glades really were unskiable following Sunday's meltdown, but 2" of snow (1" down already), should at least make Solstice Glade skiable (and pleasant) again. The other glades will need at least 6" to 12" before they are fun again.

prsboogie

The shooting star section is the part I was talking about. The upper parts were very good which made it even more unnerving when I hit the glacier 😅

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
The shooting star section is the part I was talking about. The upper parts were very good which made it even more unnerving when I hit the glacier ��

FWIW, by today, that "glacier" will just be a bad memory, but you can also go left at the bottom of Equinox and take Lower Velocity which was just fine!

prsboogie

I did that on another run down, actually my last yesterday.

xwhaler

Was at CM last night as well...skied from 4-7 before grabbing a burger/Rocket Fuel in the Onset.
UFO was nice but the glacier at the bottom was a mess as you guys have said. Jupiter's Storm was a mess as well even though we did find some decent snow far skiers right.
A good groom should hopefully improve that trail but it was clear they dropped the rope just to get it open yesterday.

Meteor was the best.
When do they start blowing on Pluto's?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Was at CM last night as well...skied from 4-7 before grabbing a burger/Rocket Fuel in the Onset.
UFO was nice but the glacier at the bottom was a mess as you guys have said. Jupiter's Storm was a mess as well even though we did find some decent snow far skiers right.
A good groom should hopefully improve that trail but it was clear they dropped the rope just to get it open yesterday.

Meteor was the best.

This is what peak does, get the trails open! They need to let the snow dry out before grooming it.

yeggous

Meteor was the best.

Maybe after the next rain storm. By this time of year water levels in the pond are a problem. By this point they are usually blowing yellow snow due to all the sediment in the bottom of the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Jeeze, I was there yesterday too. Looks like we missed an AZ mini-summit. I wear an orange jacket and brown pants with a dumb looking bushy beard.

Last edited:

prsboogie

Jerez, I was there yesterday too. Looks like we missed an AZ mini-summit. I wear an orange jacket and brown pants with a dumb looking bushy beard.

I'm sure I saw you! There was like ten people there 😎.

yeggous

Who is going this weekend? I may go tomorrow. And am considering Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

Currently enjoying a switchback in the onset, will be back tomorrow. Storm overpreformed, several inches down. Jupiter's needs a few days to set up, ufo much better then monday, sat summit to magnitude is run of the day.