• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keystone 12/10/16

dlague

Conditions: PP with 1-2" fresh

We did not plan to ski Keystone due to a company Christmas Party. However, our son convinced my wife that we could go until 3 and still be back in time. However, our timing was not very good.

To start we ran into a slight 20 minute slow down on I-70 and arrived around 9. Part of the reason for the trip was to pick up our Epic Local Passes. Where we waited in another line. So now we have our passes and head over to Peru Express where the lift lines we long see pic below - about a 25 minute wait. So our first run was around 10:30.

First run was Pay Master then another run to Dercums Dash. It was a nice groomed run that was fun. The runs a Keystone seemed long. We then waited in line for Summit Express which was another 20 minute wait. After a quick run down Springs Dipper we opted to head in for lunch. While eating lunch we all loaded the Epic Mix App and watched times on the lifts which is a nice feature.

Once we headed back out it started snowing like crazy. Lift lines were shorted so we skied two runs from River Run Gondola - Springs Dipper again and then Flying Dutchman. Both runs skied really smooth, fast and were so quiet.

By this time it was around 1:30 so we skied back to the base of Peru Express. The run as almost non stop but took nearly 15 minutes - long ass run. Our son and I played on stuff along the wood line and along some walls to catch a little playful air.

Since we took the shuttle over we opted not to ski since the roads looked like they were getting bad and the storm was hitting full speed.

The Ride home was slow over Hoosier Pass but we also wanted to go an alternate route since I-70 was already becoming a mess and we wanted to see the path to Breckenridge which was are target for Sunday after the storm. Ended up be 30 minutes late for the party

Overall while we only skied about 5 runs, they were very fun and we felt the size of the runs at Keystone. Lots of leg burning. While there on vacation in February we skied most the back side peaks so these runs were kind of new for us. Using the Epic Mix App we looked at lift times at other Vail resorts and Keystone definitely had the longest waits. At least it was another day on the books.

6708285eec3009e566683f406b6e2df3.jpg

ced0f5362bee5c441cefd923530ec9a6.jpg

594f1ae32591c2fde9679ae22918f7c3.jpg

68a5cce152124d7966e80dd7e47e9fd0.jpg

543d872d55b75c7e6e045c31bfb88678.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

I've never gotten Keystone's vibe. I skied it a couple of times and the back was interesting, but the front side was just kind of strange to me. It's behind Copper and Breck in my rankings. Funny I feel the same about PCMR in Utah.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

I've never gotten Keystone's vibe. I skied it a couple of times and the back was interesting, but the front side was just kind of strange to me. It's behind Copper and Breck in my rankings. Funny I feel the same about PCMR in Utah.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Agree wholeheartedly. I do like many of the runs of the other peaks away from the front. We had only skied the front to get back to the base or to night ski when we were on vacation. So this was a first for us. We had a short day and it was OK - like you said it does have a strange vibe with no real lodge like feel. Breck was awesome - Trip report coming.