• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 12-6-2016

loafer89

Area Skied: Mount Snow, Vermont.

Date skied: December 6th 2016 from 1:00 - 3:30pm

Surface conditions: Packed powder, hard-packed, icy areas, thin cover.

Weather: Increasing clouds, temperatures in the middle 30's

My son had a half-day off from school, so we made the trip to Mount Snow to ski for the afternoon. It's clear the mountain is still recovering from last weeks thaw and loss of snow cover, as there are areas of thin cover where there where none last week. ROTD was Long John with TTB packed powder, Cascade had very little ice, but River Run was slick and hard-packed. Inferno was the WROTD with un-edgeable frozen groomed snow. Ridge had a good snow consistency, but I encountered 4" diameter rocks mixed in with the snow halfway down the steep pitch.

Long lift-line on Nitro Express:

Lower Nitro:

Upper Nitro without terrain features:

North Face:

Ridge, which had rocks mixed in with the snow halfway down the steep pitch:

Last edited:

Bostonian

Looks infinitely better than on Friday - but yeah recovery mode still going on. Looks like monday is the next potential storm with 3-6 inches on the way according to weather underground

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I was there on 12/6 too and disagree with some of the report. While the area getting back to the bottom of Nitro bordered on so icy as to be dangerous, the rest of the trail skied very nicely. Freefall was so well groomed, it skied more like an intermediate run. I didn't think any of the open runs had thin cover (except at the edges).

I saw neither rocks nor a "steep section" on Ridge Run. If you wanted tough stuff, I did poach some woods at the S-turn, which was pretty thin!

In total, it was a good day and my first 35+K vertical day (according to Snow Tracks) of the season.

Glenn

Nice TR. I always enjoyed Nitro early season. It's fun to ski there before the features go up. It's also fun when they start making those huge whales to create the features.