• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where are you skiing today!

Cornhead

K was good today, weather was outstanding.
205dcb470dfdedf06b3d7c973f9f3e2e.jpg
b160c6b79d5b924c871afc4ff3823b1d.jpg
b1f6d42e94987cae4e19854df6184184.jpg
b5bddaaaeb4ff992387101c33306cfa1.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Superstar is stacked right now, what to me was REALLY impressive was how deep down low the spine was to skiers left near the Snow logic tower guns yesterday!!

Additionally in the good side, the lift tower at roughly the base of where the lower headwall "S" develops, had NO SIGN of the towers concrete base showing yesterday!! Still lots of snow on Supe!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Rambo

Skied Killington on Sun. 4/23/17 with Cornhead. Fantastic warm, sunny, spring skiing.
Superstar had been groomed overnight and it bumped up after awhile.

a couple of pics:
GEDC3905.jpg

GEDC3884.jpg

GEDC3858.jpg

GEDC3850.jpg

GEDC3927.jpg

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Is that you? Did you guys do Tuckerman last weekend?

No, I wish !! ,looks like a nice day though. I watch more Youtube than TV (hardly turn it on) . Recomendations come up alot for Tucks. Hillmans is bumped up in their vid. Make sure you post a trip report when you go . I have had an awfull ski year frequency wise ...family stuff killing me .

Jcb890

No, I wish !! ,looks like a nice day though. I watch more Youtube than TV (hardly turn it on) . Recomendations come up alot for Tucks. Hillmans is bumped up in their vid. Make sure you post a trip report when you go . I have had an awfull ski year frequency wise ...family stuff killing me .
Oh okay.

I'll definitely post photos and a report if/when I go, but I haven't found a pack after checking out 3 different stores this weekend. Lugging a board by arm/hand for 3+ hours sounds kind of awful.

dlague

Oh okay.

I'll definitely post photos and a report if/when I go, but I haven't found a pack after checking out 3 different stores this weekend. Lugging a board by arm/hand for 3+ hours sounds kind of awful.
Google or bing "snowboarding backcountry packs" - there are a bunch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Google or bing "snowboarding backcountry packs" - there are a bunch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
Oh I know they're out there. Eastern Boarder had one also and for a decent price, just too small to really be useful. I'm also a cheap mf'er so I'm always looking for the best deal and not trying to break the bank on any of my gear.

Cornhead

My only visit to Tuckerman I skied with the T4T guys on the snowfields up top on Saturday. I told one of them I was planning on hiking up to the bowl from Pinkham the following day. He asked if I had a pack, I said no, he strongly suggested having one. I went to Wally world and found a decent sized internal frame pack. Halfway up the hiking trail I noticed the seams of the straps coming undone. I had images of balancing 45lbs on top of my head. The pack held up, I returned it the next day for a refund. I essentially borrowed a pack from Walmart. Looking back, I don't know how people hike it without a pack. I had all I could handle with one.

Jcb890

My only visit to Tuckerman I skied with the T4T guys on the snowfields up top on Saturday. I told one of them I was planning on hiking up to the bowl from Pinkham the following day. He asked if I had a pack, I said no, he strongly suggested having one. I went to Wally world and found a decent sized internal frame pack. Halfway up the hiking trail I noticed the seams of the straps coming undone. I had images of balancing 45lbs on top of my head. The pack held up, I returned it the next day for a refund. I essentially borrowed a pack from Walmart. Looking back, I don't know how people hike it without a pack. I had all I could handle with one.

Hmmmmm, that's a pretty good idea!
I was at Wal-Mart Sunday already, should have looked. We've got a couple of them close-by obviously (doesn't everyone?) so maybe I'll take a look tonight or tomorrow after work to see if there's anything there worth trying.

Cornhead

Hmmmmm, that's a pretty good idea!
I was at Wal-Mart Sunday already, should have looked. We've got a couple of them close-by obviously (doesn't everyone?) so maybe I'll take a look tonight or tomorrow after work to see if there's anything there worth trying.
Idk, I think I dodged a bullet, I'd spend the dollars for a name brand pack that won't let you down. They're all probably made in China, what isn't these days.

Jcb890

Idk, I think I dodged a bullet, I'd spend the dollars for a name brand pack that won't let you down. They're all probably made in China, what isn't these days.

You're probably right, but I don't know if I'll find the pack I want, at the right price, in the right amount of time, meanwhile I might be able to do what you did at Wal-Mart.

drjeff

Having tried the half assed way (make whatever pack try and work) vs the proper way (getting a pack that is designed to carry a board/skis as it's primary function, I wish that I had never made the mistake of thinking that my jury rigging of the basic Burton pack that I had won in a raffle, that looked like it had straps and sleeves to adequately secure my gear for a relatively simple hike about a mile up Mount Snow (verses something more substantial like the hike to Tuck's). The way my gear, even using the tie downs was moving around, bumping into the back of my legs, etc was really annoying!!!

Realizing that I did like the concept of hiking for turns, and that I was going to do it again, I went to REI, about this time of year, a couple of years ago, and bought a ski/board specific pack, for about $80 on clearance, with a real rigid frame, real, thought out tie down locations and sleeves, real waist and shoulder area straps to keep the pack stable, while loaded with my gear and hiking, and frankly it made a world of difference in my overall comfort and enjoyment