MyHikes - share, track, and plan hikes! - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Along with the AMC huts and USFS shelters, here's another list of the RMC shelters:
    http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/...rshelters.html

Having these combined in one visual view with hiking trails (and route descriptions) would be cool.

Good luck!
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

@mtncobber on the instafeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by wtcobb View Post
    Cool - thanks for understanding and the updates. TBH I'm not certain of that particular location along the Livermore Trail.
    Yeah neither am I unfortunately. At least according to the dispersed camping rules, it doesn't rule out camping along that trail and there may be a sketchy designated site on the trail already. I can followup with the guy who added it, but I know he always tells me he stays off of private land and always follows the trail rules, so I do trust his judgement.

Not trying to knock the site/effort - as I said there's definitely a good niche here for planning, and having one source to encompass a variety of camping locations along with the trails to hike would certainly be useful. The first trail I looked at happened to recommend camping in an illegal spot, so some ongoing cleanup/policing might be needed to ensure you're not promoting these locations.
    I agree, but luckily the user base is pretty small right now so I can stay on top of new trail data. It's also excellent to get user feedback, this is why I'm trying to promote it a bit to see if other people are interested. So far my user count has tripled and I've already got 20 more trails than I had last week, so it's fun to watch it progress. Worst case scenario, I'm using it as a basis for my professional work to show off my skills and to practice new technologies with... and it serves well as a personal trail journal too. I'm interested to see how many trails I can knock out over the next 10 years or so.

Along with the AMC huts and USFS shelters, here's another list of the RMC shelters:
    http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/...rshelters.html

Having these combined in one visual view with hiking trails (and route descriptions) would be cool.

Good luck!
    Oh yeah that's great idea. I'll think about building in support to add in hut/shelter locations, thanks a lot!

Should add a location feature so it can zoom the map to your location.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Should add a location feature so it can zoom the map to your location.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion and I've actually been working on that feature, but it's on the back burner for the moment. Since I started promoting the site, I started fixing up more bugs and trying to cover my bases... BUT I should have that feature ready before the Spring.

Edit: I was mostly talking about finding your location while creating a trail... but adding a zoom feature to the map for your location could be really handy for both the main 'Map' page and the individual trail's pages!

It won't be perfect though - HTML5 and geolocation can only work so well without using the native phone libraries (i.e. it doesn't have the same capabilities as an app), but it should make creating trails from the trail head easier or roughly finding your location out on a trail easier too. I'm also looking into seeing how reliable the location tracking could be, but I can say that I don't think it will be reliable enough compared to using one of the apps I suggest on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by djmill View Post
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion and I've actually been working on that feature, but it's on the back burner for the moment. Since I started promoting the site, I started fixing up more bugs and trying to cover my bases... BUT I should have that feature ready before the Spring.

Edit: I was mostly talking about finding your location while creating a trail... but adding a zoom feature to the map for your location could be really handy for both the main 'Map' page and the individual trail's pages!

It won't be perfect though - HTML5 and geolocation can only work so well without using the native phone libraries (i.e. it doesn't have the same capabilities as an app), but it should make creating trails from the trail head easier or roughly finding your location out on a trail easier too. I'm also looking into seeing how reliable the location tracking could be, but I can say that I don't think it will be reliable enough compared to using one of the apps I suggest on the site.
    Are you considering making this an app? Especially, when hiking and being able to track where you are especially when the trails are not obvious being mobile helps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Are you considering making this an app? Especially, when hiking and being able to track where you are especially when the trails are not obvious being mobile helps.
    I would love to, but I have a lot of limitations:
    1. Cost - apple store ~$100/year, Android app store is a one time fee < $50 I think.. and I would also need to buy my own Mac to build the iPhone app -- I can't use my work machine, otherwise my work could technically own my products. So throw in a MBP - $1500+
    2. Time - I currently put a lot of time into the site itself, building new features, and fixing bugs... it takes up a lot of time.

I won't say that we won't ever have apps, I just don't know when it'll happen. If the site started getting donations, I may be able to justify buying a Mac and building an iPhone app and then building an Android app too, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The flip-side to it though, is that you can use a free app and then port your trails over to MyHikes - I've listed both apps on the FAQs page. They get the job done, but the integration piece is missing. So for Android (and Windows phone) users, you can create trails right from your phone by using the Android 'My Tracks' app by Google. Or on iPhone you can use the 'Trails' app to record and export your trails over to MyHikes. But I agree, I really wish I had apps... there are just a few limitations for the time being.

Edit: with that thought, I may be able to bake in some logic for users to export their trails to an email address like: <username>@myhikes.org - and then the system could create a trail based on the GPX file that you send it - as long as your username is in our system... the only downside to this is authentication and making sure that the user is coming from the same device - since the 3rd party app would not know who actually is sending the data... see, so many problems! haha

Quick update: new feature added for users with accounts - you can now track your position on any trail by using just your browser.

Currently working on trail creation, with GPS data, from just the browser as well!

Thread Information