abandoning facebook

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    abandoning facebook

    How many were heavy facebook users and now no longer log-in or log-in very little?

    Interesting post from slopefillers.com: http://www.slopefillers.com/social-media-usage-2/
    Aimed at ski marketing types, but touches on a universal issue about excessive facebook time cutting into an individual's productivity and creativity?!?

    Just kind of curious because personally I never joined facebook. Must admit though, that I use ski forums as a sort of focused alternative.


  2. #2
    So 90 minutes after I make this post I open up Jan '17 Ski Mag and read article on Can Facebook Save Skiing?

    It touts how important social media, esp Facebook is at snagging the younger generation. So what do I know?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    So 90 minutes after I make this post I open up Jan '17 Ski Mag and read article on Can Facebook Save Skiing?

    It touts how important social media, esp Facebook is at snagging the younger generation. So what do I know?
    More than that magazine. Facebook is for old people. The kids are on many other platforms.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

    Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    More than that magazine. Facebook is for old people. The kids are on many other platforms.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    Young people are all over the place with there platforms. In college you have to use Facebook to keep track of Club events. What young people don't do much is post Facebook statuses.

  5. #5
    Lots of transitional people and lots of cool people I've met over the years so I like Facebook.
    Its pretty awful during election years so anyone that's regurgitating infowars stuff goes on ignore. If you spend all day on it then its obviously a problem and delete....other than that it works fine for its purpose.

  6. #6
    Snapchat seems to be where it's at for youngsters. Facebook is nothing to them even though they have accts. my kids check it maybe weekly. FB to me is a frustrating platform but I deal to keep up with friends and fam. But don't get sucked into it all day. When I'm bored and need distraction it's perfect but when busy don't even think about it. It was horrid during election time tho - can't be called "social" media then - it's argumentative people yelling at brick walls lol.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    mahopac, ny
    Posts
    1,466
    Facebook is great to keep in touch with my skiing community which is very spread out.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    More than that magazine. Facebook is for old people. The kids are on many other platforms.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

    My sister told me about five years ago lots of old people jumped into Facebook big time and that's when anyone under 35 backed away from high activity because their parents were watching and it wasn't cool anymore.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post

    My sister told me about five years ago lots of old people jumped into Facebook big time and that's when anyone under 35 backed away from high activity because their parents were watching and it wasn't cool anymore.
    Yes, but more like seven years ago. Once my parents joined is exactly when I stopped using it. Thinking that Facebook is the way to connect with youth was great a decade ago, but is an obsolete strategy.
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

    Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    Yes, but more like seven years ago. Once my parents joined is exactly when I stopped using it. Thinking that Facebook is the way to connect with youth was great a decade ago, but is an obsolete strategy.
    I am a sophomore in college. It is a common medium for communicating public events, memes, and politics. I fallow many ski areas on Facebook and based on likes I am not the only one. One girl I know who is a freshman in college even shares some Jackson Hole posts. Instagram could be great for ski areas to share pictures, especially if they are ascetically pleasing. Snapchat it is defiantly important to have an attractive filter so someones pictures can clearly be identified as a particular resort. I don't see resorts getting threw to many people on snapchat though it doesn't hurt to post a "snapstory."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:54 AM.