• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mavis is horrible Shop

ScottySkis

So basically I had tire's replace d their about a month in half ago. About a week ago I noticed the car bouncing up and down. When I brought to my mechanic he basically says i luck I didn't kill anyone. Mavis didn't tork the tires. It was practically coming off.
I went their Tuesday and today. They they replace wheel today. They ordered the wrong wheel and I get to waste another day on Saturday. They will not pay my mechanic bill because he certificate d mechanic.
Letter from my mechanic:

Job 1 wheel stud
Total $100
Vehicle came in with 1 lug nut holding right rear wheel to vehicle. Remove and replace 5 wheel studs. And lug nuts on right rare hub. Installed spare tire as vehicle as damage to original am wheel was to excessive to reinstall. All lug holes oblonged. Right rear wheel bearing also suffered damage as a result of loose wheel. Will need right rear hub / bearing replacement. Along with new wheel. Note: Torked all 90 Ft. Lbs.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

Scotty, I think it's standard operating procedure that shops want you to come back after driving 10-20 miles or so so that they can retourque the wheels to prevent this.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hammer

Scotty, I think it's standard operating procedure that shops want you to come back after driving 10-20 miles or so so that they can retourque the wheels to prevent this.

+1...Town Fair Tire requests this every time. Not sure I've always done it though.

Guessing it would never hurt to double check the lug nuts as soon as one gets the car home. You would know at least if they are hand tight.

ScottySkis

Weird. I've purchased tires there in NH at least 3x and they've never asked me to do this. Makes sense.
Actually now that I went through going it is on the Bill at the bottom.. they never mention it. More annoying that i lost if 3 day s of skiing because of this. They ordered the wrong wheel. So I still have Dunkin doughnut on the car. It was all supposed be fixed today. They fixed the bearing today. Wheel should be Saturday. Thanks to from
Jim so I can tommorow at Hunter. But would have rather gone to Mountain snow.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mriceyman

Mavis just bought out our sts who we had good luck with. Havent tried these mavis guys yet

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
IMG_6041.jpg
Last week on a company van , yep nuts on backwards. New tires and a new kid in a hurry LOL. Fortunately the wheel cover came off so we caught it the same day.
The shop should make good for your trouble , if there a chain maybe you can contact a regional person?

Jersey Skier

This reminds me I was supposed to go back to Costco to have them re-torque the bolts about 3 months ago.

Hawkshot99

I bought new tires from them 2 months ago or so. They claim on their website they will beat any bodies prices. So I took a price from Walmart to the mavis right by my work, so I could walk to work. He was trying every single way possible to get out of matching the price. Even claimed he had never hear of walmart selling tires. I walked out of there. Decided even if I did get for the right price I didn't want that guy touching my truck.
I called corporate and filed a complaint about the store and manager.
I ended getting the tires for the correct price at another mavis. They did the work fine, but told me.it would be 1.5 hrs, and I sat there for hrs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Midas recommended coming back after 50 miles or so to recheck the torque after they replaced my wheel bearings last year. Maybe I'm naive, but if they are properly torqued to begin with, how exactly will they loosen? None of the independent places I ever went for wheel/tire work said to recheck though.

prsboogie

Midas recommended coming back after 50 miles or so to recheck the torque after they replaced my wheel bearings last year. Maybe I'm naive, but if they are properly torqued to begin with, how exactly will they loosen? None of the independent places I ever went for wheel/tire work said to recheck though.

It's just good business. Road vibrations torque and friction could cause a lug to back out. If one wheel fell off and they (or any shop in the country was) sued then shops everywhere will implement this policy to avoid potential issues. It's the Hot Coffee effect.

Cornhead

This happened to my son's car after taking off snows on steel rims, and mounting alloy rims back onto the car. The alloy rims were torqued properly when installed. He noticed vibration, took it to the shop. He was told you should always retorque alloy rims after driving on them a bit. I guess the corrosion on the rims allows the wheels to loosen up after they are driven on. Once retorqed, they should be good to go. I don't know if taking a wire brush to the back side of the rims would eliminate the need to retorque, or not. It was the first I'd heard of the issue. I now always retorque my alloy rims after reinstalling in the Spring.

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

kbird

A guy at Mavis broke my e-brake and pretended he didn't brake it (no pun intended), I was pissed, won't go back there again! Just a heads up to Corn, Benski and other locals here.