• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk 12/17/16

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Date(s) Skied:
12/17/16

Resort or Ski Area:
Elk

Conditions:
Powder,powder and more powder!

Trip Report:

yes,yes,yes,No...No..No....Oh No!!@#$$%^&.,Of F!@K, Yes,Yes!!!!!!!!Awsome.Crash Owwwwwwwwww.

A very eventfull trip , left home in moderate snow, picked up in intesity past Camelback ,then heavy sleet turning to freezing rain. It continued even all the way to the exit off the interstate. Envisioning scraping my googles every run. The ride in from the interstate ended up a 10 car caravan held up by a young inexperienced driver. I stopped 100' behind a Jeep that was behind her , she did'nt carry momentum to make it up the next hill.WEll the Jeep made it in 2 wheel ,as I waited for him ,45 seconds later someones trying to pass the Suburu behind me , he cuts him off and they exchanged formailties.Still 2 miles away and still sleeting!@#$%^
Well ? There's a chance that the elevation could deflect the cold air high enough to create snow. Hail mary caught for a touchdown the last half mile was snow ending and alot of it. Two point conversion as well "Untracked "visable.

Made a couple runs in some 7" of fresh light powder , noticed 4 trails with ropes .Elk is very strict and lots of patrol around. Noticed a group of patrollers by Lackawanna , Lapped Tunckhannock hoping the would drop the rope. !00 yds from the top I spot 4 patrollers heading down . Lots of hoots and Hollars! I couldn't see the entrance to the trail entrance because of the pine trees. By the time I made it over it looked like a school of Pirannas hit it. The sides were untouched. I was very supprised to be in 18" deep powder ? They got 7"? . Lots of lake effect with cold temps kept it seamless. Three other trails had ropes all day :sad:

Went in for lunch and came out late ,visibility had gone down and I decided to ski Seneca wich has 50' pine trees on both sides . I cut in high and still having trouble seeing made two turns and hit a soft bump (earlier) had hardened up a bit over lunch with the traffic and rising temps. spun around and landed in a mogul trough really hard . With the wind knocked out me I slid on my back with under the lift . Bad enough but an audience too.

Best day in years even with the crash.

Cornhead

Cool, had my best day at Greek in years, a foot overnight ontop of whatever LES they got during the week, good 18" total, or so it seemed. Only harassment I saw of poachers was a couple maintenance guys on sleds scolding someone at the top of Illiad, too bad, the one trail I didn't ski today. I was gonna make it my last run, they shut the guns down, soon as they did people started skiing it. Only trail not skied out at that point.

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Have'nt been to Greek in 20yrs ,Glad you scored! Rode the Quad with only 2 people all day , no crowd at all. Was on the lift by the lodge with and older patroller, he spotted two tracks on a closed trail and said " I'm going to catch them !" ? I'm thinking "Damn what are you on commision? I serously considered ripping off my ticket and handing to him for a first tracks ride in 18" LOL