• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mtn. 2016-17

SnoDevil97

Kids pay their age day Sunday 3/26 - perfect day to use the last of my Cyber Monday 3-pack. Looking forward to lots o' laps.

xwhaler

At CM now. Excellent spring hero snow on the groomers. Should have no issue getting to next weekend​. Coverage is quite good.
Snowed all AM. We left at 1:15 and it was still coming down pretty hard. Nice smooth surfaces today.

2dbbf419c06c477decf74b1f2c2f5349.jpg
0679be8a1b3e9baa83fceeed48899c35.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Quietman

I arrived at 2:30, very happy to see the rocket loading after delaying my arrival after seeing ski_it's 1st post of the day.

The glades were much better than expected, as the sleet from the 1st part of the storm provided some base, as there wasn't much before. I bypassed uranus and Kyber belt, as everything else was so nice. Up top was deep with drifts, down lower it was still nice. Tried to stay fairly light on my edges due to the lack of base, and was pleasantly surprised that I have only a few new light scratches from the rocks that I did hit. Here are some pics from my crappy cell camera.

Jupiter
0401171527a.jpg

Solstice
0401171529a.jpg

Upper Enchanted
0401171620b.jpg

Lower Enchanted
0401171603a.jpg

Darkstar
0401171633.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
I typically don't like to complain on a powder day, but it was pretty lame Crotched didn't have the Rocket ready to go for opening today. I only was able to ski until about noon today and it never ran. I'm not sure when it finally got going.

I was told the derailer at the top station was iced up. I rode the chair with a local retiree who skis there about 70 days a year and is friends with the former GM who said they should have left the lift running overnight given the forecast. If not that then have someone there at 6AM to make sure the main lift is good to go. He also mentioned that the icing issue on the Rocket isn't that uncommon.

Additionally the West lift wasn't ready until 9:15 and even then they were many chairs they wouldn't let people on due to having a bunch of snow on them. Lifties were just watching those chairs go by while waiting for a cleared chair to load people. They did open the Valley lift at about 9:30 to make up for no Rocket.

Skiing was great, but it was definitely amateur hour operationally today at Crotched. No bueno on a big powder day. Thankfully for them there wasn't too many people there to piss off.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

The rumor was that they we about to open it around 12 or so when they had a chair slide back and had to do more work, could also be fake news.

yeggous

The rumor was that they we about to open it around 12 or so when they had a chair slide back and had to do more work, could also be fake news.

Wow, glad I didn't go. I thought about it but called an audible and went to Wildcat.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

Incredible day at CM today. Busy by CM standards as Race Team was holding their end of yr BBQ as well as lots of day tickets for the afternoon deal.

The morning was better as it was perfect corn. The afternoon got quite warm and turned to sticky mashed potatoes.

They seemingly aren't giving up on possibly re opening next wknd.

892028a304d1c2009bdacf9a4304ce2c.jpg

d5d306b97f40ddd701c621ceb434695b.jpg

82c5b89ef53717e135920e4633a89212.jpg
38597040a0b0266bcd635360e1ff5a80.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

SnoDevil97

Also hit CM today - beautiful corn in the am but too sticky post lunch. Longest wait @ the Rocket was 5 chairs at a few points - which I know is crowded for them. Bar was understaffed - which I guess was fine but they were down to 2 draft beers also. Watched the end of the B's game then split.

Good day to possibly end my season on.

IMG_0438.jpgIMG_0439.jpgIMG_0443.jpg

Brad J

I was there 3 weeks ago at the finial night at the adult race league and the place looked grim, mother nature turned it around for a much longer season than expected after the February melt down

Quietman

I was there 3 weeks ago at the finial night at the adult race league and the place looked grim, mother nature turned it around for a much longer season than expected after the February melt down

I completely agree. I got there at 2:45 today, what was cream cheese yesterday was mashed potatoes today. The woods were still great, maybe even better as the sun was shining and I could see the hazards. And the soft bumps on the groomers were really nice. Got one of the last chairs up, and took jupiters to solitude glades and for 4/2, it was great!. They are saying that they haven't closed the book yet, but next weeks weather aint too promising. Considering what conditions were like the weekend of 3/11, with only 1/2 coverage on Pluto's and bare spots everywhere, the conditions today were amazing!!

thebigo

Bar was understaffed

Been a problem all year. Sat there for 15 minutes waiting for a drink today, not an isolated event. As a whole the service in the bar is lousy, they are typically understaffed but I have also been one of a handful and still waited.

In all I am a huge crotched fan but they need to fix the bar service, it is well below industry standard.

Last edited:

thebigo

Not to be negative, we had a great weekend at crotched, 10 - 7 on Saturday and 9 - 3 today, hope they open next weekend but if they don't it will be remembered as the year my daughter learned to ski, looking forward to tigers next year.20170401_141159.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
In general it's just very difficult to staff F&B at ski areas. The hours and money is so inconsistent that it's hard to attract good help. That's why so many places import foreign help. Even a big resort like Sugarloaf is usually pretty understaffed on the weekends. Places that have a college nearby usually have a bit of an advantage. Crotched is just far enough from local schools and lacks a very compelling ski product to attract such staff. I always find it best to break early and beat the lunch rush.

Jully

In general it's just very difficult to staff F&B at ski areas. The hours and money is so inconsistent that it's hard to attract good help. That's why so many places import foreign help. Even a big resort like Sugarloaf is usually pretty understaffed on the weekends. Places that have a college nearby usually have a bit of an advantage. Crotched is just far enough from local schools and lacks a very compelling ski product to attract such staff. I always find it best to break early and beat the lunch rush.

Lot of high schoolers seem to work there which is cool (though not necessarily the best help). Guy who did my season pass when I picked it up at CM early last month couldn't have been older than 18.

SnoDevil97

CM just announced on Twitter they'll be open 4/8 & 4/9. A bit surprised given the rain & warmth this week, but the mountain was pretty buried last weekend. I overheard a Manager telling someone the mountain had its most profitable season in a very long time, so perhaps they are in a charitable mood.

mriceyman

CM just announced on Twitter they'll be open 4/8 & 4/9. A bit surprised given the rain & warmth this week, but the mountain was pretty buried last weekend. I overheard a Manager telling someone the mountain had its most profitable season in a very long time, so perhaps they are in a charitable mood.

Profitable season is a good thing to hear

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone