• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay was awesome today 1/1/17

Savemeasammy

I met up with Madriverjack, Riverc0il and mrj's brother at Jay today. We spent most of our time on the Jet and did a few Bonnie runs. Most of our skiing was in the trees, and we were finding boot deep powder in abundance with the occasional knee deep or better drift. As the day wore on it was harder to find fresh tracks, but we still managed - right up to our last run.

We found some nice bumps just starting to develop under the Bonnie, and UN looked bumped up also, but we were having too much fun hunting for fresh tracks.

Late in the afternoon Riverc0il and I headed to the tram so that we could ski the ridge. We managed to get the last tram before they shut it down for wind. We had hoped to hike the ridge to hit one of the chutes up there, but it was roped off so we opted for the Face Chutes instead. It's early season, and the entrance was really sketchy, but the run was worth it. It was dense refilled powder, and we got to make our own tracks.

Best day yet for me.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1483320062.260651.jpg
Trees off the Jet waiting for some tracks. Don't worry, I took care of it!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1483320133.548615.jpg
Riverc0il drops into the Face Chutes.

That's it for pics. It was too friggin awesome to spend time getting my phone out!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

madriverjack

673173cefa37db1ecba2a3b6d9d3764d.jpg
1483362429353.jpg
55f14ffeb3ac88552865e42918f9ca4d.jpg
494efe1df8dde9aeba3e569cbc850df1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AlpineZone mobile app

watkin

I was up there on Jan 1st as well. They were one of the only places accepting a ski-vt pass on the first, so Bonus! The 9+ inches overnight just topped off this ridiculous holiday storm cycle. Et was huckable knowing you would land in 3 feet of soft. Lower down the mt you had to be careful as some creeks were still visible but even down low the base was monsterous. Sank straight down to my hips trying to put my skis back on after a creek crossing.

Interesting you stayed stateside although I can't blame you. Conditions were all you could ask for.

I started w green beret off the tram which set off the depth charges and spent the rest of the day riding the flyer to the trees in andres and green mt boys. Less people on the windy side...
Would have gone for the tram again but they closed it too early.

Pic of Andres:

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1483383128.525764.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
I was up there on Jan 1st as well. They were one of the only places accepting a ski-vt pass on the first, so Bonus! The 9+ inches overnight just topped off this ridiculous holiday storm cycle. Et was huckable knowing you would land in 3 feet of soft. Lower down the mt you had to be careful as some creeks were still visible but even down low the base was monsterous. Sank straight down to my hips trying to put my skis back on after a creek crossing.

Interesting you stayed stateside although I can't blame you. Conditions were all you could ask for.

I started w green beret off the tram which set off the depth charges and spent the rest of the day riding the flyer to the trees in andres and green mt boys. Less people on the windy side...
Would have gone for the tram again but they closed it too early.

Pic of Andres:

View attachment 21397

One of my favorite lines at Jay nice shot.

Savemeasammy

We were basically letting Riverc0il show us some stuff he likes, and that was stateside... I'm sure it was great everywhere!

powhunter

Great pics!! We had sloppy seconds yesterday! How did ya get madrverjack out of retirement? A few pics off the top

attachment.php

attachment.php

Savemeasammy

How was the top of Face Chutes where the drop is. It can get boney there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

The highest traverse was an absolute no-go. We had to go in a bit lower, and even there it was pretty sketchy. We had to sideslip a rock outcropping and then had to limbo under a branch (as in our asses were on the ground going through!). I should have taken a pic.

dlague

Been there done that with my boys so I know what you are talking about. The section where the picture is holds more snow but can be a challenge to get to.

Zermatt

189" season to date totally contradicts some photos I saw today on their Instagram feed today.