• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Hotel proposed on Mount Washington

doublediamond

Maybe they should concern themselves with properly running their trains first.

Zermatt

Remember when the Cog tried running a ski operation a few years ago? Whatever happened to that?

Mountainside / mountaintop hotels are very common in Switzerland. Many with train only or cable car only access (And hiking).

I don't see it getting approved here. Not sure who could stop it though being on private land and there is a long history of hotels on the summit of Mount Washington.

doublediamond

It only lasted 2 or 3 seasons. They still have the snowmaking pipe installed along the tracks and the bridge across the river at the bottom.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Two words: good luck.

As to the ski operation, I think that ended when the Cog Railway Ownership sold Bretton Woods ski area to Omni a few years back.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The new facility, according to Wayne Presby, the Cog’s president, and Joel Bedor, one of the owners, would be built in an area known as Skyline, a former rail siding.

If that is where I think it is, that location is right near the Great Gulf headwall. Just above where the Westside trail crosses the tracks.
That would be quite a dramatic spot to have a hotel.

wtcobb

Coos County Planning Board meeting in Lancaster on Thursday at 8PM to discuss the permitting, open to the public:
http://www.cooscountynh.us/sites/coosconh/files/agenda/agenda-file/dec_8_agenda.pdf

The impacts of this will go far beyond a new building. They'll need to cut a new access road from the summit down to the hotel (or from the Cog station up). New hiking trails will be blazed. The construction equipment necessary to build the hotel will decimate the fragile alpine flora - the same happened when the second track was added.

The Presby's also tried to build an asphalt plant on 302 in Lisbon abutting the Ammonoosuc. Thanks to public opposition and a lot of legal work on behalf of the residents of the immediate area, that project was killed (for now).

Zermatt

Coos County Planning Board meeting in Lancaster on Thursday at 8PM to discuss the permitting, open to the public:
http://www.cooscountynh.us/sites/coosconh/files/agenda/agenda-file/dec_8_agenda.pdf

The impacts of this will go far beyond a new building. They'll need to cut a new access road from the summit down to the hotel (or from the Cog station up). New hiking trails will be blazed. The construction equipment necessary to build the hotel will decimate the fragile alpine flora - the same happened when the second track was added.

The Presby's also tried to build an asphalt plant on 302 in Lisbon abutting the Ammonoosuc. Thanks to public opposition and a lot of legal work on behalf of the residents of the immediate area, that project was killed (for now).

Don't forget, the Cog owns this land, they don't lease it from the US Forest Service. There may not be as many restrictions as you think. On top of that, they've owned it for 150 years (+?). About 10 years ago they ran a power line to the summit and dug a nasty looking trench parallel to the cog. Has anyone seen how that has recovered recently? In doing so they have eliminated the need for large generators at the summit fueled by multiple tanker trucks traversing the auto road.

Would they have to build a road? Couldn't the train haul everything needed to the hotel site?

There are currently three large hotels in the alpine zone. Greenleaf, Lakes of the Clouds and Madison huts that together house well over 100 people a night in the summer.

I think aside from the visual aspect the environmental impacts would be very small. The impact of the cog changing from coal to diesel has probably had a much larger positive impact.

wtcobb

Don't forget, the Cog owns this land, they don't lease it from the US Forest Service. There may not be as many restrictions as you think. On top of that, they've owned it for 150 years (+?).

Coos County Planning Board has restrictions for building on steep land and land at high elevations (above 2,700 ft.). Further there are setbacks (25 ft) and height restrictions (35 ft) that limit any construction to a 49 foot wide strip spanning the tracks. The Cog will need to apply for special permits to circumvent these restrictions.

The current owners have owned the Cog & property since 1983.

One of the studies I linked references how the terrain above treeline has recovered more slowly than that below treeline.

wtcobb

Thursday's meeting is open to public but will not include a public comments period. There will be in the future, however.

Edd

Signed. I enjoy the idea in theory, but it doesn't sit right with me in reality, I guess.

I was considering the logistics of building a hotel in a location like that. It would be interesting to see.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know it's a big economic driver for the region, but it's kind of a shame that our highest peak has been turned into basically Disneyland (hyperbole) really since the mid 1800s. It's nice that Katahdin didn't suffer the same fate.

The hotel just seems like additional unneeded economic exploitation.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

I know it's a big economic driver for the region, but it's kind of a shame that our highest peak has been turned into basically Disneyland (hyperbole) really since the mid 1800s. It's nice that Katahdin didn't suffer the same fate.

The hotel just seems like additional unneeded economic exploitation.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Man I would be thrilled if that cog and auto road didn't exist....but like you said, economics