• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 1-1-17 WOW!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Time Skied: 8:15-4:00
Conditions: Packed powder, powder
Weather: 20s, wind, flurries and sun

What a great day! I'm 3 for 4 at Mount Snow with powder days this year and today was the best yet! 4 inches of super dry fluff on top of the 10 inches from Friday's storm! I chased the snow all day. Hit the main face early, hitting Exhibition and Hop. Once the Grand Summit's line was greater than ski-on I went to Sunbrook. Carinthia next up to escape the wind. Watched the video board to see when the North Face would open up and I booked it once I saw Outpost had opened. I got first tracks through the woods skiers left of Oylimpic. Hands-down the best run of the day. The upper part is still a bit thin where the evergreens block some snow from falling through but the lower part with the birch trees is fully in-play. Ripcord opened as a sweet surprise! Already down to its icy center by the time I hit it but the sides were great. Back to Carinthia and then the Main Face for more laps down natural trails mostly. Some naturals are better than others. Jaws and Uncles are trashed out while Hop and Shootout were snow-covered and deep. I guess a lot of natural got pushed around yesterday on some of the heavier traffic trails. Crowds were very small. Never waited more than a minute for a chair (didn't ride the Bluebird till after 3pm).

I was expecting a huge bottleneck through Wilmington as I left the hill at 4:15 but I never even had to wait for a light cycle. Seems like a lot of people are staying for tomorrow with the fresh snow instead of heading home, fyi.

Bluebird day from the North Face!
DSCF5659.jpg

Fluff on Chute
DSCF5662.jpg

Tin

When I saw "WOW" in the title I was expecting pictures of crowds and lines. Nice surprise!

drjeff

Yesterday was indeed awesome!

Not quite sure that Ripcord was icy, as I lapped it 4 times from about 12 to just before the Patriots kicked off at 1, on my 118 underfoot, full rocker, 30+ meter radius Blizzard Cochise powder skis that despise hard snow, and they were happy! Just lots of chalky, styrofoam like grippy snow all along the headwall. Opening day of the season on Ripcord and the morning after they winch it and make a bunch of snow on it, are some of my favorite skiing days of the year!!

The mountain overall was a blast the last few days, with the naturals in play, even if they were a bit thin in some exposed places!

And FYI, there's noticeably more natural snow on the ground at Mount Snow than there was up at Bromley today!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Mount Snow is looking nice coming into January. Under budget and ahead of schedule for the southern greens.

MommaBear

Missed out skiing New Year's day (as well as enjoying NYE festivities) due to a stomach bug NYE's day. Texted my son who had stayed in VT to ask how the conditions were. One word response: "AWESOME!"