• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dartmouth Skiway 12/31/16

medfordmike

Skied 9 am - noon. Temperature ranged from 10-20 degrees. Overcast but no wind, packed powder conditions.

Many years ago I was a grad student at Dartmouth and had a season pass to the Skiway. At the time I was a more casual skier who only skied a few times a year at most. Over the years I have been bitten by the bug and now average about 25 days a season. I have wanted to get back to the Skiway to re-explore now that I could ski more of it. I had gone back last year after a 12 year absence but I hit it on a bad day during the worst season in my time living in New England. So today I decided to give it another go.

Everything was open but Lower LIft Line. All of Holt’s was left ungroomed and had really good coverage for so early in the season with no ice and only a few small hazards you could easily ski around. The Skiway does not have the height of the big mountains but that worked in their favor. The recent snow was all over the trails and I never found anything on the ungroomed terrain that was wind scoured, not even the summit.

Holt’s was like skiing on a private area in the morning. Wide open, good coverage, and no lines. I can’t even pick a run of the day over there since I enjoyed all of them so much. Snow was dense since it has settled but I have no complaints. The mountain even left some trails open ungroomed on the Winslow side including MD, Lower Chivers, and Cum Laude. Herman’s was open with huge whales yet to be pushed out. Given the family friendly vibe of the Skiway I was surprised so much was left ungroomed but no complaints.

Bottomline when the Skiway is fully up and running it is well worth a trip if you like a playful uncrowded mountain. It doesn’t have the steeps or hardcore technical stuff but if you want just a grin inducing day it is worth the trip.

IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG

chuckstah

I was there today as well. Holts skied great on the natural. Lower lift line was open a bit later but thin. Didn't ski it. Couple more pics, i have many that match
038a4d4b0349e9c3a620b702f5905725.jpg
330348bfeb60bc751ae9108a753217a0.jpg
281b791b208a290a217a8502daf382e6.jpg
yours lol!

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

frostyfreeze

Thanks for the reports. I came to the Skiway today my first time here. it is warm today. Really nice. I am in the lodge upstairs now (11:30 ish) and I estimate 1/2 to 2/3 of the tables are empty! I stopped on MD about 10am for a good 5 minutes and didn't see another soul.

I haven't ventured over to Holts yet. Herman's highway wth the whales was a bit too challenging for me but everything else I have tried has been great. A couple of patchy spots but with so little traffic it is no problem. Still finding spots where there are a few inches of powder.

The facilities are nice. Staff is friendly. Mostly families here. I really like this place and will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

frostyfreeze

I am on Holts now and it is even better! "Experts only" sign (for ungroomed). About one person for every 10-15 lift chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

medfordmike

I was there today as well. Holts skied great on the natural. Lower lift line was open a bit later but thin. Didn't ski it. Couple more pics, i have many that match yours lol!

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Funny thing is I took several more. When I got home I was like "what trail is that they all look kind of a like". I guess I will never be a travel blogger. Glad you enjoyed your day.

xwhaler

I actually think the Skiway has one of the nicest lodges in New England.
Apres Beers would have to be consumed at the car however---no bar there!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I actually think the Skiway has one of the nicest lodges in New England.
Apres Beers would have to be consumed at the car however---no bar there!

Since I avoid bars due to exorbitant mark ups -(I mean really, 4 or 5 dollars for Budweiser and 6 or 7 for something like Sam Adams? Not to mention $10 for two fingers of bottom shelf scotch)- I never judge a lodge by whether it has a bar or not. In fact, it never even occurred to me.

dlague

Since I avoid bars due to exorbitant mark ups -(I mean really, 4 or 5 dollars for Budweiser and 6 or 7 for something like Sam Adams? Not to mention $10 for two fingers of bottom shelf scotch)- I never judge a lodge by whether it has a bar or not. In fact, it never even occurred to me.
I like the vibe of a tavern or pub at a ski area. Especially if there is a band and Apres ski stuff going on. The lodge is not generally used by us. We of boot up at the truck or car, drop off lunch and bevs at said lodge where we might snarf and go. Otherwise, we often indulge in a beverage at the end of the day in the pub, bar, tavern or what ever the hangout spot might be. At Dartmouth Skiway there is no apres ski.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I like the vibe of a tavern or pub at a ski area. Especially if there is a band and Apres ski stuff going on. The lodge is not generally used by us. We of boot up at the truck or car, drop off lunch and bevs at said lodge where we might snarf and go. Otherwise, we often indulge in a beverage at the end of the day in the pub, bar, tavern or what ever the hangout spot might be. At Dartmouth Skiway there is no apres ski.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Oh sure, I get that. I just don't feel like paying for it any more. Guess I don't miss the ambiance. I do miss having a dart board. Nothing like playing darts with a beer or two.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone