• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Jury Awards Hiker $750k for 5 Hours Trapped on Gondola

thetrailboss

Staff member

Puck it

People need to suck it up and deal. Shit happens. $750K is stupid for something she was in no danger.

crank

IMO they deserve to pay for such a stupid and easily avoidable mistake.

Jully

Yeah, worth $750K? Not at all, but I don't view it as an award for the individual, I view it as a penalty for the mountain being inane.

SkiFanE

Agreed. And I think I'd have had major issues being stuck that long in a gondola in the dark in freezing winter weather alone. I'm afraid of heights and after a few hours I would have figured I'd be stuck for night and possibly dead in AM. So I'd be scared, pissed, crying about leaving kids motherless and maybe even have done something stupid to "save" myself but have could have killed myself. So yeah - not worth $750k for that, sorry (lawyers get 40% anyway).

thetrailboss

Staff member

So in thinking about this it appears that she got ON at the bottom and did not get OFF. So someone should have noticed that. I assumed she got on at the top to ride down and got stuck without being noticed. But that does not appear to be the case. Yes, someone needed to make sure she got off. Was it worth $750,000? I doubt it. What damages did she suffer really? Does she have preexisting issues?

Tin

On the bright side they only need to sell a couple baskets of chicken tenders at the Peak View Lodge and maybe a Bloody Mary or two to pay her.

As a psych person I would love to know what quack diagnosed her with PTSD unless that gondi was seriously swinging in the wind.

TheArchitect

Didn't she have a cell phone? Could have called the local police or the resort itself, right?

cdskier

Didn't she have a cell phone? Could have called the local police or the resort itself, right?

I was just wondering the same thing...

I think the amount is excessive, but I do think K should have been liable for some penalty as that is definitely their fault and responsibility for not ensuring the cars were all clear.

BenedictGomez

People need to suck it up and deal. Shit happens. $750K is stupid for something she was in no danger.

When is the appeal?

Because there's no way Killington is going to shell out $750,000 simply because an attorney got lucky and found 12 of the dumbest Vermonters in existence.

SkiingInABlueDream

I think there's too much information missing in that story to be able to draw any conclusion. enough to get ppl talking and/or pissed off, not enough to base a sound conclusion.

This exemplifies why I generally hate the news.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think there's too much information missing in that story to be able to draw any conclusion. enough to get ppl talking and/or pissed off, not enough to base a sound conclusion.

This exemplifies why I generally hate the news.

I wonder if the Rutland Herald covered this trial....and they did but the article is behind a paywall.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Quietman

This reminds me of debates that I had when I worked lift ops. I always prefered to be able to download the top attendant at the end of the night, because if no one was riding my lift, I would tell them to hop on the lift as soon right at closing time and in 10 minutes he/she would be down and I could leave. But one of the managers insisted that the top attendants be snowmobiled down as he didn't want a lift running without someone up top in case some idiot decided to hop on the lift at the top. As my lift was always the last to be dealt with, this took 30-40 minutes. Now I can understand his point somewhat. I would agree that leaving a running gondola station unattended is not the best choice.

zoomzoom

lift closing procedures are precisely written to prevent these situations. a typical policy would be that a "last cabin" marker is placed upon a cabin at both the lower and upper terminals. the operators would monitor their stations to ensure that no-one boards the lift while the "last cabin" markers are in transit. once these markers are received, dispatch is notified that the "line is clear" and the ops are free to depart their station.

they are not to have their heads down while writing daily reports, go up into the terminal to adjust the heaters/install the grounding rods or otherwise prep the lift for downtime.

these events are not unheard of, and customers who "hop on" an up-going chair for the last ride up will get stranded. they're usually found by a night groomer during his shift. gotta call in a couple of ops from home to re-start the lift or maybe an evac crew, whatever is faster/safer. have heard of a situation where the stranded passenger was freezing and elected to jump. not good.

these events will happen annually somewhere in vt but never make the paper, though. usually a lifetime pass will suffice, but not this time.