Mavis is horrible Shop - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Midas recommended coming back after 50 miles or so to recheck the torque after they replaced my wheel bearings last year. Maybe I'm naive, but if they are properly torqued to begin with, how exactly will they loosen? None of the independent places I ever went for wheel/tire work said to recheck though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Midas recommended coming back after 50 miles or so to recheck the torque after they replaced my wheel bearings last year. Maybe I'm naive, but if they are properly torqued to begin with, how exactly will they loosen? None of the independent places I ever went for wheel/tire work said to recheck though.

It's just good business. Road vibrations torque and friction could cause a lug to back out. If one wheel fell off and they (or any shop in the country was) sued then shops everywhere will implement this policy to avoid potential issues. It's the Hot Coffee effect.

15-16 Killington 11-17-16

This happened to my son's car after taking off snows on steel rims, and mounting alloy rims back onto the car. The alloy rims were torqued properly when installed. He noticed vibration, took it to the shop. He was told you should always retorque alloy rims after driving on them a bit. I guess the corrosion on the rims allows the wheels to loosen up after they are driven on. Once retorqed, they should be good to go. I don't know if taking a wire brush to the back side of the rims would eliminate the need to retorque, or not. It was the first I'd heard of the issue. I now always retorque my alloy rims after reinstalling in the Spring.

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

A guy at Mavis broke my e-brake and pretended he didn't brake it (no pun intended), I was pissed, won't go back there again! Just a heads up to Corn, Benski and other locals here.

Thread Information