• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2016-2017 Season Thread

WJenness

Does your Garmin have a heart rate sensor? Trace I am pretty sure applies a generic ski calorie burning formula. I don't remember putting any demographic info into Trace. If Trace reports basal + active, that is kind of annoying... It might make sense though. Otherwise it would read something like 1 hour of skiing, 13 minutes of on snow time, 35 calories burned hahaha.

I found a lot of variability (> 10-15%) between ski app vertical reported. I run Trace on my phone and AllSnow at the same time and at the end of a 30k vertical day will have a 5k difference between the app. Testing at places with a single lift, like Wildcat or Crotched, I find that Trace actually under reports vertical by that same 10-15% margin, unless the lift vertical reported by Wildcat and Crotched (and on newenglandskihistory.com) are wrong.

Yes, the watch has an optical wrist HR sensor (It is the Garmin Fenix 3 HR)... Also, there is an available chest strap you can buy that is more accurate than the wrist based one, but I have just been using the wrist one.

Another neat data trend is seeing my heart rate while skiing (both average and peak) decrease over the season, thanks to dropping a bunch of weight and being in better ski shape as the season has progressed.

My first day skiing this year (Dec. 9 @ Loon) I had an Avg. Heart Rate of 163bpm and a Max of 191bpm.
On Tuesday, the average was 122bpm and the max was 156bpm.

I used the data to graph my heart rate over the season, and there is a very clear trend line connecting the first data point and the last.

-w

Hawk

With any of these electronic gadgets, it is really hard for them to get a real good fix on calorie burn. The algorithms are based on an average and takes into account, height, weight, age and the activity that you are doing in conjunction with the heart rates you are achieving. What it does not take into account is the actual amount of energy you exert. Unlike a bike which can have a power tap built in which measures watts, your body does not have that. Also Skiing is much more dynamic. Just skiing a bump run vs a groomer can have a huge range in energy used. Also your ability has a big impact. If you are an experienced skier and can smooth out everything so you burn less calories. An intermediate that has to bull their turns uses more.

Jully

Yes, the watch has an optical wrist HR sensor (It is the Garmin Fenix 3 HR)... Also, there is an available chest strap you can buy that is more accurate than the wrist based one, but I have just been using the wrist one.

Another neat data trend is seeing my heart rate while skiing (both average and peak) decrease over the season, thanks to dropping a bunch of weight and being in better ski shape as the season has progressed.

My first day skiing this year (Dec. 9 @ Loon) I had an Avg. Heart Rate of 163bpm and a Max of 191bpm.
On Tuesday, the average was 122bpm and the max was 156bpm.

I used the data to graph my heart rate over the season, and there is a very clear trend line connecting the first data point and the last.

-w

That is quite exciting.191 must have had you really feeling it on that first day!

Jully

With any of these electronic gadgets, it is really hard for them to get a real good fix on calorie burn. The algorithms are based on an average and takes into account, height, weight, age and the activity that you are doing in conjunction with the heart rates you are achieving. What it does not take into account is the actual amount of energy you exert. Unlike a bike which can have a power tap built in which measures watts, your body does not have that. Also Skiing is much more dynamic. Just skiing a bump run vs a groomer can have a huge range in energy used. Also your ability has a big impact. If you are an experienced skier and can smooth out everything so you burn less calories. An intermediate that has to bull their turns uses more.

Absolutely. Experienced v. non experienced is seen somewhat in HR, but not enough.

WJenness

Not sure how it is doing it, probably heart rate related... But I've noticed the garmin will read a much higher calorie burn on days where I am skiing more difficult terrain (bumps, trees, etc.) vs. just doing groomer runs, which is something that Trace did not do at all.

Jcb890

Day 31 today at Killington and 32 tomorrow!

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app
How is the cover and trail width looking on Skyelark? Debating going Saturday, but heard the coverage on Skyelark is getting thin and my wife would have to be dodging rocks and dirt going down. We're debating Sunday River for Saturday instead due to this so there's more blue terrain for her.

Jully

Sugarloaf still rockin 128 trails and woods! Too damn far!

I emailed asking if there was any chance they would reopen for some kind of bonus weekend next weekend. It is a long shot, but if they did I would book a room right away. Can't go that far this weekend, but next weekend I'd love to ski more than 1-2 trails at K.

Jcb890

I emailed asking if there was any chance they would reopen for some kind of bonus weekend next weekend. It is a long shot, but if they did I would book a room right away. Can't go that far this weekend, but next weekend I'd love to ski more than 1-2 trails at K.
We're thinking about Sunday River on Saturday. Right now they're saying 23 trails... of course its not really 23, but more than the 1-2 Killington has.

dlague

We're thinking about Sunday River on Saturday. Right now they're saying 23 trails... of course its not really 23, but more than the 1-2 Killington has.

Based in the trending weather, Killington probably will not make June 1st. Seems like there is still a lot of snow but there are no freezing nights ahead.

Jcb890

Based in the trending weather, Killington probably will not make June 1st. Seems like there is still a lot of snow but there are no freezing nights ahead.
It doesn't even seem like they're going to be able to groom much. I asked their FB Messenger peeps and they said they may only be able to groom a cat-track wide path on everything due to the warmth. For skiers that's nice, but for myself and my wife, that's not exactly easy riding. I'll definitely go at some point for some Superstar mogul laps, but I was hoping for an easier route for the wife this weekend, so that's why we're leaning towards Sunday River... but I wonder if their grooming will be similar? Maybe they figure with it being their last weekend they won't care if the grooming causes snow loss and groom anyways. I'm not sure.

chuckstah

It doesn't even seem like they're going to be able to groom much. I asked their FB Messenger peeps and they said they may only be able to groom a cat-track wide path on everything due to the warmth. For skiers that's nice, but for myself and my wife, that's not exactly easy riding. I'll definitely go at some point for some Superstar mogul laps, but I was hoping for an easier route for the wife this weekend, so that's why we're leaning towards Sunday River... but I wonder if their grooming will be similar? Maybe they figure with it being their last weekend they won't care if the grooming causes snow loss and groom anyways. I'm not sure.
Most everything at SR will have to be groomed for Saturday to spread out the snow and make a few trails ski-able. The grooming certainly won't last long though.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

ALLSKIING

Staff member
How is the cover and trail width looking on Skyelark? Debating going Saturday, but heard the coverage on Skyelark is getting thin and my wife would have to be dodging rocks and dirt going down. We're debating Sunday River for Saturday instead due to this so there's more blue terrain for her.
Trail width is side to side and cover is pretty good just a few small areas to keep an eye out for.

Last edited:

Jully

SR mentions a lot of trails groomed in their report. I'm suspicious of this though, I think they may be referring to grooming as snow farming. I'd be shocked if they made corduroy on trails like Right Stuff and Southpaw. Those were thin this past weekend. The blues like Sunday Punch, et al., should be groomed and should be nice for the first 3 hours or so of each day. It will bump up quick!

If you're looking for bumps, Top Gun this past weekend was the best I've ever seen it sans powder day. Made Barker ski a whole lot nicer IMO.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
e8eae14a4142b51d0a6eb16619449a1d.jpg
db9f2c93e751b1d034996e24b73ea63f.jpg
f84c07c8bb60afe9998f0a0b5602ff8f.jpg
6ebaf927fad68fc459b1c1dade8c92e7.jpg
3a842e8e53089480355908ceb3ae96cc.jpg

Jully

The S is already creeping in on that first picture and it isn't even May 1. Tower 2 was fully surrounded by snow the last time I saw a picture of Superstar.

Domeskier

Here's what SS looked like on April 28, 2016, courtesy of Kzone's Southside Bobby.

Superstar 5 PM 4-28-16.jpg

A lot more snow on skier's right toward the bottom this year. Hopefully that will help stave off that portion of the "S".