• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breckenridge 12/30/2016

dlague

Conditions: PP and wind blown firm

This was going to be our last day of skiing and with temps getting in the 50 in the Springs, we knew skiing was going to be nice. The high was around 40 but the trails never got to spring like conditions as I was expecting. If fact mid winter conditions prevailed. Wind was a bit of a factor which I will explain as I go along.

This was our second day at Breckenridge and we had a little trouble parking but finally figured it out. Parking is tough there so spread out and not much near the bases. Based on parking we though it was going to be super busy but really was not that bad due to the sheer amount of lifts. This time out we opted to ski runs that we have yet to be on. We ended up skiing runs on Peak 7 and 6 before heading back to Peak 8 and 9. Peak 8 seemed busy so our first run was Columbine to Pioneer to Swan City. Columbine is a traverse so nothing exciting but Pioneer and Swan City skied really nice with soft snow on PP that skied very quiet. The line at Independence Lift was a little long about 10-15 minutes but was OK. Next we wanted Peak 6. So we worked out way over to Zendo and then Kensho lifts. Holy slow lifts. That series was a one and done with the winds. The run we opted for was Bliss which is a small bowl that had bumps to skiers right and was a steep flat fun front the middle to skiers left. The runs was a bit strange because the wind was blowing lighter snow off and that exposed firm spots. From there we skied back to Independence Chair on a run that has no name that is designated a blue but felt like a green. It did haveThe are signs for No Straightlining but that cannot be helped.

Having had enough there we worked our way back to Peak 8 base then skied over to Peak 9. We skied runs to skiers right from the top of Beaver Run and Mercury Super Chairs. There a lot nice trees and runs over there. Even runs skied super nice and the trees were spaced so we could ski them fairly quickly. We spent most of our time there since the Mercury lift line was short. Runs were Cashier, Bonanza and Columbia and the trees between.

We eventually headed over to Peak 8 and took a run down Northstar which was the funnest run of the day. BTW, there are lots of really nice steeps to skiers right from the top of Peak 8 Super Connect which we plan to try next time - so much more to explore.

When we went in for the day we had a beer then decided to take the Gondola to the town but the line was super long and as a heads up my wife asked for alternatives. One of the ambassadors recommended we take the 6 pack lift up and ski 4 o'clock to the Gondola parking garage lot which we did. That was a pretty sweet way to get into town.

069d4326e7926fc97d1ebccba9db7aa6.jpg

A funny side note. We were making a quick run from Chair 5 and while getting closer I noticed a trail monitor going after my son. He not knowing continued and sent it off a roller landing switch and continued to ski backwards. By the time he was stopped there were three yellow coats around him we approached and asked what the problem was they said that he was skiing to fast, took a jump where there was a jump sign and said he was being wreck less skiing backwards. Opps! They cited him for the jumping where there was no jumping allowed.

Other pics

1741d75425ad32f312859636dd2053af.jpg

6ca4dd98ac53dc0344d685b1a3acbba7.jpg

838116335f24f3e9d2775c23a7eb1607.jpg

Wind blowing snow

fe015eb08b14f8f5f217a42e8348ac06.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

I hope to ski Breckenridge for a day or two in late Feb.

"BTW, there are lots of really nice steeps to skiers right from the top of Peak 8 Super Connect which we plan to try next time - so much more to explore."

You are right about above. One run I like in that area is Psychopath:
LL

dlague

I am learning a lot about Breck. We started with the obvious lines and are expanding our horizons. After skiing the back bowls at Vail we are eager to ski upper terrain at Breck. I like bump runs but not chest high bumps that I saw on some runs there.

gmcunni

I am learning a lot about Breck. We started with the obvious lines and are expanding our horizons. After skiing the back bowls at Vail we are eager to ski upper terrain at Breck. I like bump runs but not chest high bumps that I saw on some runs there.

Are you doing day trips from COS or did u get a seasonal place?

dlague

Are you doing day trips from COS or did u get a seasonal place?
Day trips for now. We looked for a seasonal rental but have not had much success. Day trips are easy. The trip to Vail is like day trip from Concord NH to Sunday River or Jay Peak. Loveland is like Concord NH to Killington. And Breck and Keystone are like going to Sugarbush or Bolton Valley. We do not mind the drive since it is very scenic going the back way.

dlague

rt 24/9 rather than 25/70?

For Breck always - 24/9. For Keystone, Abasin, Vail and Beaver Creek we watch for traffic times using Waze and consider the time of day, day of the week etc. Anything to avoid I 70 traffic. However on New years day We traved to and from on I70 with no problems at all.

Weather plays a big part as well. But 24/9 is consistent vs 70 is a crap shoot some times.

gmcunni

For Breck always - 24/9. For Keystone, Abasin, Vail and Beaver Creek we watch for traffic times using Waze and consider the time of day, day of the week etc. Anything to avoid I 70 traffic. However on New years day We traved to and from on I70 with no problems at all.

Weather plays a big part as well. But 24/9 is consistent vs 70 is a crap shoot some times.

good to know. thanks.

Monarch on your radar to try this season?

dlague

good to know. thanks.

Monarch on your radar to try this season?
Absolutely. Lots of people in the Springs with Monarch Season Passes since it comes with three lift tickets to 6 or so other resorts.

BTW we also plan on hitting Crested Butte, Steamboat, Cooper, Park City (quick hop to SLC), Beaver Creek and Purgatory (wife wants to do this because of the name). BTW, only Beaver and Cooper will be day trips others will require overnights.

In any case, those plus the others we have been to will make for a pretty darn nice season.