• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Cup

Ski shops reported slow business. It was a great weekend. Cant say enough. Was on first chair both days, skied a lot and partied a lot and watched great racing

Breakout12

Anybody watching it? NBC is has been streaming it too, insane crowd.....16000+ at k1! Does HS still think its FAIL?

Yep, I turned it on. I don't usually watch skiing, but I did because of the location. I thought it was cool, and good for the east.

Jully

If there isn't a race on the east coast next year after 16,000 people went and hopefully substantially more watched on TV, I'm going to have a conniption.

jaybird

What I think would be great to see is a return to Whiteface with Downhill and Super G. Obviously unlikely for November though

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
Yeah .. Whiteface as a venue in this day and age is a non starter.
Just keep thinkin' there braindeadhead .. that's what you're good at. :dunce:

As to Killington shops being slow last weekend, few people on the access rd were there to visit ski shops.
The major shops rented out bench space for racer chasers. That limited capacity for the general public.
Bootfitting .. footbeds and heaters were going gangbusters.

Both days at this competition were truly sensational.
Bodes well for more active consideration of NE sites.
Too bad Balsams has no pitch. Les is bummed.

Vermont was the Winner last weekend. :daffy:

doublediamond

Next year's calendar is set so no repeat Superstar WC in 2017. I'd bet it'll be back for 2018 though.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I was at Killington today and spoke to a number of locals: The hotels and the restaurants had record weeks. The consensus was that there were two minor glitches: On Saturday, there were not enough shuttle buses to handle the crowd - and both days: The Killington base area didn't have adequate rest room facilities and they didn't order enough porta-potties. But all-in-all, a total success.

Jully

Next year's calendar is set so no repeat Superstar WC in 2017. I'd bet it'll be back for 2018 though.

That's wicked annoying. Hopeful for 2018! Is it too much to ask for a second venue already too? Whiteface, while super super cool would definitely be a stretch the near term. I think we're stuck with GS and SL for the being. I'm fine with that though!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah .. Whiteface as a venue in this day and age is a non starter.
Just keep thinkin' there braindeadhead .. that's what you're good at. :dunce:

:

Well, FIS made an exception to have races on shortened courses at Killington, so I doubt it's a stretch to consider what a former Olympic venue could provide.

Killington did a fantastic job and I'd be happy to see them rewarded with a repeat. It would be even better if FIS selected somewhere like Stowe that can host a proper GS course. And better than that would be to bring back the speed events to the East. Whiteface is the only option for that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe, but I thought I've read they fall a little short on the vertical requirements for a modern downhill course. I believe Le Massif has the facilities to host one, but it's so far away it wouldn't bring the crowds

boston_e

Maybe, but I thought I've read they fall a little short on the vertical requirements for a modern downhill course. I believe Le Massif has the facilities to host one, but it's so far away it wouldn't bring the crowds

I was trying to edit my post when you quoted it! Oops! For those who didn't see, I had asked if Sugarloaf could host a downhill event.

As far as the G.S… I have not been to Stowe in quite a few years, but I'm trying to picture what trail they would have the GS on that would offer something that Superstar did not offer?

Edit: Sugarloaf too, might struggle with the crowds in comparison. From a lodging capacity alone, they might have a tough time as compared to something in Vermont like Killingotn.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hayride is Stowe's GS trail and it is a vastly better trail than SS for racing. 15-1600 of consistent vertical. Superstar is a fantastic venue for an event due to the room at the base for spectators, but the trail itself leaves a lot to be desired for racing due to how flat it is in the middle section.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd also suggest that High line would be a better venue for SL, but I understand that having two different trail venues wouldn't be as efficient and cost effective for setting up spectator viewing.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Hayride is Stowe's GS trail and it is a vastly better trail than SS for racing. 15-1600 of consistent vertical. Superstar is a fantastic venue for an event due to the room at the base for spectators, but the trail itself leaves a lot to be desired for racing due to how flat it is in the middle section.

If this event must be in November, you've got to start with an area committed to the early season. For that, Stowe ain't the place. The old timers remember that ski areas in a pre-snowmaking world opened Christmas week with very marginal conditions and closed by mid-March. Killington (IMO) single-handedly pushed the start of the high-season to Thanksgiving and in a world of snowmaking (unless you have a horrendous year like last season) everyone has great snow at Christmas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If this event must be in November, you've got to start with an area committed to the early season. For that, Stowe ain't the place. The old timers remember that ski areas in a pre-snowmaking world opened Christmas week with very marginal conditions and closed by mid-March. Killington (IMO) single-handedly pushed the start of the high-season to Thanksgiving and in a world of snowmaking (unless you have a horrendous year like last season) everyone has great snow at Christmas.
Joshua,

My initial "wish" for future ski racing in the East was speed events at WF. So, that implies I'm not really thinking about November. Likewise, my thoughts on Stowe would be for a later in the season race. Yes, if the option for hosting a race is only early season, given current infrastructure and business models, Killington makes the most (only really) sense.

slatham

Not sure I agree. Stowe has made significant investments in snowmaking over the years. Today they report 18 trails and 5.5 miles with multiple TBT 2,000 vertical runs. I think with the added firepower that was provided to K that Stowe could pull it off.

Separately, as someone mentioned Sugarloaf, I just read that Narrow Guage is the only Eastern trail that is FIS certified for all 4 events. Go figure.....