• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 12/4/16

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied:
12/4/16

Resort or Ski Area:
Hunter

Conditions:
Packed man-made

Trip Report:
I'd planned on taking the weekend off from skiing as my local hill, Greek Peak, was closed. The weather for Hunter was calling for temps in the 20's Saturday night, sunny mid 30's Sunday. I knew Scotty would be there after he got done working, so Hunter it was.

I could've got a ticket online Friday for $43, $47 Saturday, but I decided to burn one of my 3X days as I bought the Bohemia pass that comes with 3 Plattekill tickets. I day trip the Cats, so only one hill per weekend, figured might as well burn one now.

I pulled in right at opening and loaded the six-pack about 8:45. The conditions were good early. There were a few uneven spots, but overall pretty good. Same 3 trails as last week, Hellgate, Cliff, and Jimmy Huega. The improvement was F lift was spinning, so no need to go to the bottom. Skied off the F most of the day, ski on.

Hooked up with Jim G and his friend Carl about 9:30. Took an early lunch and met Scotty in the lodge. Back on the hill at noon. Things got scrapped off up top, but below were nice soft sugar snow bumps. We decided to call it quits at 3. I started off down the hill. I made it about halfway to where Jimmy splits off, suddenly, BAM, knocked off my skis by a young boarder. Double eject, one ski stuck shovel first in the snow. I asked if he was alright, followed by "Why did you run into me". He claimed I cut Infront of him, BS, I said, I was making predictable short turns when he slammed me. Luckily I landed on my good shoulder, or I'dve been pissed. Ironically the crowd had thinned considerably at the time of the collision. I made one run looking for Scotty, and decided I'd had enough.

Other than getting slammed, fun day on the hill. About 13 runs, legs felt good. I kept my eyes peeled for blue boy, and my ears strained for vuvuzelas, but no sightings.
8828e2a2be3d4328945f1999b83250fd.jpg

499710b1e8d7c8b9dda1b393ddbd217e.jpg

Snowbow
cada584e0668a7fef3d79c201a1964d0.jpg

7a6e5481fc4de013ed4c241841159709.jpg

Getting more trails ready
3b190a72afde569933525aaf685c0450.jpg

Jim G Infront of a man-made plastered tree up top.

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

Cudos to the mountain for making snow and expanding. Great improvement over Saturday. Should have Minya and Ike soon, as well as terrain off of B lift.

IMG_20161204_132112.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161203_092701.jpg
    IMG_20161203_092701.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20161204_095158.jpg
    IMG_20161204_095158.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

ScottySkis

Glad Cornhead was able to make it down. Fun times as always with him and Jim and his friends. Snowmaking was going on on a lot if trails can be open ed in a few days this week. So happy I have a season pass. Snowing today Monday in the Catskills I sure someone from here is enjoying the powder day looking for trip report!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

catskillman

Cudos to the mountain for making snow and expanding. Great improvement over Saturday. Should have Minya and Ike soon, as well as terrain off of B lift.

View attachment 21142

Thank you. you have proved these crazy doubters wrong that he does not exist. I have heard that the mountain has spoken to him, but he obviously does not care, he continues, .... this will be interesting how this plays out.

IF he buys a new outfit it will not matter, as we all know his style - if that is what you want to call it.

he
does always walk off into the liftside side parkway.

He does exist, just have not seen the hit and run yet.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

kingslug

Jim
when my wife came down...she wanted to go in.....was hoping to blast around with you guys..but she was having..a little bit of a tough day with all the out of control traffic...left at 2 which was good enough...will be back next Sunday for more of the wild west show ...that is Hunter...

dlague

Jim
when my wife came down...she wanted to go in.....was hoping to blast around with you guys..but she was having..a little bit of a tough day with all the out of control traffic...left at 2 which was good enough...will be back next Sunday for more of the wild west show ...that is Hunter...
Out of control troll traffic seems common around this time of year - better as more terrain opens up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Jim

Good to see you Ira, will send you my cell via PM...call me when you want to hook up on Sunday.

Yeah things were pretty crazy this past Sunday; we stayed on F lift and avoided a lot of the fun...Kennedy was a true shit show what with irregular sugar bumps scattered in a sea of hard icy snow. Not bad on the edges, there was much flailing going on in the heart of that trail. Cornhead got wiped out and I had someone rocket right over the tails of my skis into a fence at midstation.

There were a lot of race teams from other mountains out and about as well. And people all worry about Blue Boy.

Sy655

I could've got a ticket online Friday for $43, $47 Saturday, but I decided to burn one of my 3X days as I bought the Bohemia pass that comes with 3 Plattekill tickets. I day trip the Cats, so only one hill per weekend, figured might as well burn one now.

Are you saying you can use a Plattekill lift ticket at Hunter?

Cornhead

Are you saying you can use a Plattekill lift ticket at Hunter?
No, just that I'll only be skiing one day per weekend in the Cats since I day trip. I won't stay overnight, and I won't make the drive twice in a weekend, 100 miles one way. That means if I don't take off work to ski the Cats, I now have 6 weekend days, hence 6 separate weekends, tied up there. That's why I decided to burn a 3X day I paid $50 for when I could've bought a ticket online for $43. I hadn't planned buying the Bohemia pass when I bought the 3X card.

The main reason I bought the card is to ski with friends, I'd rather ski Platty, but variety is the spice of life! And Hunter has kinda grown on me, when I'm not getting slammed by boarders. Their snowmaking prowess is undeniable, a good thing early season, and in lean snow years. Their clientele can be questionable, see Blue Boy thread.

JimG.

Staff member
No more discounts on food for pass holders either.

Hard to complain going from a $749 season pass for Hunter to $599 a pass for Hunter and 6 other hills.

Shredder of Gnar

No, just that I'll only be skiing one day per weekend in the Cats since I day trip. I won't stay overnight, and I won't make the drive twice in a weekend, 100 miles one way. That means if I don't take off work to ski the Cats, I now have 6 weekend days, hence 6 separate weekends, tied up there. That's why I decided to burn a 3X day I paid $50 for when I could've bought a ticket online for $43. I hadn't planned buying the Bohemia pass when I bought the 3X card.

The main reason I bought the card is to ski with friends, I'd rather ski Platty, but variety is the spice of life! And Hunter has kinda grown on me, when I'm not getting slammed by boarders. Their snowmaking prowess is undeniable, a good thing early season, and in lean snow years. Their clientele can be questionable, see Blue Boy thread.

Corn! How ya been?! Awesome midweek days this MWF -- off the charts! (for this time of year anyway, especially today) I'll pass on mingling with the weekend posers, thank you, but do you ever get to Cats midweek in mid-season?

Cornhead

Corn! How ya been?! Awesome midweek days this MWF -- off the charts! (for this time of year anyway, especially today) I'll pass on mingling with the weekend posers, thank you, but do you ever get to Cats midweek in mid-season?

Hey Shredder, been well. A possible yes to mid week "Cat" skiing, especially if that's where the snow goes. My company was sold. Good news is, I still have a job. Bad news is, I lost one week's vacation, one paid holiday, Good Friday. Also lost paid birthday usable anytime, and incentive days, one per quarter of perfect attendance. I think I had two in 18 yrs. Good news is, we long term employees were grandfathered, so we didn't have to start from scratch. Bad news is, it was so slow this past Summer I burned days I normally wouldn't. So definitely maybe to weekday Cat skiing. Winter is cold and flu season after all.[emoji6]

Hitting Snow Ridge tomorrow, 18" last two days. Their opening day, so should still be fresh.Whiteface Sunday, 23" last 7 days. I'll be wearing red pants, red jacket, red hat with a white ball on top, and a fake white beard, ho, ho, ho. Should be a great weekend.

I'll let you know if I make any midweek Cat excursions.

keyser soze

Anybody been to Hunter lately and can advise on conditions? Thinking of going this coming Sunday.

JimG.

Staff member
Anybody been to Hunter lately and can advise on conditions? Thinking of going this coming Sunday.

Conditions were excellent this past Saturday. Insanely crowded though. Many missiles of the guided and unguided variety everywhere. Many race teams from other areas clogging things up. Went to Belleayre yesterday for a needed "mellow vibe" day.

Will be at Hunter again Tues Wed and will report more then.