• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where are you skiing today!

bdfreetuna

What's the trick with spring riding?

FreeE thaw cycle results in icey morning corduroy, softens up late morning early afternoon then by 2 is mash potatoe slush. This sound about right?

Trying to ride out the spring to get my money's worth but wanted to seek advice on when to go. Seems like sneaking in mid morning after sun has had some time on the slopes is most ideal?

If stuff really freezes up overnight, I aim for the groomers that are facing sun in the morning first. Then as things warm try to ski where the sun hits first and work your way around the mountain. Once it's warm enough that everything is soft, avoid the areas that have seen the earliest sun (avoid mush). Usually in the afternoon ski mostly bumps and, if possible, woods.

Jully

If stuff really freezes up overnight, I aim for the groomers that are facing sun in the morning first. Then as things warm try to ski where the sun hits first and work your way around the mountain. Once it's warm enough that everything is soft, avoid the areas that have seen the earliest sun (avoid mush). Usually in the afternoon ski mostly bumps and, if possible, woods.

Following the sun becomes really important in the spring.

prsboogie

That and I usually get an ass crack of 10 start!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skicub

GImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490109269.721946.jpg
3/20 was beautiful at Sunday River! Runs before noon were all around spectacular. Aurora and Jordan early were heavenly, and things started to soften on heavily trafficked North Peak/South Ridge as the afternoon warmed. 3D was groomed and gorgeous till 4pm, and upper elevations stayed firm as the day wore on. Monday Mourning at 3pm felt like February snow conditions, though White Heat was ice capades pretty early (Obsession stayed nice for awhile). Barker chair down (not happy), but Locke provided some spectacular backside views of Mt. Wash. Overall, wonderful day! ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490109558.733227.jpg

the cubbiest skier you've ever met

Jully

Sounds like this is the year SR is going to have to replace Barker. Its been down for what - more than 2 weeks (probably closer to 3) of normal operating days this year? Some of those days were peak days too if I recall.

Glad you had a good day though!

gnardawg

I was at SR 2 weeks ago and thought I was imagining things but has Barker been slowed down considerably? It felt like the lift was running @ maybe 50% speed.

Sounds like this is the year SR is going to have to replace Barker. Its been down for what - more than 2 weeks (probably closer to 3) of normal operating days this year? Some of those days were peak days too if I recall.

Glad you had a good day though!

Jully

I was at SR 2 weeks ago and thought I was imagining things but has Barker been slowed down considerably? It felt like the lift was running @ maybe 50% speed.

Potentially. The lift usually runs slowish (I think 700 or 800 fpm), but it could have gotten even slower. I haven't been up in a few weeks.

Quietman

Potentially. The lift usually runs slowish (I think 700 or 800 fpm), but it could have gotten even slower. I haven't been up in a few weeks.

When we were there earlier this month it was running below full speed at what I would guess at 700 fpm all day.

Cornhead

Greek Peak, tonight, or better yet, tomorrow. I'll have to see how much work we have at the end of the day. Sunny and 35° tomorrow, much prefer that to the teens tonight.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Vaughn

Anyone been to Waterville this week? Been to Bretton and Cannon this winter so was thinking of hitting WV this weekend for a change and to check out the new trails.

Jully

Anyone been to Waterville this week? Been to Bretton and Cannon this winter so was thinking of hitting WV this weekend for a change and to check out the new trails.

Not much opened at all off Green Peak this year at WV. Only stuff that ever opened was the new green from the top of the peak I think. I was actually at WV Sunday visiting an old friend. Coverage was nice pretty much everywhere except the top of True Grit and Gema because of exposure to the sun. The northside especially was in great shape. Trees were good if you knew where to look and Bobby's and lower sel's had some bumps.

Overall pretty solid for WV. Depending on how much you liked Cannon/how many times you've been this year I would still probably recommend going back to cannon.

dlague

Not much opened at all off Green Peak this year at WV. Only stuff that ever opened was the new green from the top of the peak I think. I was actually at WV Sunday visiting an old friend. Coverage was nice pretty much everywhere except the top of True Grit and Gema because of exposure to the sun. The northside especially was in great shape. Trees were good if you knew where to look and Bobby's and lower sel's had some bumps.

Overall pretty solid for WV. Depending on how much you liked Cannon/how many times you've been this year I would still probably recommend going back to cannon.
Yes everyone should go to Cannon!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Telluride today and tomorrow(probably).

Really fun ski town here. Did not really enjoy the mountain besides the views today. Melt and refreeze = some of the least enjoyable runs I've taken this season. So mostly skied intermediate terrain and for that it's not a very good hill.

skicub

3/29/17 - Mt Sunapee

Love sunapee for a half day or close day trip, but conditions were Dicier than I have experienced this season. There was rain earlier this week, but I didn't expect this amount of damage. Ridge was great from top to bottom, as well as chipmunk, eggbeater, lower hansen and the more intermediate stuff (beginner runs fine too). Bonanza, goosebumps, lynx, and sun bowl seemed to be nearing their end. Hopefully the storm helps cover them up for their last week.

That being said, Great views and grooming as always, and everyone was very friendly too!
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490969222.074487.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490969259.324117.jpg

I spotted over 4 different ski areas off the west side of the mountain. Impressive! ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1490969353.608518.jpg

the cubbiest skier you've ever met

drjeff

fafd7bbe49fa04ca3857beabe63879c5.jpg

Enjoying 8-12" of dense snow at Mount Snow today

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

A foot plus of dry, mid density snow at Wildcat. 100% open and skiing spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app