• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico 1/7/17

bdfreetuna

Original plan was Killington but Pico's trail count went from 25 to 50 between Thursday and Friday evening's projected count for Saturday. 5" of snow from a day ago. I like Killington but for me it's more of an early and late season destination. Pico has the goods with less complication.

So Pico. Now, cold morning (5 degrees on the car thermo) and storm on the way for MA and CT. So crowds were pretty light. Ski on to the lift most of the time. Plenty of seating in the lodge and the bar upstairs for lunch.

First run was Gold Rush over to the Summit Chair. WOW such excellent corduroy, hero groomer snow. Best groomed trail I'd yet skied this year. Went fast, loved it.

Next up, Summit Glades. Great ungroomed surface. Everything from well formed bumps, to loose bumps, to bermy type stuff. Just nice packed powder, some scrapy spots but very forgiving overall. My Dad was with me and he loved it.

Then Upper Giant Killer, which was excellent. Big fan of this trail, I love the pitch of it. Chopped up powder on the right side and nice bumps on the left. Very fun trail to attack the fall line on.

Went into Poma Woods from Giant Killer. My Dad went the "right way". I took a sharp right into the woods thinking I'd score fresh pow. Which I did, but also ended up jumping a couple streams and hopping a log among other obstacles due to the just-passable snow depth. Thought I was gonna wipe out but I held on for the ride.

There was some nice loose powder on the sides of some trails, some untracked powder if you really hugged the sides on others.

Took a ride up Little Pico thinking let's try A-Slope. Upon inspecting it closer from the lift, thought this is a great idea to destroy my skis. As much rock and brush as snow. So took the A-Slope Cutoff which was really excellent and dumps you out below the rockiest part of A-Slope, so it was all good. Looking up from the Cutoff was doubly glad decided not to try A-Slope as it looked like a disaster. Did see a couple guys skiing it though-- and really well at that. They got a well deserved holler from the chairlift.

Tried some more woods after that like KA Glade (pictured below) and Pike Glades, they were good.

Only complaint was Outpost trails were "Open" but the lift wasn't running. Did not feel like hiking over there. I guess the lift is running tomorrow so if you're heading up there get those freshies.

Also I brought my wife's Killington Express Card by accident instead of mine, one of the ticket scanners saw it and starting talking like he had to confiscate it and how I was "busted". I was like, no this is my wife's, didn't realize it, no way are you taking this >>> went back to ticket counter got a voucher. Can't blame the guy for doing his job but it was an honest mistake and a harmless one at that (as we both have Express cards anyway and she's in Puerto Rico right now). At least customer service in the ticket office was much better and they didn't even question me about it.

So basically stuff like that all day, really good day out I'd say #2 so far this season just behind the pow day at Burke.

The guy in the pic in the woods below is my Dad. 63 years old and he skis any trail and most woods unless they look crazy.

Pico-Jan7-2017-5.jpgPico-Jan7-2017-2.jpgPico-Jan7-2017-3.jpg

Attachments

• Pico-Jan7-2017-4.jpg
    Pico-Jan7-2017-4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Pico-Jan7-2017-1.jpg
    Pico-Jan7-2017-1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 121

JDMRoma

Nice pics and thanks for the report

Would love to try pico one of these days

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Nice! Haven't been to pico for a few decades, but really love my memories of that place...hoping to get back there this year.

medfordmike

Great pictures. Was there today as well. Great day and low crowds. I also enjoyed A Slope after the cutoff. I agree the top looked way too thin. Also found Poma woods a bit too thin yet and quickly moved to "the right way". Gnomes was a hell of a lot of fun in the morning with the snow from Friday untouched. I know it is easy blues but it was just a lot of fun. i was with a low blue skier today form the morning and that area really boosted their confidence. First time they were not on something fully groomed.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Sunset 71 was really nice too. Kind of surprised this trail is rated blue, at least the upper portion. It's equally steep as Upper KA, and it was left ungroomed as opposd to KA which was groomed. Between the two it was clearly the more challenging run.

C-Slope also had the good snow with little traffic.

Not sure if the mountain will ski as well tomorrow... should still be good, especially Outpost area. I wouldn't hestitate almost want to go back there.

Don't think I've ever taken the Knomes lift before. Did send some friends that way after they took a first timer lesson at Pico last year.

Thanks for confirming my report medfordmike :)

And if y'all want to see some actually great pics go look at Stowe on Facebook right now :eek:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice report Tuna. Agree with you completely regarding K/Pico. Mid season I'll take Pico every time. Has the goods, but less complicated is a good way of describing it. Hope the interconnect never happens.

It's been about five years since I have been to Pico. It won't be this year, but I need to make it a priority to get back there next season.

Killington should sell Pico to Magic. Pico/Magic would make for a killer southern VT pass combination

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zermatt

How was the entrance to Giant Killer? Was really "grassy" last weekend then only coverage was next to the trees.

Is there enough snow off Knomes for them to groom?

It wasnt the 5" that got them covered. It was the sleet and 3" of plaster they got earlier in the week. The 5" was the final kicker to make it all skiable.

bdfreetuna

How was the entrance to Giant Killer? Was really "grassy" last weekend then only coverage was next to the trees.

Is there enough snow off Knomes for them to groom?

It wasnt the 5" that got them covered. It was the sleet and 3" of plaster they got earlier in the week. The 5" was the final kicker to make it all skiable.

Top of Giant Killer was fine. There was some brushy stuff on the right side near the top but it was mostly buried and I skied through it. Upper Pike had a lot more brushy stuff on the right side. Giant Killer was in great shape... 7.5/10 , worth repeat runs for me today.

Yeah it did seem like there was a nice edgeable base under the new stuff. That heavy snow is great stuff early season, or any time really.

edit: If by "top" you mean hiking up to the fire tower, I didn't do that. Cut in through Upper Pike. From what I could see looking up it was snowy though.

SkiRay

Great pics and looking conditions. Place is so under rated.

Our home mountain! We love PICO and can show you around for sure if you make it. We had a real abruption to our schedule, though should be there this weekend.

Ray

bdfreetuna

Will probably be next door at Killington. Not sure if it will be decent skiing but it's an opportunity for fresh air and exercise nonetheless.

SkiRay

Will probably be next door at Killington. Not sure if it will be decent skiing but it's an opportunity for fresh air and exercise nonetheless.

Hmm. Maybe we can join you there. Not sure if you saw our latest video.. The 1st few minutes should give you an indication of what is going on. Just posted it a few minutes ago.