• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2016-2017 Season Thread

snoseek

Are you speaking of Wildcat? Do they have any less-tight trees/glades when the cover is good? Some of the ones at Jay are nice and wide and Killington has some wider glades also, but most other resorts the trees are super tight and I'm not a huge fan of that on my board.

It was my probably my weakest point at the beginning of the year but not as much now. Overall the trees are tight at the cat

Jcb890

Not at Wildcat, but at Attitash the woods off Wandering Skis (on your right about 1/3 of the way down) are open too. Quite short though.

It was my probably my weakest point at the beginning of the year but not as much now. Overall the trees are tight at the cat
Thanks for the info everyone! Never tried Attitash but probably will next year since we have the Peak Pass. I'm working on my tighter turns and overall carving technique... still a work in progress.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Generally speaking, most of the marked trees at Wildcat can have tighter entrances / trees near the tops of them. If something looks tight, head further down trail and look for additional entrances and you will usually find some more forgiving trees.

snoseek

Looks like ill get one more day next Monday assuming somewhere is open.

Jully

Sunday River is free. Should be open.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Barker had fine coverage on a number of trails. White Cap should have plenty of coverage if you want to skin it. Only the top top part was in rough shape of WH. I'm not sure if SR is anti skinning terrain that has technically closed though.

Los

Looks similar to a typical year for me when I was back east. We liked to hit up many resorts but had a pass for a base resort, did ride and ski tour and chased some deals. Now much harder to do in Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Dlague - why do you find it's harder to do in Colorado? Just curious...

We hopped around quite a bit this year, which was alot of fun. But I need to reign it in for a number of reasons... For next season, we'll probably only ski Sugarbush from mid-December to mid-March...

4aprice

Looks like ill get one more day next Monday assuming somewhere is open.

Where you headed Snoseek? I can tell you the skiing in Colorado was still deep (at least at Jane and LL, so I assume Abay too) and Snowbird says they are about to get walloped. Do keep us up on the western side of things next season where ever it be.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

Where you headed Snoseek? I can tell you the skiing in Colorado was still deep (at least at Jane and LL, so I assume Abay too) and Snowbird says they are about to get walloped. Do keep us up on the western side of things next season where ever it be.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Straight back to Tahoe actually once my semester is over. At this point my schooling is gonna be a slow one class at a time sorta thing. Good year round opportunity with plenty of time in the shoulders to travel. I think My ski touring game is going to be upped this summer.

Come to find out I do really like spending a season every half decade or so back east. I cant really describe it but it just works on so many levels. I suspect I'll do another winter here in about 4-6 years but who knows.

For now I'm really itching to get driving.

WJenness

Hit 20 days today day tripping up to the 'Loaf.

Everytime I do that I say to myself "don't do all this driving in one day again".

It kicked my ass.

But the skiing was good, real good today.

My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to stop at The Bag to have a burger before heading out.

So I managed to bag all 9 'daytrip-able' (YMMV) mountains on the Max Pass this year. Happy with that. Got lots of variety in, and 18 days out of the purchase.

Hopefully I can beat it next year.

-w

WJenness

So my wonderful wife got me a Garmin smartwatch for Christmas that I use to track all my skiing.

Some interesting stats from the first year of using it:

Distance skied: 395.98 miles
Calories burned: 20,945
Vertical Feet decended: Over 381,358 (I had some weirdness with the altimeter so the first two days are messed up. I will have to do some manual math when I have some time).

Jully

So my wonderful wife got me a Garmin smartwatch for Christmas that I use to track all my skiing.

Some interesting stats from the first year of using it:

Distance skied: 395.98 miles
Calories burned: 20,945
Vertical Feet decended: Over 381,358 (I had some weirdness with the altimeter so the first two days are messed up. I will have to do some manual math when I have some time).

I've been comparing different ski apps all season for kicks. I wonder how the smartwatch compares?

Jcb890

I've been comparing different ski apps all season for kicks. I wonder how the smartwatch compares?
I use Trace Snow which tracks these stats also.

As of today my totals for the season:

Distance Ridden: 396 miles
Vertical Ft Descended: 383,700 (383.7k)
Calories: 38,200 (38.2k)

Definitely my most active season yet!

cdskier

I'd be curious to know how many calories I burned. I use a GPS app to track miles and vertical, but it doesn't do calories. Still hoping for 3 more days of skiing this weekend at Sugarbush, but so far I'm just over 550K of vertical descended and about 850 miles (the miles includes lift rides up though and not just actual skiing).

This is also my most active season, although I've had higher "vertical per day" totals in other years.

Domeskier

I use Trace Snow which tracks these stats also.

As of today my totals for the season:

Distance Ridden: 396 miles
Vertical Ft Descended: 383,700 (383.7k)
Calories: 38,200 (38.2k)

Definitely my most active season yet!

You and WJenness skied nearly identical amounts (which is kind of interesting in itself), but you burned nearly twice as many calories. I wonder how the two programs calculate that. Maybe speed is a factor? Number of turns?

Jcb890

You and WJenness skied nearly identical amounts (which is kind of interesting in itself), but you burned nearly twice as many calories. I wonder how the two programs calculate that. Maybe speed is a factor? Number of turns?
Pretty interesting huh?

All of that matters and I'm also just going to go out on a limb and guess I'm on the heavier end compared to WJenness, so me doing the exact same thing as someone else who's let's say ~30-40 lbs less, I'll burn more calories.

WJenness

Pretty interesting huh?

All of that matters and I'm also just going to go out on a limb and guess I'm on the heavier end compared to WJenness, so me doing the exact same thing as someone else who's let's say ~30-40 lbs less, I'll burn more calories.

I'm a pretty big guy - 6'4", 227lbs, though I started this season a lot heavier (was 284lbs on 11/1/2016)...

One thing is I believe the garmin only measures the calories above standard basal rates (active), whereas I think trace gives you the total basal+active... This season I have had some days where I have used both Trace and the garmin, and the trace is always higher, usually by a lot.

-w

Jully

I'm a pretty big guy - 6'4", 227lbs, though I started this season a lot heavier (was 284lbs on 11/1/2016)...

One thing is I believe the garmin only measures the calories above standard basal rates (active), whereas I think trace gives you the total basal+active... This season I have had some days where I have used both Trace and the garmin, and the trace is always higher, usually by a lot.

-w

Does your Garmin have a heart rate sensor? Trace I am pretty sure applies a generic ski calorie burning formula. I don't remember putting any demographic info into Trace. If Trace reports basal + active, that is kind of annoying... It might make sense though. Otherwise it would read something like 1 hour of skiing, 13 minutes of on snow time, 35 calories burned hahaha.

I found a lot of variability (> 10-15%) between ski app vertical reported. I run Trace on my phone and AllSnow at the same time and at the end of a 30k vertical day will have a 5k difference between the app. Testing at places with a single lift, like Wildcat or Crotched, I find that Trace actually under reports vertical by that same 10-15% margin, unless the lift vertical reported by Wildcat and Crotched (and on newenglandskihistory.com) are wrong.

cdskier

I found a lot of variability (> 10-15%) between ski app vertical reported. I run Trace on my phone and AllSnow at the same time and at the end of a 30k vertical day will have a 5k difference between the app. Testing at places with a single lift, like Wildcat or Crotched, I find that Trace actually under reports vertical by that same 10-15% margin, unless the lift vertical reported by Wildcat and Crotched (and on newenglandskihistory.com) are wrong.

My app tends to under-report as well (usually by about 1000K per day). My app allows me to export the "tracks" to a kmz file which I can then import into Google Earth. In Google Earth if I let it calculate the vertical for a particular track, it usually comes out to right what I would expect it to be based on the stated vertical of the lifts I skied.

Jcb890

-w
Nice, another big guy! I'm 6'1" and 240 ish. I'll also leave Trace on while I'm walking to/from lodge during lunch time too, so I'm sure that adds some calories too.