X-mas warm-up....

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

X-mas warm-up....

How bad is it gonna be?

MRG guy talking about some rain around the 25, and more toward's NYE. Ugh.

Experienced forum members, your thoughts?

Hope everyone enjoyed early December! For precip...warm up with a couple of cutter chances. Maybe a couple inches in NVT and the Whites Thursday and a slim chance for a NNE event the 26th but that is about it as far as winter goes. We can hope the GFS north/west bias is on again as it has been for multiple systems this year. The NAM and RGEM have been very good but they only go inside a couple days+ out.

Long term I'm not exactly digging things the next few weeks but the cold is close by in eastern Canada.
    Rest up for 2017!
    Last edited by Tin; Dec 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Well, things are bulletproof now. Only way skiing can be good with this snow is warm temps and sunshine. 40 degrees and bluebird skies. Keeps the masses entertained and the hills busy.
    2017-2018 3 Days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12 Stratton: 11/22 Killington: 12/1
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Hope everyone enjoyed early December! For precip...warm up with a couple of cutter chances. Maybe a couple inches in NVT and the Whites Thursday and a slim chance for a NNE event the 26th but that is about it as far as winter goes. We can hope the GFS north/west bias is on again as it has been for multiple systems this year. The NAM and RGEM have been very good but they only go inside a couple days+ out.

Long term I'm not exactly digging things the next few weeks but the cold is close by in eastern Canada.
    Rest up for 2017!
    I expect it will be a warm (not necessarily blowtorch) for the holidays, little natural, but good snowmaking nights. Cold will be advertised for early January by the models 7 days out but won't actually show up till late January, so terrain expansion will be slow and people will have to stay away from the ledge. Then snow and probably some more numbing cold before finally settling in for a rather pleasant final 6 to 8 weeks of the season. In other words a typical northeast season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Wow sounds like the refreezing hardened all the good stuff on the trails. That is unfortunate since once snow fall or new manmade covers it this will produce scraped off conditions early in the day for a while unless there is sustained cold.

The thaw always seems to hit around Xmas into the new year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Northern NH Looks to stay cold with a little snow 2/22 and even some 2/26
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Something sneaky might be going on...
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Sneaky good?
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

@mtncobber on the instafeeds.

Josh Fox on twitter suggesting arctic air might thwart the first warm up, but probably not the second. Tim Kelley likewise thinks we skate it, and good conditions will exist for X-mas, but doesn't go beyond that on STE update.

Dang...we're skiing right after the second potential thaw/rain....and then it looks to be single digits...

But weather.com doesn't look bad long term. I know it's a long way out, but just holding on to hope.

Aren't there apps we can use to track Tins whereabouts?

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Thread Information