• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mtn. 2016-17

Quietman

Hopefully CM refreshes as much as they can. Next week looks quite warm again. Next Wed night looks like a repeat of the previous two ARL nights. Sharpen those edges boys!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Got my new race skis today, now I just have to remount the bindings as they are too long and not easily adjustable. Hoping that these will put me ahead of my 25 yr old son next week. :thumbup:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Crotched was fairly decent considering the meltdown this week. They were blowing a bunch of snow on Meteor and UFO along with a few spot guns elsewhere. Pluto's, Moonwalk, Milky Way and Magnitude all need some serious help. Hopefully they switch over the guns to those trails tonight.

Jupiter's is a lost cause. The wet gun they had on it a couple of weeks back killed it as I feared would happen.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

They really blew a lot on Meteor and it now has some very large whales. Satelite Summit and Pluto's also skied really nice with new man made. UFO has new snow but also a couple of icy streaches. The glacier at the bottom of Jupiter is pretty bad. Other trails were firm but edgeable. Joshua says that they will blow more tonight, and the pond has enough left to support it. Overall, I enjoyed this afternoon, and singles line was just about ski on, and there was never more than a 2-3 minute wait for non singles.

Savemeasammy

With the new snow and most/all of the trails open, will Crotched let something bump up....?

Please...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SnoDevil97

With the new snow and most/all of the trails open, will Crotched let something bump up....?

Please...

From their Twitter feed this am, you may get your wish:

"7" of heavy snow in the base, with reports of 8"-9" on the summit. Limited groom."

I don't blame them at all for grooming everything often to conserve trails during low natural snow periods.

yeggous

From their Twitter feed this am, you may get your wish:

"7" of heavy snow in the base, with reports of 8"-9" on the summit. Limited groom."

I don't blame them at all for grooming everything often to conserve trails during low natural snow periods.

What they mean is they groom one side of each trail and leave the other. Typical for them.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member

Please...

Good luck. I have noticed since Peaks took over Hunter that bumps are not allowed. Everything groomed flat always.

And the trails that used to be allowed to bump up and stay bumped have been cut off from snowmaking. Nothing has been done about snowmaking on Lower K27 and upper Crossover got snowmaking once and not since. Everything on the west side is flat.

I guess the plan is to make Hunter like Jack Frost and Big Boulder. Pocono north.

Something I do not like at all about the new owners. Thank God I can ski at Belleayre on my NYS 3 in 1. I never thought I would say this but Belle is the place to ski in the Cats if you like bumps.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Good luck. I have noticed since Peaks took over Hunter that bumps are not allowed. Everything groomed flat always.

And the trails that used to be allowed to bump up and stay bumped have been cut off from snowmaking. Nothing has been done about snowmaking on Lower K27 and upper Crossover got snowmaking once and not since. Everything on the west side is flat.

I guess the plan is to make Hunter like Jack Frost and Big Boulder. Pocono north.

Something I do not like at all about the new owners. ...

It is not likely to be a Peak Resort policy since Wildcat, Attitash and Mt. Snow all have mogul runs.

Quietman

Snow report from yesterday said that everything was groomed, and today's report says the same. I'm not sure if they left some bumps under the rocket or anywhere else. I may be up there on Sunday afternoon.

SnoDevil97

Hit Crotched for a bunch of runs early today. Conditions were decent, more coverage on the edges than my last visit a few weeks ago. Trees still looked a bit thin, which was fine because my goal was just to cruise lots of laps. Hard pack turned soft with warm-ish temps , not too much ice around.

Didn't hit Jupiters, it may have had bumps but still had bad memories from when it was an ice sheet last time.

Ended earlier than I expected due to fatigue, had a few Henniker Rocket IPA's in the pub (very tasty) & still got home to suburban Boston in time for kickoff of Packers/Falcons. Full day indeed.

elks

Didn't hit Jupiters, it may have had bumps but still had bad memories from when it was an ice sheet last time.

Jupiters was the best it's been all season if you like messy/mixed conditions. Seems like they fixed the ice problem at the bottom caused by the leaking snow gun.

Savemeasammy

Credit to Crotched for starting to ski-in some moguls.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1485431406.009800.jpg

You can see by the amount of space in between (side to side) that these won't be zipper-liners. If they get bigger they will be good for people who are aspiring bumpers who want to work on rhythm and take it slow. Hopefully people will take an interest and put these to use (and hopefully they get some help from the fan guns).

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I was worried when I saw the snow report today (1/26/17) which indicated that 100% of the mountain had been groomed. I'm happy to tell you, that the mogul field shown above is still there and is improving with traffic.

BTW: Absolute hero-snow here today!

Jully

I was worried when I saw the snow report today (1/26/17) which indicated that 100% of the mountain had been groomed. I'm happy to tell you, that the mogul field shown above is still there and is improving with traffic.

That is exciting! Is there only 1 mogul field right now? Or are they on multiple trails?

Savemeasammy

I'd love to see a pic at the end of the day for comparison

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
That is exciting! Is there only 1 mogul field right now? Or are they on multiple trails?
For now, the only moguls are on UFO and while yesterdays photo shows two rows of moguls, today, there are three. I prefer the irregular natural ones, but I'm told these are being set up for an upcoming competition.

Aside to savemesammy: Sorry. I don't do photos.