• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breckenridge 12/11/16

dlague

Conditions: Powder, powder chop on a nice PP base

If you cannot make it to the mountain on a powder day first thing in the morning, what is the next best thing you can get – that’s right soft powder bumps, some left overs and a trail poach or two!

After skiing Keystone the day before and going home in the middle of the storm, we were excited for a powder day at Breckenridge. We drove by Breck on our way home to see what the route was like. Hoosier Pass is no joke! With an elevation of 11,542 ft and a boat load of switchbacks heading home was very interesting. As a result, we opted not to try to get there early since the storm was still dumping and predicted to do so until 11 ish so that became our target time. It afforded us to sleep in a little longer and stopped for breakfast along the way. We got to Hoosier Pass and they had done a decent job clearing it which was nice, did not know what to expect with about a foot of snowfall since we drove through last.

So we arrived at 11:30 and it was still snowing lightly and we parked in the lot next to Gondola North in town which takes you to Peak 7 and Peak 8. It makes three stops – one residential and two at peak bases. We will probably take that option again. Parking was $12. When we arrived to Peak 8, the Dew Tour was happening and there was quite a buzz. It was a winter wonderland and as you can imagine our excitement was crazy. Just looking around we liked Breck already.

From the Rocky Mountain Super Chair (Quad), our first run was on a traverse (Columbine) over to Northstar. This run skied beautifully with soft bumps everywhere and powder leftovers off to the side. We cut into the trees sometimes to catch some freshies. What we found to be amazing was how soft the powder felt and how easy it was to turn in the powder as well as powder chop. It was a different type of snow than we had experienced before. Up to this point we had skied groomed runs and thin layers of fresh in Colorado and Banff. The huge early rise on our skis cruised over the snow effortlessly as if they were designed for that purpose (Dynastar Cham 97 – me, and 87 – wife). For our next few runs we opted to ski off the 6 person Colorado Super Chair on runs like Four o’clock to Springmeier and Crescendo. It did not matter which run we were on the powder bumps were everywhere which were also fun to jump from and were playful. The one thing that struck us was the amount of safety signs there were like No Jumping, Ski Fast Lose Pass, No Passing Zone (totally absurd), No Straightlining, Stay in Control, etc. In addition, every “Slow” sign had a ski patrol watching for speeders. A couple of times my son and I would race a section and we would have to slam the skis sideways due to a yellow coat.

Around 1 pm, we headed in to the bar for a beer and then sat outside (bar was packed). We watched a little of the Dew Tour on a large screen since the event was not set up for public attendance – could not ski to it but you could hike to it however not too many chose that option.

After a quick break, we headed back up the Colorado Super Chair (BTW moves fast) to ski down Four O’clock over to Peak 9. Felt like we were at a whole other resort. It was much quieter their and the restaurant/bar seemed almost empty, the trails there were pretty empty as well. We skied from the Beaver Run Super Chair and skied Sundown because we wanted to do the Epic Race but it was not set up yet. Our next run was on American which had a steeper top section with nice bumps then mellowed out and ended on Sundown. Everything seemed more subdued at Peak 9, more groomed out, less buzz yet this seemed rather enjoyable – ski on ski off. We will probably explore Peak 9 more over the upcoming weekends, but for now that was good and we wanted to head back on Peak 8 Super Connector but poached a trail and it sent us to an obscure area where there was a double that took us over to Peak 8’s beginner area – opps! I was getting later in the afternoon and my wife was wiped but she opted to do one more run. We got on the Colorado Super Chair and took another traverse trail (Pathfinder) over to Dukes Run. This trail had a short head wall and then dropped into more really nice soft bumps. Almost like a final treat and it felt like one of our most enjoyable runs.

While my wife was toast, my son wanted me to do a couple runs with him and our runs were spotted from the chair. The primary route was Spruce which was a very fun bump run that was well spaced. However, my son had other ideas and we skied through islands of trees that are unlabeled in the map. In fact there are lots of trails and connectors that are not shown. On happened to be an old liftline or something of that nature. It was steep and super narrow, however about a third the way down I bailed because rocks were exposed but my son skied it. I cut through the trees back to spruce for more bumps. We then cut back into the trees to ski a narrow path that took us close to the base across a section of barely tracked out powder. Our last run was down Spruce again and it was top to bottom nonstop and by the time we were finished my quads were on fire.

We finished our day at the bar at the base of Peak 8 and chilled to great music and lots of people with smiles on their faces talking about how great the day was. This ended up being one of our top days and they are not even 20% open. Considering what was open, conditions were near perfect and skiing Breck was one that we were looking forward to. There were 35 open trails many that we never got to ski. Then again, I felt we skied a lot for a half day. The runs seemed long, lifts were fast. Next time we will focus on a Peak at a time.

Based on where we live Breck will probably become our home base. The town is awesome too!

3b2cd4c5b59533fc774bfd93b3af37d0.jpg

2cdd2c42dae044d122828c32f1713be3.jpg

af661e985c40006ca370dc0ced8f1df1.jpg

37e61d4ddb40a1321febd95c6c59ad62.jpg

60591fdc2ef597927cec4d8ac3e14b7b.jpg

Last edited:

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR Dave, looks great. I considered a day at Breck my last visit to CO, I checked the price for a day pass online, $135, I reconsidered

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

When my wife and I were out there early this summer, Breckenridge was our favorite town. I wish we had stayed there rather than Kestone. I read your Kestone post also. We rode the gondola up and hiked up to the peak to lookers left, and then hiked down. I wasn't really into the base village. It didn't do much for me. It was really small, and for shopping purposes it was absurdly expensive. Believe it or not, most of our purchases were done in Vail and Breckinridge (we bought some ski gear out there).

I'm sure you guys will have a great season out there. I really loved the whole Summit county area!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR Dave, looks great. I considered a day at Breck my last visit to CO, I checked the price for a day pass online, $135, I reconsidered. Ended up at Wolf Creek. I think it was $45 with the $10 off from my motel. I am interested in trying some new to me places in CO, including Breck.

dlague

When my wife and I were out there early this summer, Breckenridge was our favorite town. I wish we had stayed there rather than Kestone. I read your Kestone post also. We rode the gondola up and hiked up to the peak to lookers left, and then hiked down. I wasn't really into the base village. It didn't do much for me. It was really small, and for shopping purposes it was absurdly expensive. Believe it or not, most of our purchases were done in Vail and Breckinridge (we bought some ski gear out there).

I'm sure you guys will have a great season out there. I really loved the whole Summit county area!

Got us thinking about getting a piece of land and throwing a tiny house on it. Place to eat, chill out and sleep - thats it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

prsboogie

Funny reading this TR as I just got the "We would like to off you a 4 day 3 night vacation package for $99 - all you have to do is give up 2 hours of your very limited vacation to visit tour our ridiculously expensive Grand Breck" phone call and when I asked if I could pay when I got there he hung up 😏

Edd

I skied Breck last year for the first time prepared to dislike it (due to a reputation for crowds) but I had a pretty fun day there and the town is easy to like.

I also enjoyed skiing Keystone as well. The mountain was more interesting than I expected. I agree about the village, though.

dlague

I skied Breck last year for the first time prepared to dislike it (due to a reputation for crowds) but I had a pretty fun day there and the town is easy to like.

I also enjoyed skiing Keystone as well. The mountain was more interesting than I expected. I agree about the village, though.
Early season Keystone was OK and we had some good runs but I am looking forward stuff opening up on the other side of Dercum. We enjoyed in February when it was fully open.

Breck became a favorite really fast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

skiNEwhere

Breck has always been my go to ski area. Yes it gets crowded on the week ends so you really gotta know what areas to stay away from, but the terrain is really good IMHO.

jimk

Dlague, you are doing a nice job of getting around and logging some early season ski days! I skied Breckenridge a number of times in 2015, including some days with skNEwhere. First time there and I really enjoyed it, just stayed clear of lowest base areas as much as possible. The only drawback was the high elevation and its effects on your stamina/respiration, but that is mostly a short term vacationer's issue and you will have a local's lungs, so enjoy! Some of my Breck photos and comments here: http://www.epicski.com/a/breckenridge-co-a-pictorial

PS: one strategy for free parking is to use the free satellite airport rd parking lot. shuttle runs frequently from there to gondi base. Then around 1 or 2 pm someone in your party can head back to car and relocate it to town of Breckenridge where there are some options including free three hour parking on some streets and free parking lots after 3pm. If you snag one of these you can meet up with your party, ski a few more runs and then do some apres-ski together before going home. see here for parking info:
http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/y...arking-community-service/parking/free-parking

Last edited: